PDA

View Full Version : Changing the gearbox oil (from old site)

stuTHC
24-02-2009, 20:45
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>Changing the gearbox oil

contributed by Rich Russell
You change the engine oil every 3000 miles, but you should also remember to change the gearbox oil every 30000 to keep it running smoothly.

Here's a few tips in addition to the Haynes manual/Renault handbook description.
Should take no more than 2 hours to do, allowing for difficult bolts etc...

Tools: 10mm socket, 13mm socket, 24mm socket/mole grips, funnel, screwdriver.

You'll need 4 litres of gearbox oil. Castrol Syntrax or Comma 75W90 is ideal.

Make sure the car's level - you don't need to jack it up like the Haynes manual says. (Edit: I seem to recall I did jack up mine and maybe took the road wheel off and left the bumper on. Ian S)

There doesn't appear to to be a gearbox breather tube on all cars, so undo the filler plug before draining from the drain plug - otherwise it won't come out smoothly. (The breather is a short rubber tube on top of the gearbox. Ian S)

To get to the filler plug, you'll have to take off the bumper (disconnect the fog lights first!). Bumper is held on by a 10mm bolt in each wheel arch, and possibly two more below the number plate. Turning the steering to full lock one way or the other helps give you more room in the wheel arch to get a spanner in. (I seem to recall I reached in past the left front road wheel with the spanner and undid the nut. Ian S)

You'll need a 24mm socket or big mole grips to get the plug undone. It's on the front of the gearbox, just to the side of the engine mount. On some R5s it's plastic, but this article refers to the metal plug. Some oil may come out when you take the filler plug out, so be prepared with a container.

When you undo the drain plug (13mm socket), 3.4 litres will pour out very quickly so be ready with suitable containers to catch it in! I used four 1 litre margarine tubs, anything taller wouldn't fit under the car! Be warned this oil is nasty stuff - far worse than engine oil.

When all the oil has drained out, screw the drain plug back in.

To fill it, you may be able to get the spout of the bottle through the gap in the chassis, but a funnel is quicker. In order to do this, you'll need to take off the grille and intercooler to make enough space for it, unless you've got a long tube on the end of the funnel (garden hose might work). (I don't recall taking off the grill, maybe removed the intercooler. I used a long flexible neck funnel. Ian S)

Grille is just a couple of bolts or plastic clips at the top and a plastic clip either side. Intercooler comes out very easily once you've taken the boost hoses off it. Removing the ram air intake scoop helps.

Pour in 3.4 litres of new gearbox oil. It's full when it starts to come out of the filler hole. You can check the level by poking your finger in the hole and seeing if it comes out with oil on.

Screw the filler plug back in and put the intercooler, grille and bumper back on. Reconnect the fog lights.

Then leave the car to settle while you put your tools away and wash your hands. Start the car and check for leaks from the two plugs. </TD><!-- Spacer --><TD width=15> </TD><!-- Images --><TD width=200>https://rtoc.org/articles/i/gearbox.jpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>