PDA

View Full Version : what would you run?

Ross99
13-09-2008, 22:07
guys i know this is a more than frequent question, but i'll eplaon myself first, i changed from mr2 turbo's and scoobs to the 5 as i wanted a track day toy, and a get me to work one.

basically my scooby was heavily lodded, but it was stated that i should run no ore than 1.2 bar safely on that.

but i see that there are a multitude of people well in excess of this on the 5's so in my lack of knowledge i'm lost as to how to get the best from my 5 (safely)

my mods
thicker head gasket and uprated bolts
pace intercooler
forge actuator
t2/25
some kind of stainless exhust

think this is all i have power influencing wise
what can i run bar wise? and what can be added to up it and to what level but not got big bucks etc.

Scoff
13-09-2008, 22:10
the problem is that you left out the spec of the most important thing, the carburettor :) Its the jetting of the carb and how well the fuel system works generally that dictates how much boost you can run safely.

Ross99
13-09-2008, 22:17
carb is currently standard but was going to order a 130 main and bit stuffed after that as i'm learning slowly, been stripping a 5 to swap some parts over etc, but nothing there tells me how these rockets propel themselves etc

5teve L
14-09-2008, 08:43
I wouldn't run more than a bar at the moment & a 130 main won't make that much difference on it's own....
Every car is different so you can't say what will be ok from one car to the next, well not without putting it on the rollers or having a wideband controller...
If you aren't going to mess with the 2nd stage then you will prob want a 130/140 main with a 1mm or .9 a/c to run say 16-18psi (about max for a T2/25), like i say though without wideband you won't know for certain...
These are rough estimates & as i say you really need to get a wideband on it (rr or buy one) to double check on boost...Sorry to go on about the fueling check but i wouldn't want your car to go bang.

Steve

Ross99
14-09-2008, 11:53
no your echoing what nayls has already said to me, but i was just after the information of what to add to my shopping list, so its allthere when i do get the chance to up the boost etc.

Shane P
14-09-2008, 14:01
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

You can up the boost when you have the carb setup to allow the fueling to do so. This is where the money should be spent.

If you dont, you will blow it up, simple as that.

5teve L
14-09-2008, 16:54
no your echoing what nayls has already said to me, but i was just after the information of what to add to my shopping list, so its allthere when i do get the chance to up the boost etc.

I was giving advice, if you've already had the same advice then why aren't you listening & doing something about it :smokin:

More boost = more fuel.. simple.

Ross99
14-09-2008, 19:02
simply getting ideas from all areas steve using the vast knowledge of the site, sorry

5teve L
14-09-2008, 22:57
If you want big power then you need to start with the carb, cam is optional, bigger turbo is a must, also bigger cooler probably....better exhaust if yours it 2".. list goes on but if you aim to go 1.5 bar + then wideband will save you a few h/g in the long run, you may also need a new uprated fuel pump...
You may see 160 odd with the mods you have now with about 16psi boost, really depends on the turbo spec & condition of engine..

Ross99
14-09-2008, 23:16
i know i'll get sucked in further but really want a figure around 160 to 180, the intended use is light track days and a comuter car, so not big power required for now, i will get a 130 main jet and .9 corrector ordered asap and see about finding a afr, to stay safe.

cars really more of a slow on going project into me learning about cars, most i've ever done is a hg change on a rover, so its a constant learning curve so all the help is very much appreciated.

5teve L
14-09-2008, 23:19
i know i'll get sucked in further but really want a figure around 160 to 180, the intended use is light track days and a comuter car, so not big power required for now, i will get a 130 main jet and .9 corrector ordered asap and see about finding a afr, to stay safe.

cars really more of a slow on going project into me learning about cars, most i've ever done is a hg change on a rover, so its a constant learning curve so all the help is very much appreciated.

Oh, you're right at home with a GT Turbo then :laugh:

Ross99
14-09-2008, 23:22
yeah kinda gathereing this, but its second time round so going to finish this one, but its a bit difficult, as i took on the project of stripping the green 5 and its getting in the way, fingers crossed it'll all be gone soon and the 5 can be a winter project and hit the road hard in the new year.