PDA

View Full Version : Smoking problem.

bernard
04-04-2009, 12:16
Since my engine rebuild and new turbo Ive been getting a bit of smoke now and again but now seems to have got worse, all the time im boosting its fine its usually when I slow down like when I catch up with traffic then if I blip the throttle a cloud of blue smoke comes out then stops if I keep the pedal down. smoke also comes out when pulling up to park etc.

What Ive checked:
Compression test ( when warm )
4) 155 3) 148 2) 152 1) 152

Turbo (1400 miles)
Both sides of turbo seem dry,
small amount of play side to side,
oil return seems fine.

Breather system
checked and working ( full cup mod)

Stem seals ( 3-4 lifted ) but no blue smoke on start up

Mark from cr turbos is going to ring me on monday and possibly going to send back the turbo for them to look at. Has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong :scratch:

Sparkie
04-04-2009, 12:31
yes the problem is you fitted a new turbo to a new engine build.

any swarf or bits from the new build will have gone straight round the turbo. - the turbo guy will tell this from the state of the bearings when he takes it apart.

Scoff
04-04-2009, 12:34
I'll say probably the turbo since you just done a rebuild. It doesn't take much debris/dust/particles/crap in the oil to score a turbo's innards! They call it oil contamination.

Mart
04-04-2009, 12:35
its usually when I slow down like when I catch up with traffic then if I blip the throttle a cloud of blue smoke comes out

Sounds like classic turbo failure/it's on its way out.

bernard
04-04-2009, 12:39
yeah I see what your saying, the pistons and liners were not brand new and were in the block when I started all I did was change the bearings and cam etc. Hope this is not the case dont really fancy spending money on repairs to a turbo thats done such low miles. At least the engine seems ok what do you think about the compression results?

bernard
07-04-2009, 20:54
I sent back the turbo yesterday and getting it back tomorrow. Im really pleased with cr turbos the turbo did have oil contamination so wasn't covered by the warranty but because I brought it quite recently there only charging me what it costs them which is £95 for parts etc it makes a real difference when company's are helpful and understanding :). Ive brought a inline filter for the oil feed so should be safe now. Also ive reliesed I forgot to put on the one way valve in before so that could of a played a part in it, all well im getting there, all things that im learning.