PDA

View Full Version : lowerd front can any 1 help

mightymanx
30-03-2009, 19:59
sent the 5 for its ise of man test today.
wich is far stricter than the english mot.
the promlem i have i no is a well know problem.
the front is lowered 50mm.
on standard struts and when the springs are fitted.
into the struts.
and its all put together its not a tite fit.
because the 50mm spring is smaller the struts not compresing.
the spring enough. and when not in load the sping moves about
a promlem i have heard of before when lowerd 50 mm.
is there any thing apart from changing to coil overs that can be done.
as ive rarely seen 2nd hand coil overs thanx you

Alex
30-03-2009, 20:07
You can hold the coils steady with cable ties. There's a hole (or there is on mine) in the spring seats. :)

mightymanx
30-03-2009, 20:12
You can hold the coils steady with cable ties. There's a hole (or there is on mine) in the spring seats. :)

i did think of cable ties as i remembed the struts did have a hole in them.
thanx for your advice mate.:)
what would the test centre think of them being cable tied in tho ?

Alex
30-03-2009, 20:16
Your guess is as good as mine! :D

I know of one or two people that have done this in the past and have managed to get through the MOT...:scared:

RICHIE
30-03-2009, 20:21

thats amature. and if the there version of the mot is strict will it pass my guess is not. why not fit the correct springs.

mightymanx
30-03-2009, 20:34
thats amature. and if the there version of the mot is strict will it pass my guess is not. why not fit the correct springs.

yes the isle of man test is extremly strict
as we dont have yearly mots so it only has to have 1 test whn u gt a car from the uk.
probly would fail if i cale tied the springs
well i thought about putting 35mm springs on or some similar.
as there a better fit and probly wouldnt move about.
but the rear is lowered 50mm.
so if i make the front 35 it will be quite a lot higher than the rear.
witch i dont mind but am unsure what the testing centre would say about a unlevel car?

Blick
30-03-2009, 20:55
yes the isle of man test is extremly strict
as we dont have yearly mots so it only has to have 1 test whn u gt a car from the uk.
probly would fail if i cale tied the springs
well i thought about putting 35mm springs on or some similar.
as there a better fit and probly wouldnt move about.
but the rear is lowered 50mm.
so if i make the front 35 it will be quite a lot higher than the rear.
witch i dont mind but am unsure what the testing centre would say about a unlevel car?

if the 35mm fit well mate maybe sort the torsion bar to suite... probably wouldnt look as un-even as you would think just changin the fronts from 50-35!! i`d try it and if it dont look right you can always adjust the torsion bar. :agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4803

mightymanx
30-03-2009, 23:50
if the 35mm fit well mate maybe sort the torsion bar to suite... probably wouldnt look as un-even as you would think just changin the fronts from 50-35!! i`d try it and if it dont look right you can always adjust the torsion bar. :agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4803

thanx blick ive tried to do the torsion bar before and cant do it:cry:.
so id prefer to leave it like it is

phase i 16 v turbo
31-03-2009, 10:04
This is the same as in New Zealand, we use to wire the springs in place before our warent test. Just drill 2 holes in the top and in the bottom cup and then use some wire and twist the wire. After the warent we would cut the wires. It was a fail if when the car was jacked up the springs dropped.

Brigsy
31-03-2009, 11:50
Fit different springs for mot then refit the other springs after pass. My old apex 50mm springs weren't an mot failure with std de-carbon shocks though so yours may have been cut..

JRP
31-03-2009, 12:13
30/35mm springs are far better i found than the 50mm drop.

If it fails its no great loss:laugh:

mightymanx
31-03-2009, 19:51
This is the same as in New Zealand, we use to wire the springs in place before our warent test. Just drill 2 holes in the top and in the bottom cup and then use some wire and twist the wire. After the warent we would cut the wires. It was a fail if when the car was jacked up the springs dropped.

yes thats what the test people were moaning about when the car was jacked up and no weight.
the springs would move about would the wire still work?

Tony Walker
01-04-2009, 12:08
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I think i'd just talk to the tester. Tell him what it does and why you've tied/wired them in. mot testers are human, and im sure he'l realise that unless you jump the car off the ground your springs aren't going to come out. i think if you jumped a 50mm lowered 5 off the ground you'd have more to worry about than your springs. like your spine? :D