View Full Version : baffled sump

J$£5GTT
24-02-2009, 22:17
is it worth having one on a road car,or if the car is
to be tracked alot?
:)

jure
24-02-2009, 23:40
No need for it really. Sounds cool but with appropriate oil level even on track isn't essential.

Big Jim
25-02-2009, 19:16
No need for it really. Sounds cool but with appropriate oil level even on track isn't essential.

True enough. Personally though I really don't like big open sumps like the 5 has. The oil may not move around enough to uncover the pickup (although with softies on I can't imagine that would be too difficult!) but it does slosh up into the path of the crank and I just don't like the idea of effectively sticking your oil in a blender, aerating it and damaging your viscosity modifiers etc... Therefore I do like to baffle, but more as a means of controlling were the oil can move to rather than trying to hold it in one place, if that makes any sense?

Os8472
25-02-2009, 19:34
I gotta go with Big Jim, I perfer to play it safe when it comes the oil and coolant systems

Penfold aka The Dealer
25-02-2009, 19:38
I gotta go with Big Jim, I perfer to play it safe when it comes the oil and coolant systems

And how many head gaskets you gone through :D Only joking, how is the beast?

Os8472
25-02-2009, 19:52
And how many head gaskets you gone through :D Only joking, how is the beast?

Head gaskets aren't killed directly by oil issues.

The beast as you call her is under going a major engine revamp and alteration, namely New bottom end build with a new engine colour scheme, a custom tubular manifold, external wastegate and some other little bits and pieces, saw ya thread on ya new cup, looks good, you gunna bring it to Nat day?

:scared: 4

clee
25-02-2009, 19:57
Are we getting all blinkered again and talking 5 tech :rolleyes:

I know the GTA would benefit from a baffled sump :mad: I must lose half a liter out the dipstick tube every time I go out on track :smokin:
Anyone who's ever been behind me will testify ........

Tiny Tim
25-02-2009, 20:00
Are we getting all blinkered again and talking 5 tech :rolleyes:

I know the GTA would benefit from a baffled sump :mad: I must lose half a liter out the dipstick tube every time I go out on track :smokin:
Anyone who's ever been behind me will testify ........

Yeah, I saw you polluting at Mallory. Filthy habit. :sad2:

J$£5GTT
but what real damage/failure could occur if a baffled sump was
not used,if any?...and unless the oil was very low would the oil
pump just be sucking in air?

Os8472
Yeah, I saw you polluting at Mallory. Filthy habit. :sad2:

Funny though :laugh::laugh::laugh:

clee
25-02-2009, 20:09
Laugh it up mini-skip boys ......I've got 7.5 liters in my big ole sump so I don't think starvation will ever be a problem .......It could do with being restrained a tad though :scratch:

Os8472
25-02-2009, 20:15
but what real damage/failure could occur if a baffled sump was
not used,if any?...and unless the oil was very low would the oil
pump just be sucking in air?

Lots of nasty things, if your pump is sucking air and not oil it could starve your turbo of oil leading to shot bearings and maybe oil seals or knacked blades as they hit the inner housing.
It cause wear on ya main and big end bearings, which we all know is not good.
Your cam could excessive wear which could cause issues, haven't had any cam issues me self yet so I can't say what.

J$£5GTT
25-02-2009, 20:24
dont want that happening,i have seen various different sump
configurations,some very opposite of the cup sumps,using
vertical sections placed at various locations..guess other cars
have different pump locations?

Os8472
25-02-2009, 20:27
dont want that happening,i have seen various different sump
configurations,some very opposite of the cup sumps,using
vertical sections placed at various locations..guess other cars
have different pump locations?

That lot is of course worse case sinario, I dunno exactly a baffled sump needs to be layed out, I just got a standard renault ph1 job and been done with it

w35ty
26-02-2009, 00:21
well i rekon they work in a way..
but iv read somewhere before that if you havnt got one. on track days just top the oil up abit more than the usual. this compensates for the loss wen flying it around..

THE MASTER
26-02-2009, 02:52
Funny though :laugh::laugh::laugh:
but beutiful :cool:
:smokin::smokin::smokin:

clee it's down to the big flat sump innit even the 25t can pick up oil on heavy braking and cournering (bendy bits)
:laugh:

Adam 005
26-02-2009, 10:55
is it worth having one on a road car,or if the car is
to be tracked alot?
:)

No real need for a baffled sump on the road as you never tend to say in corners for a long time unless you like going round round abouts alot.Baffled sumps are a good idear for track use as you tend to push the oil to one side of the sump as race tracks tend to have many turns in one direction

clee
26-02-2009, 11:17
but beutiful :cool:
:smokin::smokin::smokin:

clee it's down to the big flat sump innit even the 25t can pick up oil on heavy braking and cournering (bendy bits)
:laugh:

25 sump is about an inch shallower than the GTA ali sump .I was wondering whether to put a 25 sump and pickup tube on the GTA :scratch: Why they do this anyways ???
Would I get a lot of froth with the level up nearer the crank ???

J$£5GTT
26-02-2009, 19:21
25 sump is about an inch shallower than the GTA ali sump .I was wondering whether to put a 25 sump and pickup tube on the GTA :scratch: Why they do this anyways ???
Would I get a lot of froth with the level up nearer the crank ???

froth lol you make the old gta sound like a coffee machine!!!
:coffee:

clee
26-02-2009, 19:44
GTA latte ...Available now in the SHOP :agree: