PDA

View Full Version : buying a 5 - Advice

Mike GTT
20-03-2009, 20:51
buying an r5 with "a little rust"

basically i'm looking at purchasing a 5 pretty soon, there's a tungy one close to me which has just started to buble around the windsreen(bottom passenger side). i'm still awaiting pictures so can really show y'all

has anyone had experience in refurbing/sorting this? as to cost etc??

don't wanna spend my wonger on a sh*t box.....:crap:

raj
20-03-2009, 21:03
it all depends on how deep the rust has penetrated. if its surface rust that requires a rub down and prep then you'll be fine. make sure to lift the window seal to check for rust too.

i replaced the scuttle panel on my old 5, the panel comes as one whole piece(whole window surround) i sure i paid £120 for mine a few yrs ago,no doubt they've probably shot up in price!

i only ended up using the bottom part of the panel as thats the only area that was rusted.

if there is problems in this area its always best to have the windscreen removed as no doubt rust will have slowly worked its way behind the seal.

Mike GTT
20-03-2009, 22:38
what can i do if i'm just looking the car over before i buy??

if the rust hasn't gone all the way, how will i know??

the car is close, so saves me travelling outside of wales, and it has an mot and tax, both with 6 months left on them.

guessing i need to check sills. will i be able to see the rear bumper mounts with the bumper on??

cheers guys
Mike

JRP
21-03-2009, 00:29
If it was me looking at a 5 i would...

- Check the arches for rust
- Check the sills, and mounting points for bumpers etc for rust
- Check doors and the boot, floor pans etc blah blah blah
- Generaly that its straightish
- Any signs oh things being hidden (or attempted)
- Any structure rust or rot id be a bit weary
- Engine wise take it on a run you will hear strange noises but unless its ultra sinister dont worry to much

- Dont be to put off if their is not much or any service history, people tend to do it them selfs just judge the person as best you can ;)

i could go on for ages but id be teaching you to suck eggs:laugh:

Mike GTT
21-03-2009, 00:48
the engine doesn't really matter to be honest, i've got an engine nearly finished from the 5 i ended up breaking, so aslong as i can get it home i don't really care lol

the rust issue worries me though..... don't wanna end up scrapping another one :rolleyes:

JRP
21-03-2009, 00:51
What are you worried about, just from your post im assuming you scrapped it due to rust. That makes me think you must know a thing or two about renaults and rust already.

Go and look at it, if your unsure im sure a local member to you would go help you :) ask around :)

scratcher
21-03-2009, 02:56
I'd take a mirror on a flexi thing and inspection lamp/torch to look for hidden rust. Also a magnet is handy :)

Mike GTT
21-03-2009, 12:08
i now have an option of two, one of which had a respray around 12 months ago, don't know if he's on here?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/939292.htm

gonna try and make the trip up in the week..... :wasntme:

Duncs
21-03-2009, 12:13
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/939292.htm

looks like it would be worth every penny.

Mike GTT
21-03-2009, 12:18
my thoughts exactly....... finding someone to drive there so i can bring it back is becoming an issue though.... 277 miles each way lol

Sparkie
21-03-2009, 18:59
just another one to check...

left hand cubby hole in boot.
get your hand in -stick it in there as far as your arm will go. then press down on top of the arch metal...quite often your hand will go through...:(

Mike GTT
22-03-2009, 09:24
thanks for all the advice guys, i'm taking the train to have a look/buy it on saturday(28th?)

its gonna be a long drive home lol :D