PDA

View Full Version : Gt Turbo Rear Beam On A 5 Door ???

sly-sy
25-02-2009, 22:00
First post!

Have been doing some tinkering with a 5 door i have recently purchased ( dont ask why !! ) lol many reasons but mainly

Got pissed off with chasing rust on my old GT shell so gave up n gone for u ****ed up route of

Turbo'ing a 5 door !! - pics to follow.

Fink u Would be pissed off getting ya ass handed to ya by a 5 door campus !! thought makes me laff so much i just had to do it !!!! plus all me mates have ripped me for 4 years now ( how long 5 shell been off the road ) about how long i've taken.

have worked out that all mounting points are the same distance width wise and lenght wise on rear axle - on the mounting bolts and centre line of hub nut to mounting bolts are also the same

but

the only difference is the distance between the drum face ( where wheel contacts drum) is : 1350mm on the 5 door

The distance on the GT axle - disc face to disc face is: 1385mm

Giving a difference of 35mm ( which is 17.5mm each wheel)

I rekon it will fit coz the 205/40/17's i put onit, it rubbed quiet badly and needed 'dressing' with a hammer on the inner arch and always remembered that there was quiet alot of room between inner wheel to inner arch clearance on my GT

already had new bigger clio master cylinder, calipers refurbed by biggred and customised by myself on the milling machine, brake lines and brake bias valve to go in 3 door so just changing lenghts and run so... GAME ON!

Just wondering if anyone knows if this has been done before?????? and where there any pitfuls?

Seems the floor plan is roughly the same size as the GT - main difference is 2 extra doors - obviously !
Worked out that everything else fits, big brakes, brake hoses, steering wheel boss, bucket seats, ktec roll cage and rear brace bar, even the sub frame!! - thus engine, rack g/box and all other parafinallia for the turbo conversion. Plus i can still use me stainless exhaust system, mounting points for silencer are in the same place, even bolt holes for auxillry fuel tank but have binned all that for a in car fuel cell. Mate has already made a harness converter for me to put GT clocks in place :)

swapped front wings on 5 door for gt one so arches fit, carisma side skirts fit plus front & rear ktec bumpers for intercooler, only small issue is the rear arch plastics, slight bit of fetaling stil required..

Next problem to get head round is if the Phase 2 dampers will go straight in with GT hubs and drive shaft?? - will soon find out.

Any help will be much appreciated ! :) cheers everyone

sly-sy
26-02-2009, 18:57
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Anything anyone???

Brigsy
26-02-2009, 19:06
I dare say it will fit ok. The only problem would be the wheels catching the arches, but if you have fettled the arches previously then should be ok.

Gtt front struts/hubs will bolt straight on.

TNT Tricky Nicky
26-02-2009, 19:26
I've known them to go straight on the tl so can't see why not, give it a go and see what happens

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
26-02-2009, 19:42
The hand brake cables might be somthing to think of?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
26-02-2009, 20:00
......mind you, saying that, you can de-adjust the handbrake travel on the lever and I'm sure there is enough length in a GT item to stretch the distance created by the extra door.....