PDA

View Full Version : gutted , no mot :(

djinuk
25-02-2009, 09:18
My R5 was booked in for mot this friday with my friend, the car seems pretty sound, although it has foglights that dont work, and does not have a horn, apart from that i dont believe it to have any problems. However my mates been stopped from doing mot's for a while :(

Tiny Tim
25-02-2009, 09:22
Dodgy certificates?

Just get the horn working, remove the fogs for now and get it booked in elsewhere if you're that confident.

djinuk
25-02-2009, 09:28
not so much dodgy, lenient is the word, brakes , steering rot etc he wouldnt let me get away with, just minor things.

Tiny Tim
25-02-2009, 09:31
Well, mixed feelings on that. Whilst its nice having a linient tester (most of us know one) its probably best that testers do their job properly. Law is law after all.

Just book it in anyway, you never know, it might be good news!

djinuk
25-02-2009, 09:33
true man, problem for me is i have to swap my insurance over from current car , onto r5, drive the r5 to mot, then if it fails swap insurance all back over blah blah blah, sooner get it about right, thing im gna throw a horn on it with some dodgy wired in push button , and remove them fogs.

Penfold aka The Dealer
25-02-2009, 09:51
I felt the same about my grey 5, never mot'd or used it for about a year, about an hours work to make sure lights, washer, worked etc.. took it to the MOT garage and it only just failed...

Got it repaired and it passed yesterday... Took it to the MOT garage yesterday and it passed, its nice to know i am selling my car with a 100% legit MOT test, not even a friendly mot tester...

Brigsy
25-02-2009, 11:35
Get temp ins to take it to the mot station with, dayinsure etc.

Horn must work for mot, so get that sorted or be prepared to fail. Front fogs arent part of the mot so don't worry about it, Rear foglight must work though.

djinuk
25-02-2009, 11:43
ah thanks for that info, so i can leave my front fogs in without any problem, however i must check the rear fog light works. sounds ok to me. I think i may book it in for saturday, and spend friday getting them final bits done.

TNT Tricky Nicky
25-02-2009, 13:37
Front fogs arent part of the mot so don't worry about it, [/QUOTE]

They're not required for an MOT but if they're fitted they must be in good working order. Chances are they won't check them but depends on the tester, most would let it slide

Tiny Tim
25-02-2009, 13:38
Front fogs arent part of the mot so don't worry about it,

They're not required for an MOT but if they're fitted they must be in good working order. Chances are they won't check them but depends on the tester, most would let it slide[/quote]

Hence why I said to remove them... its like a spare wheel... Not needed, but if you've got one it has to be road worthy/legal.

TNT Tricky Nicky
25-02-2009, 13:45
I kno that's what you said, was agreeing with you tim, was under The impression from djs last post he was gonna follow some wrong advice but leaving it to him to decide what he wants to do

djinuk
25-02-2009, 13:48
yea ill be removing the fogs, car hasnt got a grill but guessing thats not really a problem, brakes seem ok, not sure about the wishbones but meh. Guess i beta just fit a horn and check through the lights.

Tiny Tim
25-02-2009, 13:50
Grill will depend on the tester, but you should be ok. They'll fail a car if there's any 'sharp' bits externally.

djinuk
25-02-2009, 13:59
ah i see, well i snapped the clips holding it on, wonder wherther they would prefer a insecure grill, to no grill lol.

TNT Tricky Nicky
25-02-2009, 14:01
Do you kno why horn isn't working? Maybe worth tryin a new relay as that was where my problem was

Tiny Tim
25-02-2009, 14:01
Cable ties FTW.

So long as they're obscure ;)

djinuk
25-02-2009, 14:23
well i look for the original horn and its not there, nor do i believe any of the wiring to be. :(

DaveMayGTT
25-02-2009, 16:02
My horn didnt work just before the MOT, my m8 had the good idea of just holding the horn down for a minute or so and after a while it whined a bit and then came back to life. Works fine now!
Obviously not the case if you have no wiring :P

djinuk
25-02-2009, 16:22
well i have friday off work, i am goign to pop a horn in on a push button, clean the car, remove fogs , check tyres and lights etc, and its booked in at anotehr place at 9:00 am sat.. wish me luck

scratcher
25-02-2009, 17:15
My horn didnt work just before the MOT, my m8 had the good idea of just holding the horn down for a minute or so and after a while it whined a bit and then came back to life. Works fine now!

My horn didn't work untill the day of its MOT, I done the same holding down trick on the way there. It doesn't work anymore though :(

And mine passed with the fogs not working and no grill, or petrol flap, under-light trims and a broken bumper.
But as its been said, it'll be down to the tester on the day.

Brigsy
25-02-2009, 17:37
I kno that's what you said, was agreeing with you tim, was under The impression from djs last post he was gonna follow some wrong advice but leaving it to him to decide what he wants to do

Fail. Ill Quote from the mot handbook

"Any additional position lamps are optional and are not included in the inspection."

"The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980."

At most all they can do is put it as an advisory. Ive had a few jalopy's mot'd in my time i know the crack with stuff like this;)

Have a read of this http://www.ukmot.com/1-1.asp#Text_top

fishead
25-02-2009, 18:19
Fail. Ill Quote from the mot handbook

"Any additional position lamps are optional and are not included in the inspection."

"The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980."

At most all they can do is put it as an advisory. Ive had a few jalopy's mot'd in my time i know the crack with stuff like this;)

Have a read of this http://www.ukmot.com/1-1.asp#Text_top

agreed, front fogs are a non testable item, front grille doesnt have to be there as long as there isnt any sharpe edges anywhere

J$£5GTT
25-02-2009, 20:05
if you have stripped out the rear seats dont the belts still have to
be present to pass the mot?,or is that not true?

MR TURBO
25-02-2009, 20:14

I had mine mot'd not that long ago just before xmas-ish and they dont mind no rear seatbelts as long as ya aint got any rear seats......But they do mention it as an advisory tho ;)

Nick k
25-02-2009, 22:16

I sprayed WD40 down the inlet tube of mine. Major ERROR. Its washed all the greese out the horn compressor and now sounds like its got a chesty cough :(

fishead
25-02-2009, 22:55

no seats, no belts mate