PDA

View Full Version : my efi converison

RICHIE
11-03-2009, 19:38
just thought i would post up some pictures of the efi conversion im doing using michael tierneys manifold. i havnt got a pic of it including the fuel rail yet as it still wet from being painted. i have some bosch 803 injectors to go in and have sourced all the other relevant parts from scoff ie trigger wheel crank sensor water temp sensor coil pack and ecu all available from http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/Products_1.html

my tubular manifold needs modifying slightly as the last run on it doesnt clear the inlet so just needs tweeking slightly.

will update with pics when the top end is completed with fuel rail injectors ect.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=365&pictureid=5125

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=365&pictureid=5124

Adey aka Ewok
11-03-2009, 21:07
is that one of mikes inlet adapters?

Rob@Backyardracing
11-03-2009, 21:11
Coming on well Richi... :agree: what size body you using?, i guess with the extension of manifold runners you can run a single fuel rail rather than two looped :confused: should look good.... still got all my clobber for an EFI coni sat on bench... May well carry it on one day but other projects come first at mo....

RICHIE
11-03-2009, 21:24
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=365&pictureid=5127

pic of the fuel rail now in situ

Schakal
11-03-2009, 22:45
that looks awesome mate ,fair play to you :agree::agree:
what sort of power are you hoping to achieve in the end ?

tubby5
11-03-2009, 23:00
what fuel rail are you using???

Noa33
11-03-2009, 23:10
looking tidy man thats gonna be a fine bit of engineering when its all together

RICHIE
12-03-2009, 18:24
michael tirney built the manifold up and made it so as for the parts hes used you will have to speak to him. as for how much power tbh ive not set a figure im not to interested in massive power just want some reliability and fun.

RICHIE
22-03-2009, 15:19
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=365&pictureid=5477

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=365&pictureid=5478

just a quick update on some pics that people requested regarding the angle of the injectors hopefull they give you a good indication. just need to make a bracket to hold the fuel rail in situ. will update in the week with more pics of coil pack and trigger wheel ect in situ

RICHIE
31-03-2009, 20:19
picture update of the trigger wheel and sensor bolted on to the crank. the pulley wheel sits behind the trigger wheel and the clearance between the wheel and sensor is 1-2mm.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=365&pictureid=5656

Rob@Backyardracing
31-03-2009, 20:22
Is that one of scoffs brackets? think i mite change my homemade one for this, looks tidy.....:agree:

RICHIE
31-03-2009, 20:26
Is that one of scoffs brackets? think i mite change my homemade one for this, looks tidy.....:agree:

yes it is mate its a very good fit and was convienient at that price i also got one of the coil packs he sells with ignitors but not to sure were to mount it just yet as i need to see what room i will have when the engine is in. might get some leads made up so i can move it onto the side of the block out the way of the rad and cooler.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
31-03-2009, 20:28
Do you have to take the VR sensor off to muck about with/change the auxilliary belt?

RICHIE
31-03-2009, 20:37
Do you have to take the VR sensor off to muck about with/change the auxilliary belt?

no the trigger wheel is only slightly bigger 10mm approx than the bottom pulley and does not interfere with fitting/removing the belt. the sensor shouldnt need to be touched.

scratcher
31-03-2009, 22:06
I'm well impressed with the work going into this mate.
The bracket for the sensor looks like it was there from the factory, top stuff :agree:
The wheels pretty sharp too, haha.

Ron
01-04-2009, 19:57
Is the sensor from a Fiesta as it looks the same as the one i use with my megajolt?

RICHIE
01-04-2009, 20:27
Is the sensor from a Fiesta as it looks the same as the one i use with my megajolt?

i would say its a fair chance its used on many cars i got it off scoffs efi site mate.

RICHIE
13-05-2009, 20:04
well after having the day off i decided to get my manifold modded to allow the inlet to fit. pretty happy with it at the moment still abit to do but at least its getting there.

TrixNFlix
23-05-2009, 18:18
Good stuff. When do you hope to be up and running for richie

RICHIE
23-05-2009, 18:20
well the head is all bolted up to the block now and all seems a good fit. all thats needed to do is paint the gearbox and fit the clutch then drop it in for the wiring of the ecu and plumbing up.

RICHIE
23-05-2009, 18:25
Good stuff. When do you hope to be up and running for richie

all depends on how much time i get mate just remembered im to order two new driveshafts :crap: i forgot there essential for it to move. the ecu will come with a basic map on it from scoff and he is also making me a loom up to make life a little easier. need to remove the old fuel tank as i have the alloy one going in the boot and need to source a new fuel pump. but pretty much there.

TrixNFlix
23-05-2009, 18:30
Fingers crossed for you Richie. I know that feeling though, their aren't enough hours in a day!

RICHIE
23-05-2009, 21:22
all depends on how much time i get mate just remembered im to order two new driveshafts :crap: i forgot there essential for it to move. the ecu will come with a basic map on it from scoff and he is also making me a loom up to make life a little easier. need to remove the old fuel tank as i have the alloy one going in the boot and need to source a new fuel pump. but pretty much there.

fuel tank now removed and new tank in situ just needs to be secured i didnt realise how much they actually do weigh and how much space it has created under the car now. have also decided to underseal it so thats a job for tommorow.

only thing im not sure on is the capacity of my new tank at 5 litres i got a feeling im going to be forever filling it up.:(

Andrew Cooke
23-05-2009, 21:30
only thing im not sure on is the capacity of my new tank at 5 litres i got a feeling im going to be forever filling it up.:(

5L LOL, my hillclimb tank is 6L :laugh:

3mins running FTW

RICHIE
23-05-2009, 21:34
5L LOL, my hillclimb tank is 6L :laugh:

3mins running FTW

if you were to drive normally how many miles will you get out of that mate. the weight i just lost may be gained with the amount of jerry cans i will have to carry:(

RICHIE
23-05-2009, 21:45
picture of the tank in situ im only guessing its roughly 5 litres. i will probably end up doing a matt not normal and break down on the first lap.

Andrew Cooke
23-05-2009, 22:04
if you were to drive normally how many miles will you get out of that mate. the weight i just lost may be gained with the amount of jerry cans i will have to carry:(

30 miles maybe...

your tank looks bigger than 5L, what are the dimensions?

having the filler neck inside the car ensures the insides always stink of fuel, plus it's a right arse filling it up.

RICHIE
23-05-2009, 22:09
30 miles maybe...

your tank looks bigger than 5L, what are the dimensions?

having the filler neck inside the car ensures the insides always stink of fuel, plus it's a right arse filling it up.

i will measure it up tommorrow it looks bigger in the pic tbh. what was the arithmatic for working out volume again :eek:

Andrew Cooke
23-05-2009, 22:20
1L = 1000cc = 10cm x 10cm x10cm

so if your tank is 20cm x 20cm x20cm = 20x20x20 = 8000cc = 8L

RICHIE
23-05-2009, 22:23

thankyou andrew :agree:

RICHIE
23-05-2009, 22:32

its 2 gallons so near 9 litres still not many miles though

RICHIE
26-05-2009, 20:43
just got back in from outside undersealed the underneath of the car and looks spot on.

RICHIE
18-06-2009, 19:50
well thanks to markymark and rich aka gt nutter we dropped the block and box in last night and today i spent a few mins fitting the head up ect . got to make a cross member to allow my intercooler to fit then i will get the rest plumbed in then im going to have a go at wiring up the ecu.:eek:

RICHIE
18-06-2009, 19:56
a pic would help

TrixNFlix
18-06-2009, 20:02
Looking great Richie.:) Is this gonna be an everyday car, or just weekends and track?

TrixNFlix
18-06-2009, 20:05
Sorry just remembered size of fuel tank. :ashamed:
track it is!

