PDA

View Full Version : Seat Mounting (blue book)

James George
24-03-2009, 20:21
I currently have my seat mounted using standard OMP side mounts which are bolted to the floor via the original seat mountings on the car. To date I have not had this quieried by a scrutineer (who generally just pull hard on the seat to see if it moves which it doesn't), but not sure if this satisfies the blue book to the letter of the law. Is this considered an acceptable way? or half a job.

Anyone got any pics of how they mounted their seats? Additional strengthening or removing the oe mounting points and bolting directly to the floor via strengthening plates?

Kris M
24-03-2009, 20:37
James, the cup car had its seats mounted to the original mounts on the front ( with a metal strengthening plate in between

the rears were bolted through the floor into a curved box section under the floor

Alastair
24-03-2009, 20:38
James,

Im not sure about the MSA regs but heres a pic of how i have done it, by welding two plates accross the original mounting points and again in a third attachment at the rear. I then bolt the side mounts direct to the plates.:) Hope that helps.

James George
24-03-2009, 20:46
James,

Im not sure about the MSA regs but heres a pic of how i have done it, by welding two plates accross the original mounting points and again in a third attachment at the rear. I then bolt the side mounts direct to the plates.:) Hope that helps.

cheers for that, I take it the 3rd cross member you have added in is just short of the bottom of the pic.

Kris good info, any chance you can take some pics

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
24-03-2009, 20:47
Directly from 2009 Blue Book....this is what they want........

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
24-03-2009, 20:50
In reality......this is what they get..... (I never had a scrut. problem with this in over 5 years)

Rusty
24-03-2009, 20:52
I plan to fit bucket seats and was advised by scrutineers and some experienced race car builders to weld spreader plates on to the floor, so that it spreads the load in the event of an accident. If your planning to use the car for competition then check the 2009 year book or get in touch with a scrutineer, the last thing you want is arrive at the event and your car fails scrutineering. :crap:

Or as matt has displayed above

James George
24-03-2009, 21:19
In reality......this is what they get..... (I never had a scrut. problem with this in over 5 years)

mine is pretty much exaclty as your pic albeit with some big washers. anyone one have any opinion if this is considered safe? I've not had a scrutineer ever bother to look to see how the seats bolted down they just pull real hard to see if it moves.

Rusty
24-03-2009, 21:53
If yours is mounted similar to matts then i wouldn't worry too much, also if the scrutineers aren't too fussed then your cool. Just had a nose at your pics, i see a coil spring on your rear struts and i'm wondering how thats possible or am i being :homer:

James George
25-03-2009, 17:47
If yours is mounted similar to matts then i wouldn't worry too much, also if the scrutineers aren't too fussed then your cool. Just had a nose at your pics, i see a coil spring on your rear struts and i'm wondering how thats possible or am i being :homer:

just use a mini coil over (1.9" ID Spring) in place of std damper. got to be better than running on bump stops.

Rusty
25-03-2009, 23:19
Have you noticed a difference since you fitted the spring?