PDA

View Full Version : removed choke,now it wont run

Mr 5
02-04-2009, 14:44
basically iv had a few gremlins recently,fuel gremlins.

car started running lean after giving it some stick,checked all pipes etc,fine,

so eventually assumed it was regulator as it had sprung a leak,changed,test drove,was worse?!next,fuel pump,got a brand new one this time,....problem was worse....

checked all pipes again,had a look at the carb this time,was reccomended to enlarge main jet,done.

tested,worse again.i dont get it?

now the car starts,idles fine for say 6 seconds then dies.starts fine again then roughly 6 seconds later dies?give it gas and its fine .....for the same 6 seconds,any ideas?

also while i was at it i removed the choke flap from the carb and blocked off the 2 holes that the choke flap slides into,this wont have affected things will it ?

TommyB
02-04-2009, 15:46
Long shot but have you changed the fuel pump relay?

My car kept cutting out and then wouldn't start. Then it would start and all was good till it happened again and again.

Might be worth trying one??????Or burrow a mates and see if its any better??

Just a thought, it might not help.....Where's RICHIE when you need, him he will know.

Sparkie
02-04-2009, 16:22
you only need to block the one hole, leading to the outer body.
you might have blocked the float chamber breather....

Mr 5
02-04-2009, 17:08
you only need to block the one hole, leading to the outer body.
you might have blocked the float chamber breather....

i shall try that, cheers :agree:

cheers tommy,tried the relay,bridged the wires,no problem's :)

Mr 5
02-04-2009, 20:26
un blocked the other half of where the choke flap sits....didnt help....next

Mart
02-04-2009, 20:43
Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but in this (cold) weather the engine probably won't idle from cold without a bit of choke on anyway, and if you've removed the flap and expecting the car to still idle as is, therein lies ya problem.

If you're saying it won't idle regardless of it being hot or cold, then ok, fair enough, there is a problem of some sort present.

Mr 5
02-04-2009, 21:04
yeh its doing it regardless of temp,even if i start the car,keep it at half throttle (say 3-4k revs) after 5-7 seconds it'l cut out

Mart
02-04-2009, 21:09
Next time it cuts out, don't crank the engine or anything, but whip the carb elbow off, then remove the top half of the carb (6 screws), and see if any fuel is present in the float chamber.

Report back your findings :)

Rob@Backyardracing
02-04-2009, 21:11
Have you changed the needle in anyway? as to me this was your fault from the off unless ive miss read somewhere....:confused:

Rob@Backyardracing
02-04-2009, 21:17
Have you changed the needle in anyway? as to me this was your fault from the off unless ive miss read somewhere....:confused:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=5347

wasnt this the start of your problems?

turbo ted
02-04-2009, 22:36
have you checked the fuel filter inside the petrol tank its at the bottom of the fuel sender where all the dirt lies in the bottom of the tank you can get to it from under you back seat:)

Mr 5
03-04-2009, 22:41
mart - checked and theres loooaaadsa fuel in there still

rob - yup that was the orrigional problem,but now it wont run,starts no problem,but keeps cutting out now rather than the origional problem of running lean :crap:

think it may somehow have something todo with removing the chokeflap so going to try and put it back on tomorow

and ted,checked and all fine there :)

Scoff
03-04-2009, 22:50
you have cleaned the idle jet out, right ? the idle jet always blocks once the carb has been apart, clean it out and your idle might well be restored.

markey b
04-04-2009, 11:26
mine had a fault where it would run ok, then cut out, and was after i removed and refitted carb without changing anything..

turned out i had a janky fuel pipe from FPR to carbtop that was malting inside, whip the carb top off and unscrew needle valve, i had little crumbs of rubber that would float about and then randomly block the needle valve.... new pipe and clean out the needle valve and it was back in business

Mr 5
04-04-2009, 15:37
ok put the choke assembly back on and cars running fine

back to my last problem now,running lean after 4-5 seconds of full throttle?

for those who havent seen the old thread iv changed fuel lines,fpr and fuel pump (all for new parts)

where do i look next? i dont belive that its emptying the carb as iv never had this problem befor and the car hasnt had any tuning parts or work done to it for over 5months now.

basically runs fine,AFR read fine but after 4-5 seconds @WOT afr starts to climb rapidly and you can feel the power die off

Scoff
04-04-2009, 17:31
you need to do some practicle tests. rig a fuel pressure gauge into the pipe that feeds the carb. remembering that you should always have 4psi more than boost, take it for a drive at WOT and watch the fuel presure. if it does not maintain 4psi more than boost then your problem is still in the fuel system. if the pressure is OK then it is carburettor related.