RICHIE
18-06-2009, 20:06
Looking great Richie.:) Is this gonna be an everyday car, or just weekends and track?

hoping weekends as well as track days.

TrixNFlix
18-06-2009, 20:09
What turbo are you planning , some sort of t25 so it's not to laggy on track?

FurioKid
18-06-2009, 20:16
that looks well tidy mate, would love to put EFI on mine but wouldn't really know where to begin and how much it would be to do the work??

RICHIE
18-06-2009, 20:30
that looks well tidy mate, would love to put EFI on mine but wouldn't really know where to begin and how much it would be to do the work??

beginning it is the easy part its finishing it thats the tricky part me thinks.

FurioKid
18-06-2009, 20:51
yeah i know what you mean so as to make it look nice and tidy, but to be honest you've done a great job

RICHIE
03-07-2009, 18:49
A little more progress due to time ect but it a update never the less

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z205/RICHIE0800/03072009005.jpg

modfather
03-07-2009, 19:01
thats a very nice bay chap

Andrew Cooke
03-07-2009, 19:02
are they bluetooth spark plugs?

looking good :)

Mudslinger
03-07-2009, 19:11
looks nice m8 :cool:

have you removed the dizzy completely ?

RICHIE
03-07-2009, 19:17
looks nice m8 :cool:

have you removed the dizzy completely ?

im yet to make something to fill the dizzy gear drive i know i need most of it to drive the oil pump but i was hoping to fabricate something to finish flush with the top of the block. im sure sure were im fitting the coil pack yet so was going to get some leads made up to the exact length just to look tidy.

Nayls
03-07-2009, 19:24
are they bluetooth spark plugs?

:laugh:

Mudslinger
03-07-2009, 19:39
im yet to make something to fill the dizzy gear drive i know i need most of it to drive the oil pump but i was hoping to fabricate something to finish flush with the top of the block. im sure sure were im fitting the coil pack yet so was going to get some leads made up to the exact length just to look tidy.

i was planning to get something cnc machined ,to use as a cap ,ive just never got round to it :crap:

RICHIE
03-07-2009, 19:43
i was planning to get something cnc machined ,to use as a cap ,ive just never got round to it :crap:

ive not looked into it yet maybe we will have to get our heads together to knock something up. it cant be that hard

Os8472
04-07-2009, 15:09

I ain't got anywhere with it either myself, all I did was cop the pin the rotor arm slides over off and make up a flate plate of ally and screwed it down

RICHIE
04-07-2009, 16:33
I ain't got anywhere with it either myself, all I did was cop the pin the rotor arm slides over off and make up a flate plate of ally and screwed it down

tubby 5 has done a simlar thing. im going to have a look tomorrow and see what i can come up with ideally i want it to sit flush with the block and be totally forgotten about .

Mudslinger
04-07-2009, 17:05

got a pic ?

tubby5
04-07-2009, 17:28
i just got a cap made up,seemed the easier option,also my dad has had his modified it sticks out of the block by about 2" looks really neat

TNT ANDY
05-07-2009, 10:27

Hi Richie - looking very good indeed, I'm doing the same conversion but you're a little ahead of me in many ways. Just as a thought though, I have a coil pack which I intend to mount on top of the rocker cover so that the leads are as short as possible. Got the idea off my mrs' cooper 's' (not a real mini) which looks very good.

TNT ANDY
05-07-2009, 10:29

Is ally a good material to use for this???

Or am I being too picky?

RICHIE
05-07-2009, 11:24
Hi Richie - looking very good indeed, I'm doing the same conversion but you're a little ahead of me in many ways. Just as a thought though, I have a coil pack which I intend to mount on top of the rocker cover so that the leads are as short as possible. Got the idea off my mrs' cooper 's' (not a real mini) which looks very good.

i was just going to mount the pack on the front of the block make up a little bracket and get some leads made to suit i may have a play with that later im just in the process of relocating the header tank at the moment.

RICHIE
05-07-2009, 11:31

i just read a thread it seems your ahead of me mate as you have the ecu installed

Os8472
05-07-2009, 15:53
This is what I did with my dizzy, I'd like to do somit that is level with the block but for now this will do
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=75&pictureid=7247

This is where I mounted the coil pack, its a ford job off a 1995 fiesta
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=75&pictureid=7248

Because of the coil pack sitting so far from the head I had to get some custom HT leads so I visited http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ and ordered some resistive core, supressed plug caps and dizzy straight connectors which fit into some adaptors I already had from Halfrauds

And thats what they look like
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=75&pictureid=7249

RICHIE
05-07-2009, 16:32
This is what I did with my dizzy, I'd like to do somit that is level with the block but for now this will do
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=75&pictureid=7247

This is where I mounted the coil pack, its a ford job off a 1995 fiesta
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=75&pictureid=7248

Because of the coil pack sitting so far from the head I had to get some custom HT leads so I visited http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ and ordered some resistive core, supressed plug caps and dizzy straight connectors which fit into some adaptors I already had from Halfrauds

And thats what they look like
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=75&pictureid=7249

the route seems to be a little big for my liking i was just going to fit mine at the front of the block as i do have a reasonable amount of space there

Os8472
05-07-2009, 16:36
the route seems to be a little big for my liking i was just going to fit mine at the front of the block as i do have a reasonable amount of space there

I know what ya mean, I would've liked to get it abit closer but there was little choice cus it was either in the inner wing where it would be nice and cool but the long leads or mount it on the front of the block where the leads wouldn't be much longer than standard but it would get very hot

Scoff
05-07-2009, 16:39
Coilpack should be mounted on the engine block if you can. Failing that mount it on the body but have a good earth strap connecting engine and body near where the coilpack is mounted. You can get into a world of EMI and poor spark if you don't.

Os8472
05-07-2009, 16:42
Coilpack should be mounted on the engine block if you can. Failing that mount it on the body but have a good earth strap connecting engine and body near where the coilpack is mounted. You can get into a world of EMI and poor spark if you don't.

I can understand the advantage of having it on the block but surely mounting it else where with a good earth is better cus you don't get the heat issue?

Scoff
05-07-2009, 17:15
I can understand the advantage of having it on the block but surely mounting it else where with a good earth is better cus you don't get the heat issue?

Well, you should compromise. you are after creating the most direct and resistance free earth return for the spark. the cylinder head is the earth for the spark plug. You have many kV of spark potential that needs an earth. You don't want to be creating a big earth loop in the HT circuit by having the coilpack mounted meters away from the nearest body-to-engine earth, it can cause a lot of inteference. But as you say, too much heat isn't good either. Somewhere on the front of the engine block would be a winner - short HT leads, a cool location and a good earth.

Os8472
05-07-2009, 17:37
Well, you should compromise. you are after creating the most direct and resistance free earth return for the spark. the cylinder head is the earth for the spark plug. You have many kV of spark potential that needs an earth. You don't want to be creating a big earth loop in the HT circuit by having the coilpack mounted meters away from the nearest body-to-engine earth, it can cause a lot of inteference. But as you say, too much heat isn't good either. Somewhere on the front of the engine block would be a winner - short HT leads, a cool location and a good earth.

So basically we're fecked lol

RICHIE
08-07-2009, 20:24
better picture of progress now you can see the scuttle cover template in situ so im going to knock a carbon fibre one up maybe even stick to the white. i changed the header tanks plans slightly got rid of the heater matrix hoses all together along with the swirl pot so minimal hoses in there now. just means i have no heating but thats ok i got a rtoc fleece if its cold. also decided today i didnt like the oe horn setup so removed the bracket for that and replaced the huge one with a little tiny one which can be heard rather than that little pwarp noise.

Kempy
08-07-2009, 20:43
Looking good Richie. :agree:

TNT ANDY
12-07-2009, 10:31
i just read a thread it seems your ahead of me mate as you have the ecu installed

No really - believe me when I say you're streets ahead, mines running on a base map (ignition only ATM - Fuel injection is my winter project) but more StuTH than what you're doing, If I had more time and patience I would do the kind of build your doing. Mines going to be simply solid and functional. Lovely engine bays and fantastic bodywork aint my thing due to time. I'll put some photo's up and you'll see what I mean. There's a few of us over here in the east keeping a keen eye on yours and we're looking forwards to see it coming together. Keep up the good work.

AS

TNT ANDY
12-07-2009, 10:49
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=712

There you go - and not to forget to mention I would still be scratching my head without the help from Scoff with the Adaptronic stuff.:smokin: Cheers fella

RICHIE
12-07-2009, 11:01

There you go - and not to forget to mention I would still be scratching my head without the help from Scoff with the Adaptronic stuff.:smokin: Cheers fella

good work fella i take it the earth for that coil pack goes to the block does it rather than the rocker cover. is it now up and running. i must admit the bay does make me want to come round and clean it. ;) have you got any plans for a inlet manifold for the winter project then.

TNT ANDY
12-07-2009, 14:23
good work fella i take it the earth for that coil pack goes to the block does it rather than the rocker cover. is it now up and running. i must admit the bay does make me want to come round and clean it. ;) have you got any plans for a inlet manifold for the winter project then.

The ground it through the 3 x m6's through the coilpack to the base plate which is welded directly to the rocker cover which in turn has 3 x m8's directly into the block and an additional pigtail from the coilpack connector to one of the rocker cover nuts. How good this will perform under stress I don't know but it runs ok in the garage, the rpm's are steady and consistant. I'm sure Scoff will put me right on this if he reads this :):):).

I already have the same inlet set-up as your good self and any time you want to come round and clean my engine bay up you are more than welcome.;)

RICHIE
12-07-2009, 14:48
The ground it through the 3 x m6's through the coilpack to the base plate which is welded directly to the rocker cover which in turn has 3 x m8's directly into the block and an additional pigtail from the coilpack connector to one of the rocker cover nuts. How good this will perform under stress I don't know but it runs ok in the garage, the rpm's are steady and consistant. I'm sure Scoff will put me right on this if he reads this :):):).

I already have the same inlet set-up as your good self and any time you want to come round and clean my engine bay up you are more than welcome.;)

great yarmouth sounds like a little road trip. i need to pull my finger out and get my ecu and loom ordered up through scoff also but i keep finding other things that need altering and modding just realised i also need to get a tap to tap the end plate on the cylinder head for the temp sensor and still sort the dizzy drive out.

Scoff
12-07-2009, 16:22
Andy, the rocker cover may not be earthed, it sits on a rubber seal and the nuts have fiber washers beneth them remember. The earth in the loom is only for the ignitor circuit, the HT coil iteself needs to earth through those 3 bolts, so maybe it's worth running a strap from the rocker cover to block to be sure.

RICHIE
12-07-2009, 16:29
Andy, the rocker cover may not be earthed, it sits on a rubber seal and the nuts have fiber washers beneth them remember. The earth in the loom is only for the ignitor circuit, the HT coil iteself needs to earth through those 3 bolts, so maybe it's worth running a strap from the rocker cover to block to be sure.

thats why i mentioned it also scoff as i was thinking the same.

TNT ANDY
12-07-2009, 16:52

Will do ol Scoffy man!:smokin:

Os8472
12-07-2009, 18:14

Andy mate, thats comin on a treat, can't wait to see it up and running

TNT ANDY
12-07-2009, 18:39
Andy mate, thats comin on a treat, can't wait to see it up and running

Cheers Olski - it'll just be ignition atm.

Right on with busting that rust.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr:devil:

Os8472
12-07-2009, 18:40
Cheers Olski - it'll just be ignition atm.

Right on with busting that rust.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr:devil:

U don't wanna have a crack at mine do ya:crap:

Andrew Cooke
12-07-2009, 18:48

A couple of points on your pictures:

IMO...

you need the header tank for the charge cooler circuit to be the highest point of the system.

You need some way of ensuring that the air gets out of the top of the CC and into the header tank.

Maybe that's all sorted, but it doesn't look like it to me :)

TNT ANDY
12-07-2009, 19:26
A couple of points on your pictures:

IMO...

you need the header tank for the charge cooler circuit to be the highest point of the system.

You need some way of ensuring that the air gets out of the top of the CC and into the header tank.

Maybe that's all sorted, but it doesn't look like it to me :)

Hi Andy - Thanks for those pointers, I have bled the system when I filled it. Will that not be adequate?

Os8472
12-07-2009, 19:28
Hi Andy - Thanks for those pointers, I have bled the system when I filled it. Will that not be adequate?

I think you've hijacked Riche's thread abit mate, maybe u should start ya own

RICHIE
12-07-2009, 19:30
I think you've hijacked Riche's thread abit mate, maybe u should start ya own

its sound on my side as its all relevant and a good chance to share ideas in the same thread.

Os8472
12-07-2009, 19:32
its sound on my side as its all relevant and a good chance to share ideas in the same thread.

fair enough then, Andy, hijack away lol

TNT ANDY
12-07-2009, 19:35
fair enough then, Andy, hijack away lol

oops - oli - quite right back to the point ..

New thread started about header tank location.

TNT ANDY
16-07-2009, 22:29
Got any further Richie ???
:confused:

RICHIE
17-07-2009, 16:59
Got any further Richie ???
:confused:

not alot finished of part of the boost piping cylinder head end plate is being sent to scoff to have two sensor holes tapped into it. also got the strut brace to figure out i just need the bar making accross as it interferes with the pipe work. then need to get my ecu ordered up but was doing all the time consuming jobs first

Os8472
17-07-2009, 17:38
not alot finished of part of the boost piping cylinder head end plate is being sent to scoff to have two sensor holes tapped into it. also got the strut brace to figure out i just need the bar making accross as it interferes with the pipe work. then need to get my ecu ordered up but was doing all the time consuming jobs first

Looking good dude, keep at it, it'll be worth it in the end

TNT ANDY
17-07-2009, 18:11
Yo Richie - what injector rail are you useing? I've got me a Skoda felicia item - not too sue what to do with the FPR at the mo.

TNT ANDY
17-07-2009, 18:17

2 sensor holes?

Os8472
17-07-2009, 20:03
2 sensor holes?

Air temp in the boost pipe and coolant temp in the end plate

RICHIE
17-07-2009, 20:07
Air temp in the boost pipe and coolant temp in the end plate

nope one for my stack dash and the other for the ecu side of things so both going in the end plate

RICHIE
17-07-2009, 20:08
Yo Richie - what injector rail are you useing? I've got me a Skoda felicia item - not too sue what to do with the FPR at the mo.

you would have to ask michael what the fuel rail is from mine already came with the fpr on it so yet to see how it goes

RICHIE
25-07-2009, 15:45
Very small bit of progress thanks to tnt hammond i now have a boxed in the air filter behind the headlight cheers fella http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z205/RICHIE0800/22072009037.jpg

BriC
25-07-2009, 15:50
Tidy!

TNT!hammond
02-08-2009, 11:02
looking good fella, glad it fitted ok, was worried about the diffence between the 2 cars . If it was a mini it would never have been the same ;)

Os8472
02-08-2009, 13:27
Very small bit of progress thanks to tnt hammond i now have a boxed in the air filter behind the headlight cheers fella http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z205/RICHIE0800/22072009037.jpg

Nice:agree: