PDA

View Full Version : I feel like an idiot!

zaid
22-02-2009, 10:12
First post!

I have owned a 5 for around 7yrs, I drive them hard but look after them if you know what i mean, never had a failed gasket.
Few months ago, driving the 5 pulled up for some fuel, thought I'd check the coolant as you do, what a surprise mayo in the bottle, was bound to happen sometime eh?
so I started driving home, realised that the temp was reading normal, fine.
Threw it in my garage and started work on it, an hour here and there, got the head off, got a stgraight edge measure it - didnt seem warped (but i am no mechanic!)
Strip on gasket was not broken, block was flat.
Gave the head to the engineer to skim, he said it relatively straight showed him the gasket, nothing wrong with the gasket he said. The car has done 158,000miles so i pressure tested it? nothing.
So I started putting it back together, then my dad recommended I test the radiator /oil cooler as oil may be mixing with the coolant, :scared:
Got a hose one side, maglite in the other end with a jubilee pushed some pressure through, hsssssss :sad2: what a nob ed! why didnt I think of that? has anyone come accross this before?

Euro car parts 30 mins later....sweet.

newbstar*
22-02-2009, 10:32
even the best machanic can overlook things mate.:)

Sparkie
22-02-2009, 10:58
lucky it wasnt a cracked head...

jure
22-02-2009, 11:34
That is completely birma way of thinking when you are owner of GTT more than year or two. When something is wrong with mine, I always have worst possible scenario in my head...

Happened few times doing the job 5 times longer/harder and it was some simple crack or something :crap:

Sparkie
22-02-2009, 14:35
That is completely birma way of thinking
birma = barmy = nuts?

jure
22-02-2009, 15:04
I don't recall writing "birma" word at all :confused:

I wasn't drunk when wrote previous post. It supposed to be normal thinking when you're experienced owner of GTT. I'm bit worried about myself now :scratch: