PDA

View Full Version : worn rings.?

raj
21-03-2009, 22:08
regarding a b18ft engine with alot of fresh oil on 2 sparkplugs.

with the head off, how can i know or test if the piston rings are worn.?

also the same for valve guides? im assuming you remove the valve springs and check if theres any side ways movement?

Sparkie
22-03-2009, 09:39
pour thin oil onto all the piston crowns then watch to see how quick the oil runs away past the rings.

raj
22-03-2009, 15:46
pour thin oil onto all the piston crowns then watch to see how quick the oil runs away past the rings.

ok thanks, so is it just a case of seeing if the 2 suspected sets of rings drop the oil quicker than the rest.?
should the oil not be able to get past the rings if they where ok?

Scoff
22-03-2009, 15:57
thin oil is going to be the best but if your an impatient sod you can put the same ammount of fuel in each bore instead, a problem will usually show up after a few hours then. I'll leave a bit of fuel in each pot over night or something. ofcourse, this method is only any good if you are planning on changing the oil afterward ;)

THE MASTER
23-03-2009, 00:21
thin oil is going to be the best but if your an impatient sod you can put the same ammount of fuel in each bore instead, a problem will usually show up after a few hours then. I'll leave a bit of fuel in each pot over night or something. ofcourse, this method is only any good if you are planning on changing the oil afterward ;)
deisel fuel is good for this test
it is a thin oil and will let you know if a ring set is on its way out but also derv will soften and clean out the carbon build up in the ringlands
:agree: