PDA

View Full Version : just smashed my iphone screen

dangerous dave
22-02-2009, 14:52
:cry:

its still working at the risk of cut fingers:( anyone fixed one or had a friend repair one? just looking at prices for parts and there a joke, you could buy shares in apple for the prices im finding..

i read the glass and lcd is one unit, yet on another site there selling the glass for £20.. :scared: i also dont trust many of these online places, phone scams are everywhere and im sure a bust iphones work scamming out of me.

any help chuck it my way:)

RICHIE
22-02-2009, 14:56
:cry:

its still working at the risk of cut fingers:( anyone fixed one or had a friend repair one? just looking at prices for parts and there a joke, you could buy shares in apple for the prices im finding..

i read the glass and lcd is one unit, yet on another site there selling the glass for £20.. :scared: i also dont trust many of these online places, phone scams are everywhere and im sure a bust iphones work scamming out of me.

any help chuck it my way:)

it would be a lcd with a glass cover over it. phone screens are normally fairly simple to replace. depending on the phone warranty would depend if i would be willing to do it myself. have ebay got any spares

RICHIE
22-02-2009, 15:03
im sure on the iphone it plastic case then a glass touch pad then a lcd screen you can buy the screen and touch pad seperatly on ebay with the tool kit included

dangerous dave
22-02-2009, 15:04
watched a video on youtube and it looks fixable, but like i say, i read its all wire up due to the touch screen.. could be bollox trying to sell more but i might find myself smashing the ldc if the screens bonded..

i'll have a butchers on ebay now.

phones been great, i treat it pretty ruff and it was still scratch free:cartman:

RICHIE
22-02-2009, 15:08
watched a video on youtube and it looks fixable, but like i say, i read its all wire up due to the touch screen.. could be bollox trying to sell more but i might find myself smashing the ldc if the screens bonded..

i'll have a butchers on ebay now.

phones been great, i treat it pretty ruff and it was still scratch free:cartman:

the touch pad and lcd screen are seperate and not bonded. as you suggest it may need to be configured im sure there will be software on there site to do this

A17AMB
22-02-2009, 15:11
how did you smash it . i be gutted if i smashed mine but for the sake of it i would have a go and put a new screen in myself go on have a go whats the worst can happen :)

raj
22-02-2009, 15:22
as were on the subject. ive got a brandless chinese phone and ive cracked the touch screen and it now obviously doesnt work via the touch screen. the screen is plastic.

i dont think ive got any chance of finding a replacement screen.

so im wondering, how are touch screens wired up.? i mean could i get some thin plastic sheet and bodge it together :scratch:

dangerous dave
22-02-2009, 15:23
i was making my lunch and rested it on a tea towel, one i would later reach for..:scared: i grabbed the towel with one hand and was reaching for the phone at the same time but as you might guess i didn't get much on it..

im looking more, theres an outer glass and inner ones, looks like mines the outer and could be saved for the sake of a £20 sheet.. im tempted to rip it apart now, but its best to wait as its still usable and i wont lose bits..

a mates sisters got one sat in her draw as she's to busy to take hers back for repair, might get lucky and blag the whole thing, but its not old and under warrenty..

i turned down the joke insurance of £45 each quarter, i'd rather get a new one if its that buggered.. new screen and im all over it at £20:smokin:

dangerous dave
22-02-2009, 15:32
as were on the subject. ive got a brandless chinese phone and ive cracked the touch screen and it now obviously doesnt work via the touch screen. the screen is plastic.

i dont think ive got any chance of finding a replacement screen.

so im wondering, how are touch screens wired up.? i mean could i get some thin plastic sheet and bodge it together :scratch:

in guessing you cant, the one im looking at must have some magic inside to make it work..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-iPhone-3G-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-8GB-16GB_W0QQitemZ400024425427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mo bilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneBatte ries?hash=item400024425427&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

car.crash
22-02-2009, 17:55
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: dave you ****.

dangerous dave
22-02-2009, 18:02
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: dave you ****.

i'll sell it to you for £500 with a new fancy screen design..

Sam M
22-02-2009, 18:09
For anyone with an iphone, get that ZAGG's invisibleSHIELD full cover, works so well, My iphone fell out of my pocket and slid halfway down the drive and I was thinking shiiiiiiiiiit, as you would do, all I did was wipe off the bits of dirt and crap and it was like new.

Its also supposed to be a strong protection to stop the screen from cracking after a fall.

Also, get this downloaded to your iphone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYRRSMzJb4 baddest app :laugh:

The new Bill J
22-02-2009, 18:12
For anyone with an iphone, get that ZAGG's invisibleSHIELD full cover, works so well, My iphone fell out of my pocket and slid halfway down the drive and I was thinking shiiiiiiiiiit, as you would do, all I did was wipe off the bits of dirt and crap and it was like new.

I've got one of those on mine, it's great. I smacked the crap out of my iPhone with a great big hammer, and it didn't break thanks to the invisibleSHIELD :cool:

BriC
22-02-2009, 18:17
Also, get this downloaded to your iphone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYRRSMzJb4 baddest app :laugh:

It's like Sankeys in your pocket. I want an iphone :cry:

dangerous dave
27-02-2009, 22:59
the screen came in the post, then bought some glue that i thought would gloop, but ended up like black super glue..

started splitting the phone in one place but was doing it wrong:rolleyes: but only made a few dents in the seem.. shame as thats all that went wrong as the rest was ok..

pop off the top, unclip some connectors and a ribbon loom, couple of screws before it gets interesting.. the glass is stuck to a flimsy chassis that holds the speaker and home button. that took some chipping up with a tiny flat blade but it was pretty harmless. all went back together after sticking the new screen on, but i finished off the home buttons return spring, it had gone on one side but the others shot to sh1t now.. works fine tho:)

should keep me happy as it looks mint again, plus i have a spare one with software faults coming free of my friends very hot younger sister:smokin: