PDA

View Full Version : bloody car! startermotor

alister
27-03-2009, 18:34
Right i work in italy and my 5 is in the uk, booked a track day in a months time and asked a mate to do some work on the car, change pads ect, so it was ready for some abuse, phones me up to say it wont start, batterys ok, but doesnt turn over.
The starter motor used to make a grinding noise after it started the engine like the engaging solenoid was sticking, any asked my dad to phone a local garage to find out cost of them replacing the starter motor, said its really hard to do, min of 5 hrs 330 quid if all goes well(plus startermotor), if turbo bolts seized will take longer, wtf! turbo bolts, why they on about them!!! unless they meant the headshield ones.
only had the car a week before i came back out to italy, im 2000 miles away and the car is still able to annoy me!

Penfold aka The Dealer
27-03-2009, 18:41
There must be a member in hampshire who could do this?

Its not a hard job, Ricardo did mine in less that a hour and that included chatting etc...

I can lend you a starter motor or 2...

soapymech
27-03-2009, 18:44
Right i work in italy and my 5 is in the uk, booked a track day in a months time and asked a mate to do some work on the car, change pads ect, so it was ready for some abuse, phones me up to say it wont start, batterys ok, but doesnt turn over.
The starter motor used to make a grinding noise after it started the engine like the engaging solenoid was sticking, any asked my dad to phone a local garage to find out cost of them replacing the starter motor, said its really hard to do, min of 5 hrs 330 quid if all goes well, if turbo bolts seized will take long, wtf! turbo bolts, why they on about them!!! unless they meant the headshield ones.
only had the car a week before i came back out to italy, im 2000 miles away and it still able to annoy me!

thats taking the p1ss even heatshield bolts?:confused:mate its around half hours work starter new is not even a tun i hate these kind of cooonts:mad:

raj
27-03-2009, 18:58
there taking the wee wee!

changing the starter can be done with the turbo in situ and would take no more than 1hr.

alister
27-03-2009, 19:06
im pretty sure theres a spare startermotor in the boot of the car aswell.
Its so frustrating, normally I do all the work on my cars except for when they pick things up on mot, but I fly back to stansted on the 26th of april and trackday is the 27th so it would be a mad dash to fit the new brake discs, pads, braided lines, downpipe, airfilter, cup mod and move the headertank that i had planned on getting done by my mate before im back.

I'm seeing fishead when i'm back for a chat about a rebuild, im waiting on a set of hoses from unstablecable, the brakes from rallydesign, getting a turbo off adam l when i send off my old one.

I've even considered letting gay tech pick it up rebuilding the engine, fitting a new turbo and startermotor for the pure ease of it all even tho i know it would cost me the earth!

raj
27-03-2009, 19:09
im pretty sure theres a spare startermotor in the boot of the car aswell.
Its so frustrating, normally I do all the work on my cars except for when they pick things up on mot, but I fly back to stansted on the 26th of april and trackday is the 27th so it would be a mad dash to fit the new brake discs, pads, braided lines, downpipe, airfilter, cup mod and move the headertank that i had planned on getting done by my mate before im back.

I'm seeing fishead when i'm back for a chat about a rebuild, im waiting on a set of hoses from unstablecable, the brakes from rallydesign, getting a turbo off adam l when i send off my old one.

I've even considered letting gay tech pick it up rebuilding the engine, fitting a new turbo and startermotor for the pure ease of it all even tho i know it would cost me the earth!

if you've got the money to splash out at ktec then go ahead. or you could ask if there are any members willing to do the work which i would think would save you some cash.

Penfold aka The Dealer
27-03-2009, 19:11
:agree: TBH there are plenty of members on here who can do as good/ if not better the KTR...

I personally when i want a rebuild next i will be calling theMaster

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=8

royz
27-03-2009, 19:38
:eek:how much. it a shame you not closer to manchester.

alister
27-03-2009, 19:45
well the cars at my parents, asked my dad to look after it...... he said he couldnt even work out how to open the bonnet the other day to have a look at it:rolleyes: