PDA

View Full Version : how to refurb coilovers

mightymanx
01-04-2009, 00:32
hello hopefully some 1 can help.
been looking at getting some coilovers.
but quite a few ive looked at are leaking how
hard is itto refurb them can you do it your self?
or do they have to go to a company if so how much is it to get done all help grate fully received thanx ?

stuTHC
01-04-2009, 12:10
It's probably possible you would be able to do it yourself, however you would probably need to buy, make or modify special tools to do it properly, which would cost as much as paying someone to do them for you.

I sent 2 Gaz front struts to Gaz last year for a refurb', off the top of my head i think it was about £85+vat for the pair doing, that was after id blagged a 15% discount off them though.

Sparkie
01-04-2009, 12:37
many moons ago i used to refurb the large hydraulic pistons on Hiab crane arms.

we used to mount them in a vice, and use a chain wrench or stilsons to get the cap off. if they were the recessed type we used a parallel punch to tap it round. we then used to take the seal down to the local seal manfaturer and buy one off them!

mightymanx
01-04-2009, 19:10
It's probably possible you would be able to do it yourself, however you would probably need to buy, make or modify special tools to do it properly, which would cost as much as paying someone to do them for you.

I sent 2 Gaz front struts to Gaz last year for a refurb', off the top of my head i think it was about £85+vat for the pair doing, that was after id blagged a 15% discount off them though.

so about 100£ to refurb them then?