PDA

View Full Version : First Run ...Missfiring..

Bass J
14-03-2009, 13:32
Ok my first technical help post here lol ..might aswell get use of my £25 :laugh:

Ok its a clio with a 5gtt engine in it.

I finally got it running yesterday...turns out its missfiring. It has been sitting for a fair few months. I have put new plugs,leads and distributor cap and rotar arm on it. Cleaned the idle jet just to get it running (all through advice of rob@backyardracing on msn Cheers man :agree:)

Are the 5gtt engines really this noisey on idle? Also its missfiring and ive no idea why as ive replaced most of the ignition system with new parts.

Vid Here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwYjUw3jxiQ

Im running a clio 1.2 fuel pump through the 5gtt fuel pressure regulator .. im new to carb'd engines so any advice would be great!

I aslo aint worried about how loud the exhaust is as ive yet to seal the connections :cool:

Cheers

Scoff
14-03-2009, 13:49
That sounds like it's only just catching the igniton, have you moved the distributor shaft ?

You want to get the engine at TDC (line the flywheel mark up with bellhousing 0°) and take off the dizzy cap - the arm should be pointing at either No.1 plug lead or No.4 plug lead. If its off by more than say 20deg then it might want correcting.

Could also be that it's running lean because its sucking air in somewhere below the carb. Check that your brake servo pipe is connected and not leaking. check that the breather system pipe is connected and has the restrictor in the pipe from the back of the manifold.

Scoff
14-03-2009, 13:51
also make sure that the thin pipe to the igniton module does not have any leaks along the way and that it is connected to the manifold, not carb top or whatever.

Bass J
14-03-2009, 14:00
Thanks for the quick reply scoff..

Im not soo clue'd up with engines lol ...my first engine conversion.

How do i tell when the engines hitting TDC? Also i havent removed the distributor drivegear but was told by the previous owner it always had a slight missfire.

Any pictures/guides to this would be great :agree:

stuTHC
14-03-2009, 16:08
I remember on your resto thread you said it was back firing throu the carb when you tried to start it, is it still doing that?

stuTHC
14-03-2009, 16:21
How do i tell when the engines hitting TDC?

Any pictures/guides to this would be great :agree:

A few ways.
Take the plugs out. Put a long screwdriver through the spark plug hole of No1 cyl. Turn the engine over with a 19mm spanner on the crank pulley bolt and 'feel' with the screwdriver when No1 cyl is at the top of it's stroke. If you now look at the flywheel through the cutout in the gearbox casing, you should see a line marked on the flywheel (engraved). You might need to turn the engine one way or the other a bit to see the mark as it's not easy to feel when the cyl is at TDC with the screwdriver, but it'll be around that point somewhere. Now line the mark on the flywheel up with 0 deg mark on the gearbox, then your at TDC.
Have you got a haynes manual?

Bass J
14-03-2009, 16:33
Its not backfiring through the carb anymore. Well i went out to go check some things ..went to take distributor cap off and a bit snapped in my hand :mad::mad: ...so pissed off with myself :( ...yet more money to spend on it :(

i do have a haynes manual for the 5 but i get frustrated reading them :laugh: