PDA

View Full Version : davies craig elec water pump

tubby5
29-03-2009, 17:59
ok i have a prob with the above:mad: my pump seems to be really struggleing.normally you can hear it buzzing and when you take the cap of the expansion bottle you can see the coolant gushing around,but when i turned the ignition on today all i can hear is the pump spinning really slow(prob about 2 rpm)and the coolant isnt even flowing.but i turned the ignition off and back on and it worked fine for 5min then started spinning slow again:sad::mad:

anyone have any experiance with these pumps,if i had the choice i would have an oe water pump but i cant because of my setup:( can they be fixed they look like a sealed unit to me????

Brigsy
29-03-2009, 19:41
Them pumps are crap mate:( Ill bet the seals are leaking internally. They can be replaced with a decent o-ring kit but still don't last 5 mins.

I had one years ago, Lasted a couple of months then failed. The pump would work fine with no water, but as soon as coolant system was filled it shorted the motor due to leakage. I think there made on the cheap with massive markup! I also had the controller for the pump & that failed...

A mate who owns a pro et drag car used one & replaced it a few times before going back to mechanical, id go that route if poss.

RICHIE
29-03-2009, 19:54
ive have heard of them failing have you got any pictures of how you have plumbed yours in mate im looking to ditch the entire oe water pump side of things to free up some room.

tubby5
29-03-2009, 20:46
the only pics i have are what are on my profile and you cant see the pump:(,to be fair when the pump was working it was great.the temps only ever went just above the 1st mark,if i could go oe pump i would but its not possible as im running a log type inlet manifold

the setup of the pump is pretty simple really,the pump is mounted on the inner wing drivers side which goes straight to the head where the oe pump would normally go.the coolant then exits the opposite side of the head and straight to the rad,with a few take offs for expansion tank and heater matrix:agree:

tubby5
29-03-2009, 20:48
where can you buy the o rings from???are they easy to replace????
the pump sounds like its starting to seize:cry:

Brigsy
29-03-2009, 20:53
I used an o-ring kit with various sizes in mate, should be able to get one from a hardware shop, ebay etc.

There simple enough to strip down, i rebuilt mine without any issues as far as i remember, was years ago to be fair!