PDA

View Full Version : Heater Matrix Removal

Chris Hebden
23-02-2009, 15:04
Does anyone have a copy of this article from the old site? I would like them both, the dash in and the dash out versions?

If not could someone try and explain how to do it? Cheers

raj
23-02-2009, 15:36
after you've got the instructions you can come and replace mine for me too:D

stuTHC
23-02-2009, 15:43
Ive just copied and pasted them both from the old site onto the new one. Enjoy, it's a sh*te job!!

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4719

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?p=46960#post46960

God im bored at work today!!

Chris Hebden
23-02-2009, 15:44
LOL you still got yours by passed??!?! We'll see what sort of job it turns out to be ;) :sad2: :p

Chris Hebden
23-02-2009, 15:45
Ive just copied and pasted them both from the old site onto the new one. Enjoy, it's a sh*te job!!

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4719

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?p=46960#post46960

God im bored at work today!!

OK firstly thank you for the threads StuTHC, "Enjoy, it's a sh*te job" was that really necessary before i start :laugh:

stuTHC
23-02-2009, 15:54
OK firstly thank you for the threads StuTHC, "Enjoy, it's a sh*te job" was that really necessary before i start :laugh:

:laugh: no, not really, but sometimes the truth hurts ;)

raj
23-02-2009, 15:59
LOL you still got yours by passed??!?! We'll see what sort of job it turns out to be ;) :sad2: :p

yes still by-passed:cry: but doesnt really matter as it still sat in the garage as ive not sorted the radfan problem yet :scratch:

im fecking terrified of even attempting to change the matrix:sad: tiz the only job on a 5 i fear doing:cry:
:coffee:

BriC
23-02-2009, 16:01
You don't like taking the dash out then?

Tiny Tim
23-02-2009, 16:01
Never done it on a 5, but the 11 wasnt too bad. Is it not accessible by just removing the centre console?

stuTHC
23-02-2009, 16:07
In all seriousness, it aint too bad a job.

I managed to do it without removing the dash, just dropped it off the clips so i could pull the dash forwards about 2-3inch.
This allowed me to turn the heater box a little and get the pipes that go through the bulkhead back inside the car allowing the matrix to slide out.
For me the hardest part was trying to reconnect the fecking heater control wires afterwards, silly little clips and big cold hands dont mix :mad:

tom t
23-02-2009, 18:42
got my new 1 waiting to go in. but ive got the dash out so should be ok hopefully :D

J$£5GTT
23-02-2009, 20:12
In all seriousness, it aint too bad a job.

I managed to do it without removing the dash, just dropped it off the clips so i could pull the dash forwards about 2-3inch.
This allowed me to turn the heater box a little and get the pipes that go through the bulkhead back inside the car allowing the matrix to slide out.
For me the hardest part was trying to reconnect the fecking heater control wires afterwards, silly little clips and big cold hands dont mix :mad:

is it really nessasary to even drop dash off the clips,i mean cant
something be cut or modified to gain access?

raj
23-02-2009, 20:17
is it really nessasary to even drop dash off the clips,i mean cant
something be cut or modified to gain access?

cut a rectangular shape out of the engine bay side and replace with a sealable flap??????and pull the matrix out that way??????:cartman:

J$£5GTT
23-02-2009, 20:22
cut a rectangular shape out of the engine bay side and replace with a sealable flap??????and pull the matrix out that way??????:cartman:

yer i could use my super saw..
:guitarhero:,i reckon the two pipes on the end
could be modded :cool2:

Chris Hebden
25-02-2009, 08:41
Well been looking into this a bit more last night, would i still be getting hot air through if my matrix had failed?

If the matrix has failed where should i expect water? The water is near the passengers side front seat, where it bolts to the chassis and a bit near the bulk head, next to the centre console?

Tiny Tim
25-02-2009, 09:26
Define 'failed'... the only two things that can go wrong with a heater matrix are leaks and blockages. In the case of leaks, yes, you'll still get hot air through the side vents.

If it is leaking, the water should collect in the footwells. Are you losing water from the header tank at all? Getting air locks?

Chris Hebden
25-02-2009, 09:52
v. failed, fail·ing, fails

v. intr.

To prove deficient or lacking; perform ineffectively or inadequately: :cooter:
What i am tryin to get across is would i just have a build up of water in the footwells, near the bulk head, OR is it viable that the water i have next to the passengers seat is the same water and i shouldnt be looking for a leak elsewhere!?

I am loosing coolant but i always have, on average i loose from the cap of the tank to the min line of water in 2-4weeks?

Tiny Tim
25-02-2009, 10:17
Funny fecker :laugh:

Jeez, thats alot of water. have you got an eezi-bleed kit? Best thing to do before forking out for a new Matrix and potentially waisting time removing the dash etc is to pressure test the system.
If you've got an eezi-bleed kit, rig it up to the header tank and pressurise it... any leaks should then become apparent.

Have you leak tested the car? Give it a good wash, then blast it for 20 mins with a pressure washer and see if there's any water on the inside.

Chris Hebden
25-02-2009, 14:24
Sorry couldnt help it!

Both great points Tim, i've got an eazy bleed kit will chuck that on and it needs a wash anyway so fingers cross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

raj
25-02-2009, 18:22
If the matrix has failed where should i expect water? The water is near the passengers side front seat, where it bolts to the chassis and a bit near the bulk head, next to the centre console?

chris im sure your car sits lower at the front yes.? just a thought but have you checked around the n/s side rear window seals? also the n/s front door/window seals? you maybe getting water leaking in from somewhere other than the matrix and as your car is front low the water is gathering in that particular area!
just a thought mind:coffee: