PDA

View Full Version : Track engine spec/builders

alister
18-03-2009, 01:01
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Right, I am capable of rebuilding an engine, but I just havn't got the time to do it. So please no posts saying, its easy just do it yourself, I'm not in the situation where I can.
I want an engine that can take some abuse round a track, but still get me home at the end of the day, I'm not after big power numbers, quicker than the standard engine, I dont want massive lag so the turbo can't be silly big.
I'm after advice/experiance of people to help me spec the engine and find a company to build and fit it, its not a blank cheque engine tho.

Different cam needed?
Forged pistons?
Forged rods?
under piston oil spray?
Roller bearing?
knife edge crank?
lightened and balanced?

ok these are the usual things you hear bantered about but do you actually need them for a reliable engine? Could a basic rebuild and decent turbo provide what i need, or do you really have to go belts and braces for an engine?

the 2 usual companys bbtunning and ktec are around £1500 fitted, not including turbo for the basic engine, upto around £3000.

Turbo specs to suit the engine aswell, only experiance ive had with a different turbo is a friend many years ago on his r5, the standard turbo was great, but didnt last long at 14 psi, he got a md84r or somthing, was a t25 and you could tell it had alot more lag.

Anyway any help please.

5alldaway
18-03-2009, 01:26
in my opinion the standard stuff is pretty good already, with the addition of a oil cooler, oil catch tank, alloy intercooler

Os8472
18-03-2009, 07:48
I'd go with standard internals with uprated head gasket, FMIC, turbo back exhaust, air filter, T25 and give all the bits to Colski aka The Master

DaveMayGTT
18-03-2009, 08:46
Theres only 1 man to consider contacting if your in Portsmouth and need a engine rebuild, thats fishhead. He is absolutely top quality and prices are fair. Hes in Alton so easy to get to as well.

alister
18-03-2009, 09:37

cheers the info, so what t25 should i be looking at? and good companys?

RICHIE
18-03-2009, 17:53

cheers the info, so what t25 should i be looking at? and good companys?

speak to adam l he can hook you up mate regarding a turbo