PDA

View Full Version : Tailpipe sniffer clamp

Mart
01-03-2009, 22:21
I know Innovate sell them, but is there a company more closer to home who can supply these?

The rickity old thing I have has pretty much given up the ghost now, so I'm after a replacement.

Scoff, what d'you use mate?

Scoff
01-03-2009, 22:33
Come on mart, you think I would spend money on a piece of tube that I could make myself in about 20 minutes ? ;) I made one, about 1" tube with a boss welded in. It has a clamp welded to the underside with an M10 bolt to clamp it into a tail pipe.

Mart
01-03-2009, 22:37
I thought as much ;) Good arrows mate :agree: :)

Fancy knocking up another one in exchange for some beer tokens?

dave j gtt
01-03-2009, 23:11
Come on mart, you think I would spend money on a piece of tube that I could make myself in about 20 minutes ? ;) I made one, about 1" tube with a boss welded in. It has a clamp welded to the underside with an M10 bolt to clamp it into a tail pipe.

yours seemed to work a treat on my sidey as well chris :wasntme: head gasket still in one peice ;)

Brigsy
02-03-2009, 11:55
Im interested in a cheaper one than the innovative effort, its a bit steep at £50 imo.

Mart
04-03-2009, 13:17
I thought as much ;) Good arrows mate :agree: :)

Fancy knocking up another one in exchange for some beer tokens?

:coffee:

:(

Scoff
04-03-2009, 23:11
I don't mind knocking some up if you like, I need to buy the bung's in, £15 + p&p, rtoc bargain price ;)

I'll grab a picture of the one I made, it's pretty handy, fits into most tailpipes. If you have a big silly bean can style (scorpion and so on) then it is sometimes a bit tricky to line it up with the outlet of the silencer, if you get my drift, else the gas passes the sniffer by. Real exhausts will be ok ;)

Mart
04-03-2009, 23:20
Cheers breadbin. Knew you wouldn't let the team down :agree: :)

Let me know what the £ damage is, and I'll stick you some beer tokens in the post.

Unfortunately, I do have a bean can style tailpipe, but pretty sure I can adapt it this end so it's more in the exhaust flow.

Brigsy
04-03-2009, 23:26
Ill have one aswell scoff, pm me the price & ill square you up:)

Scoff
04-03-2009, 23:30
How good am I, pictures n' all. here's the new one, the old one was bigger which was an issue with side exits. I could use round tube if you want, I just find the square clamps up better ;)

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Scoff/sniffer.jpg

Mart
04-03-2009, 23:38
Scoff, any chance of adapting that 'arm' to be a bit more distant from the body, just to help it fit more central in my tailpipe? (5" :o )

Scoff
04-03-2009, 23:40
You barry :laugh:

if it's further from the main tube though, how will it clamp tight ? or does your tailpipe have an inner dia. much smaller than the outer ?

measure it up, scribble it up in MS paint or something with dimensions and I'll make it ;)

Brigsy
04-03-2009, 23:46
I thought you were leaving the engine o.e on this gtt anyway mart;)

Mart
04-03-2009, 23:52
Wake up Brigski, I'm on about the heave ho innit ;) :D

Scoff, you're missing out (not). 5"+ tailpipes are all the rage in the Jap scene, even more so if they angle out from the bumper... :crap: :sad2:

I'll scribble you something tomorrow daytime mate, but for now, it doesn't have an inner section, just literally a bean can outlet. There is a bolt-hole about halfway along the pipe though, which is used for securing a silencer bung in place, hence I was thinking of utilising that.

Scoff
04-03-2009, 23:57
Ah I see, no problem. get some dims inc the length of the sensor tube itself (so that it is close to the outlet of the silencer) and send them down.