PDA

View Full Version : lots of turbo noise, not much go

djinuk
28-02-2009, 16:43
Ok , i have just got my r5 gt through its mot. Now this is this its my first r5, however i believe it seems to making lots of noise when spooling , however the car is not pulling like it should.. Is this what is known as a boost leak, and is the soulotion to the problem to find the leak in any of the boost/vacume pipes >?

guessing its a fairly straight forward thing to you lot , but this is my first turbo car.

MR TURBO
28-02-2009, 16:58
Ok , i have just got my r5 gt through its mot. Now this is this its my first r5, however i believe it seems to making lots of noise when spooling , however the car is not pulling like it should.. Is this what is known as a boost leak, and is the soulotion to the problem to find the leak in any of the boost/vacume pipes >?

guessing its a fairly straight forward thing to you lot , but this is my first turbo car.

Yes i'd give that a go first check pipes coming off the turbo and carb connections!!!

RICHIE
28-02-2009, 17:12
check for a boost leak first of all if all pipes are tight and secure and not split try the intercooler fill it with water and check for a leak. make sure the ignition side of things are also spot on

djinuk
28-02-2009, 17:33
ok, i will do that, upon first inspection it was all fine, but i think i will simply undo it all , and give it all a check over whilst making sure it all goes back on tight. As for ignition it does not seem to missfire at all, and all the plugs , dizzy arm and leads are brand new, anything else i should check on the ignition side of things.

jure
28-02-2009, 19:13
In 90% cases they split under the hose clip so best way is to remove both boost pipes and see whats going on. Nothing to worry about...

djinuk
28-02-2009, 19:47
sweet, well thanks for the advice guys, i will keep you updated on my findings.

dave j gtt
01-03-2009, 01:05
In 90% cases they split under the hose clip so best way is to remove both boost pipes and see whats going on. Nothing to worry about...

or rear brakes sticking ever so slightley ;) my cars crap now!, my rear brake calipers are goosed. car suffers on performance.

djinuk
01-03-2009, 09:41
lol, yea i remmber my 205 brake caliper getting stuck on, needless to say it happened just as i went after another 205 gti that left me for dead.

Ive been told it may also be the actuator.

Trevhib
01-03-2009, 09:56

In 10 years of GTT ownership and a few boost leaks, mine has never turned out to be from under a hose clip. It's often the culprit but not 90%. If it's not from round one of the clips, don't assume there isn't a leak from elsewhere around the pipes.

dave j gtt
01-03-2009, 23:08
do you have a boost gauge ? what boost dose it produce ?

Kenobi
02-03-2009, 09:43
I think his rear beam is bent. would that affect the brakes?

BriC
02-03-2009, 09:57
I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a split diagphram in my Dump Valve. If you have a Dump Valve, check that too :)

dave j gtt
02-03-2009, 18:37
if his rear beam is bent and the brakes are in poor condition :crap: theres a a chance.

if brakes are in good condition, and not sticking on, beam would not effect the speed it goes unless very badley bent.

all at my best geuss :scared:

As bric has said, dump valves can leak and cause what your experencing.

may be its over spooling and boostin , but is retarding its self to pervent damage, hence why it slow .

my mates got a gtt from over bradford, the autuator was far to tight was over boosting and made loads of noise on spooling and didnt go any were :crap:

i sorted it :)

djinuk
02-03-2009, 22:05
Well good news folks, i found my turbo problem, Bolts were lose and 2 were missing, all tight and now i have fun and its fun :)

However more problems, oil leak..!