PDA

View Full Version : LM-2 issues

Scoff
05-04-2009, 18:03
Anyone else got one of these janky piles of turd ?

Nothing works like it should :rolleyes:

1/ LogWorks software is so old that it does not understand what a USB port is, so Innovate bodged in a USB driver that emmulates a serial port. Great, except it is so sporadic it's un-true. If you switch the LM-2 off while LogWorks is running then your stuffed, you have to shut it all down, do a couple of power on/off's to reset the USB driver then re-load it. Stupid stupid software.

2/ The LM-configure program that installs when I install the LM-2 disc says it cannot work with that driver! I've come to the conclusion that I dont even need that software since I can configure the settings in the menu screen on the hand held itself. So why even include it on the bloody CD ? Just to confuse me presumably.

3/ The tacho input is a joke :mad: it took 1 hour of faffing about with potential dividers and so on to get it to read a signal, even then the data it records fluctuates +- 10% or so. The tacho signal is 100% clean, stupid stupid LM-2.

4/ MAP input went to plan a bit better, still records a lumpy trace, but copeable.

5/ The worst problem of all! Manual says it can record multiple log files to the included SD card, except the card refuses to record more than 1 log file! I have to wipe the whole SD card clean before it will record another plot.

Just me, or anyone else had these issues ? How did you rectify them ?

Going to send this off to Innovate to see if they can be bothered replying.

markey b
05-04-2009, 18:47
put it on ebay and get rid lol

Chris Hebden
05-04-2009, 19:06
S**t dude that doest sound fun! So the LC-1 cant cope and now the LM-2 cant what does that leave us???

Scoff
05-04-2009, 19:41
I would glady flog it on but short of spending big money on a better logger I will not be able to tune my car. You could argue "You get what you pay for" but for 300 pounds I'd fully expect the unit to be able to record a simple square wave train and a 0-5v signal smoothly - or at the very least I would expect the software to work reliably! But no, because in 2009 with technology being as cheaply produced as it is, you cannot any longer expect standards like this.

It's the same with most technology. Take mobile phones. In the past I've had an array of old Nokia's and the like, with hardware doing the proccessing. You pressed a key and the results were instant. They never crashed. Now, we have hugely over-complex machines running java and got knows what else that take an age to boot up, then it's slow to operate, then it crashes. What was wrong with the hardware solution of yesteryear ? It didn't look pretty enough ? Maybe not, but it funking worked.

Stupid cheap arse crapola, I hate it now and always will. Bring back 90's technology, they got the balance about right back then.

Mart
05-04-2009, 19:43
S**t dude that doest sound fun! So the LC-1 cant cope and now the LM-2 cant what does that leave us???

LM-1. Basic, but does the job.

Chris Hebden
05-04-2009, 19:45
LM-1. Basic, but does the job.

Struggling to get hold of one Mart. Graham Goode isnt showing as stocking them anymore

Mart
05-04-2009, 19:45
Going to send this off to Innovate to see if they can be bothered replying.

Go direct to the head honcho (*) if you don't hear anything back from Cort & co on 'after sales service' or whatever they're called.

* Klaus@innovate-tech.com

Assuming he still works there/assuming he's still top boy.

Mart
05-04-2009, 19:46
Struggling to get hold of one Mart. Graham Goode isnt showing as stocking them anymore

Aii mate, it's because they're discontinued in favour of the LC-1/LM-2. They do crop up on Ebay every so often though...

Chris Hebden
05-04-2009, 19:50
Aii mate, it's because they're discontinued in favour of the LC-1/LM-2. They do crop up on Ebay every so often though...

:disagree: i dont keep an eye out as much as i should, i am weary of trying other less branded (or not known at all) ones :crap:

Mart
05-04-2009, 19:57
If you can't sniff out an LM-1, the Zeitronix kit is supposedly good, as is the AEM unit.

The beauty of the Innovate gear though is the LogWorks software, although it seems the latter revision (and/or if you use a usb port for connection) is somewhat problematic going on Scoff's comments :crap:

Matt Cole
05-04-2009, 20:34
Must admit My LM-1 has been faultless!! I also have an lc-1 that im going to wire in as a permenant gauge. I hope it works!!

Rob@Backyardracing
05-04-2009, 23:02
Has anyone ran any other afr gauges then the lc-1, not to fust on logs as ive got lm1 for that, just fancy a fixed tidy looking gauge to have in all time aswell....

Ashy
05-04-2009, 23:02
Zeitronix all the way Scoff, great bit of kit just no good if you want to transfer it to other cars when mapping! (Although I guess you have the LM-1 for that?) You've seen the plots that my Zeitronix does, wasn't much more than £300.00.

Scoff
05-04-2009, 23:05
I should have ashy, I got hooked on the idea of the LM-2 since the LM-1 had been so reliable for me. I only have the LM-2 and the Tech edge WB interface these days. The TE kit was awsome, it would log anything and read RPM really well, unfortunately it requires a laptop in the car to record the data.

Chris Hebden
06-04-2009, 08:54
Zeitronix all the way Scoff, great bit of kit just no good if you want to transfer it to other cars when mapping! (Although I guess you have the LM-1 for that?) You've seen the plots that my Zeitronix does, wasn't much more than £300.00.

There a good price also! http://www.zeitronix.com/order/order.htm http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm worked out to be £186.98!

edit: delivery is $42 to UK, i have just been in touch with the company

Mike GTT
06-04-2009, 22:42
that kit looks fantastic with the LCD display aswel :agree: