PDA

View Full Version : fitting side exit

djinuk
10-03-2009, 08:01
ok folks, i got hold of a ktec side exit jobby from cgb at a decent price. Now my question is , does it fit on the standard mounts, as obviously there is now the need for a hanger to the side of the car if you get me. Also with it being 2 1/2 bore will it mate onto my standard down pipe ok.

Bigfoot
10-03-2009, 08:06
It will mate with the standard bore but might blow a bit, exhaust paste might hold it. In the end I just replaced it with the bigger downpipe. As for the mounts, my car already had two bars on the side to mount the exhaust to the sill so not sure if thats standard or had to be welded there, im guessing standard as that question hasn't really been asked on here.

Kempy
10-03-2009, 11:29
its pretty easy to fit. Yeh the bracket is there as standard it also bolts up to a hole thats already under the car as it turns 90 deg. You should of got a rubber washer with it? I would defo get the largedown pipe

raj
10-03-2009, 20:03
under the car as it turns 90 deg. You should of got a rubber washer with it?

im about to fit mine too, regarding the 90deg bend, is THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=400028381419&Category=43122) the part that holds the 90deg bend part up in place.?

UNICRONICUS
10-03-2009, 20:07
im about to fit mine too, regarding the 90deg bend, is THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=400028381419&Category=43122) the part that holds the 90deg bend part up in place.?

Yep, it also absorbs the vibration of the exhaust and usually breaks after a while!

raj
10-03-2009, 20:13
Yep, it also absorbs the vibration of the exhaust and usually breaks after a while!

lol, on my last 5 i just bolted this area of the exhaust directly to the bracket under the car.. never had any probs.

raj
11-03-2009, 18:03
just fitted mine today.

i dont suppose someone could tall me how far from the bottom of the sill there side exit hangs.? i ask as i think mine looks a little low!? from the bottom of the sill to the top of the sidey i have a gap of 2 1/4". does that sound about right?
i just find it strange as theres quite abit of room left between the underside of the car and the sidey.! its almost like the hanging point at the end of the sidey is too long resulting in it hanging too low:scratch: i may just be over worrying as usual:rolleyes:

tiff_lee
11-03-2009, 18:55
I used to use them on my old mini they were absolute crap, the weight of the backbox would pull the things apart.

SPENCER
12-03-2009, 15:50
In about 3/4 years of owning my sidey I only had 2 of those rubber mounts snap on me and I think one was caused by bottoming the sidey out on a road hump.

If anyones interested you can get the rubbers with the bolt on either end from parkers.

Just tell them to search the computer for "mini bobbin"

I think they are only about a quid each

They have them on ebay aswell but at a silly price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250379835315&cguid=9432971611f0a0e20275c9e5fea49f58

raj
12-03-2009, 16:15
In about 3/4 years of owning my sidey I only had 2 of those rubber mounts snap on me and I think one was caused by bottoming the sidey out on a road hump.

If anyones interested you can get the rubbers with the bolt on either end from parkers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250379835315&cguid=9432971611f0a0e20275c9e5fea49f58

i just popped in to halfords to get mine.

J$£5GTT
12-03-2009, 18:57
my bobbin kept breaking so i used one of these,go visit your
local skate shop-

http://socalskateshop.com/images/products/thumb_bluegkbush.jpg

also used a nyloc nut to make sure it does not come loose!
:)

raj
13-03-2009, 17:30
urggh:crap: i cant seem to get mine to seal up properly at the downpipe join:crap:

although i havent yet used any exhaust gum to aid sealing i was still expecting it not to blow! will try again tomorrow.

also there isnt really that much room to position the bolts/springs that you use to mate the parts together! seem REALLY tight and isnt that far from the steering rack and rear engine mount. i suppose this is due to it being larger bore and also me using a larger bore 1piece dp.

Spooky
13-03-2009, 18:12
My side exit is pretty much hanging off...the 90deg bend is literally hanging by an exhaust hanging rubber and the exit point bracket has completely broken off !

Its literally only held in place at my downpipe!

I'm planning to get it off and get it rewelded/sorted etc

May even ditch the exhaust itself lol

Kenobi
13-03-2009, 20:52

Where the hell have you been. I miss you.

old skool turbo power
13-03-2009, 20:54
urggh:crap: i cant seem to get mine to seal up properly at the downpipe join:crap:

although i havent yet used any exhaust gum to aid sealing i was still expecting it not to blow! will try again tomorrow.

also there isnt really that much room to position the bolts/springs that you use to mate the parts together! seem REALLY tight and isnt that far from the steering rack and rear engine mount. i suppose this is due to it being larger bore and also me using a larger bore 1piece dp.

i got my side exhuast about 3 months ago and i had the same prob?
the side exit bore is (slighty) larger.
having taken my old exhuast off i had slaped on the new one and thinking at the time it would be all good but when i started the engine i 'thought' it was blowing abit?so i took it for a drive and just noticed i was not getting the full power as from before:confused: after a close look it was blowing :(
i think there is about a 3mm gap from the std down pipe to the new down pipe the only way i thought to get rid of this was to cut the end off the old down pipe(the flange i think its called) .this will act as a cup like and will sit just into the new down pipe flange kinda like a adaptor and just adjust it so it sits tight its abit fiddley though and it stoped the blowing :) i think just pasting it up will cause it to crack due to the heat of the exhuast imo.

raj
13-03-2009, 21:20
My side exit is pretty much hanging off...the 90deg bend is literally hanging by an exhaust hanging rubber and the exit point bracket has completely broken off !

Its literally only held in place at my downpipe!

I'm planning to get it off and get it rewelded/sorted etc

May even ditch the exhaust itself lol

if i had the time i would have shortened the hanger that holds the exhaust exit up. imo its too long and i need to be shortened by 2",the way it'll sit just under an inch from the bottom of the sill.