PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise from Turbo? non GTT

steveT2
13-09-2008, 10:38
First post!

First post!

:oJust wondering if any of you lads in the know with turbos can help with a prob/noise on a Glanza Turbo? they are US on the Glanza forum:crap:

OK, He bought a hybrid Turbo from the states (Cheapish but new) fitted it (all fine) new HKS ECU fitted and mapped, All fine, around 700 mls later a strange noise like a air leak, ended up taking the turbo off, A fair bit of damage to the blades with scoring on the comp housing, a peice missing from the centre of the comp wheel with damage to the blades (cant really see how anything would of got by the Airfilter) anyway they sent another Turbo, fitted it expecting all to be well. but the strange noise was still there,Turbo off again, no visible damage, Back in touch with the guy selling the turbos and he refunded the payment, So back on with the standard Turbo, guess what:confused: the noise is still there:( It seems to be coming from the turbo? with no filter connected you can hear it from the Turbo, Airfilter connected and its coming from the filter, when you blip the throttle its like or is a intake noise which isnt the norm:confused: Any ideas lads? really lost with it:cry:

A link to a vid with the noise? http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/leylandracer/?action=view&current=DSCF3218.flv

Cheers
Steve

Andrew Cooke
13-09-2008, 10:53
real turbo, or chinese copy?

Andrew Cooke
13-09-2008, 10:57
have you done a compresion test, or leakdown. Bits that fall off compressors have to go somewhere.

steveT2
13-09-2008, 11:03
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hi andrew.no it was a real turbo...not a crappy 1. did a compression test before it got mapped.all seemed fine.maybe i should do 1 now? theres no nasty sounds coming from the engine itself. no smoke ect.

Andrew Cooke
13-09-2008, 11:10
yep, do one now, you may have a damaged inlet valve.

Can you see the compressor wheel when he blips the throttle, you might see something happening.

steveT2
13-09-2008, 11:17

thanksandrew i will do test.and let u know how i get on with it

steveT2
13-09-2008, 14:57

hi did compresion test. there all working out near 160ish. any other suggestions? he's really lost now?

Sparkie
13-09-2008, 18:58

sounds like induction noise reverberating down the length of stainless pipe to me....

steveT2
13-09-2008, 19:26

sounds like induction noise reverberating down the length of stainless pipe to me....

No, With the filter pipe off you can hear it through the Turbo, same noise :confused:

Scoff
13-09-2008, 19:33
you need to find where the noise is comming from.

assuming it has a map sensor and not an air flow meter you could take the intercooler pipe work out bit-by-bit, working from turbo back to the throttle and see if you can pin point it that way.

Scoff
13-09-2008, 19:37
its not blown a vac pipe off somewhere has it ? sounds like a whistle or leak. or maybe part of the broken compressor wheel is lodged somewhere in the boost run, throttle or manifold!

Andrew Cooke
13-09-2008, 19:42
have you tried blocking the dump valve, I see it's a recirc.

THE MASTER
25-09-2008, 22:30
is the inlet cam timed up propperly
;)