PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like a diesel

TrixNFlix
31-03-2009, 20:32
Ok well I had what I thought was broken rings due to loads of oil in inlet. Had a spare bottom end so I thought I would put that in while I was waiting to rebuild my original block. Anyway it started up first time and sounds like a diesel! It's like a knocking sound but not like the vibrating noise that happens when the bearings go. I realize I havn't given you much to go on but any help steering me in the right direction would be appreciated.

RICHIE
31-03-2009, 20:39
Ok well I had what I thought was broken rings due to loads of oil in inlet. Had a spare bottom end so I thought I would put that in while I was waiting to rebuild my original block. Anyway it started up first time and sounds like a diesel! It's like a knocking sound but not like the vibrating noise that happens when the bearings go. I realize I havn't given you much to go on but any help steering me in the right direction would be appreciated.

it can sould like a diesel if the bearings have gone and also if the pistons are damaged.

TrixNFlix
31-03-2009, 20:59
ah ok thanks for the quick reply richie. One thing i noticed was a soon as the engine is turned of the engine stops instantly. Could this be down to friction on a bearing? This engine has been left to idle for a good 20 mins and if anything has become slightly quieter. Its never been reved passed 2k though. :sad2:

RICHIE
31-03-2009, 21:03
ah ok thanks for the quick reply richie. One thing i noticed was a soon as the engine is turned of the engine stops instantly. Could this be down to friction on a bearing? This engine has been left to idle for a good 20 mins and if anything has become slightly quieter. Its never been reved passed 2k though. :sad2:

pressuming oil pressure is good it may just have needed a little run if its been sat. its probaly got a little quieter as the oil warmed up and the engine lubed itself again. as for stopping straight away i would be guessing but if it starts up freely and idles ok then give it a gentle run see how it goes from there

TrixNFlix
31-03-2009, 21:12
It started on first turn of key and idles nice at about 900. Maybe ive just got used to the sound :). my gut instinct tells me dont be stupid and take it out it will end in tears:cry:. This is what happens when you buy an ebay bottom end recondioned 2000 miles ago special!!!:ashamed:

RICHIE
31-03-2009, 21:14
It started on first turn of key and idles nice at about 900. Maybe ive just got used to the sound :). my gut instinct tells me dont be stupid and take it out it will end in tears:cry:. This is what happens when you buy an ebay bottom end recondioned 2000 miles ago special!!!:ashamed:

have you got an accurate oil pressure guage plumbed in. that would be my priority.;)

TrixNFlix
31-03-2009, 21:16
yep youve guessed it non evident as the original one doesn't work. rocker shaft is coated though. :ashamed:

RICHIE
31-03-2009, 21:18
yep youve guessed it non evident as the original one doesn't work. rocker shaft is coated though. :ashamed:
that doesnt mean alot you need around 45psi oil pressure at around 3500 revs

TrixNFlix
31-03-2009, 21:25
i know i just trying to kid myself. :( . I'm not gonna risk it. Just ordering some pistons, rings, liners and bearings from cgb.:scared: 5 months and still no result. :cry: cant keep sinking this amount of money in every month. :rolleyes:

Misky
31-03-2009, 21:38
Keep it up mate, I have had a tough time with my 5. But when it starts coming together you will be glad you stuck with it. Know how you fell though.

TrixNFlix
31-03-2009, 21:45
Cheers misky ;) needed that. All i want to do i drive the bloody thing! oh well engine back out... again :rolleyes: one day life will be great :)

Misky
31-03-2009, 21:49
No worries! ask any member on here and they will tell you the troubles i have had lol
But now its running sweet just gotta find/fix this new oil leak :rolleyes:
but when thats done & its mot'd I will pop round to yours and have a brew :agree:

TrixNFlix
31-03-2009, 21:56
defo, :). But only when mine is working too. Dont want you mocking me with your working 5 :cooter:

TrixNFlix
31-03-2009, 22:14
Spoke to another member, and he is 99% sure its his old engine, which he sold as spares to the guy i bought it off on ebay. It had the bottom end knocking:cry:. I bought it on ebay from Andytuck3 as a reconditioned unit 2000 miles ago. What a wa***r. :mad:

RICHIE
31-03-2009, 22:29
Spoke to another member, and he is 99% sure its his old engine, which he sold as spares to the guy i bought it off on ebay. It had the bottom end knocking:cry:. I bought it on ebay from Andytuck3 as a reconditioned unit 2000 miles ago. What a wa***r. :mad:

you have pm

THE MASTER
31-03-2009, 23:03
did you put derv fuel in
;)

tiff_lee
31-03-2009, 23:16
Always beware ebay/piston head specials, every car/engine on there always seems to have been rebuilt....

raj
31-03-2009, 23:41

a shame you didnt want one when i was selling my rebuilds on ebay. i gave the buyers a cd with all the pics i took as proof of rebuild,pics are also in my album. im not one for ripping people off:agree:

its probably your own fault mate for not asking for any proof/receipts of the rebuild:(

Sparkie
31-03-2009, 23:59
a shame you didnt want one when i was selling my rebuilds on ebay. i gave the buyers a cd with all the pics i took as proof of rebuild,pics are also in my album. im not one for ripping people off:agree:

its probably your own fault mate for not asking for any proof/receipts of the rebuild:(

judging by the problems you had with your last build....would anyone have bought it?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MR TURBO
01-04-2009, 00:01
judging by the problems you had with your last build....would anyone have bought it?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bit below the belt innit :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

raj
01-04-2009, 00:08

lol, you t1t:laugh: :cooter:

my last build is still with me:D aint my flappin fault that the cam was a load of sh1te:brickwall:

will teach me not to do anything other than std spec as per my prev rebuilds. i decide to go non std with this rebuild and it just gives me grief :sad2:

Adam L
01-04-2009, 00:16
Isn't your avatar slighly ironic, Raj?:D

MR TURBO
01-04-2009, 00:20
Isn't your avatar slighly ironic, Raj?:D

PMSL :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://www.rhodesfamily.org.uk/blog/2005/09/pix/dastardly.gif

raj
01-04-2009, 00:25
PMSL :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://www.rhodesfamily.org.uk/blog/2005/09/pix/dastardly.gif

love itt:D

TrixNFlix
01-04-2009, 08:54
Hey raj, I should of checked the bottom end just as you should of checked your cam. :)

raj
01-04-2009, 09:29
Hey raj, I should of checked the bottom end just as you should of checked your cam. :)

exactly mate, exactly. that cam was seriously on the p1ss though:disagree:

TrixNFlix
01-04-2009, 09:56
Well i keep telling myself if i dont make mistakes i won't learn. I must be learning alot :D