PDA

View Full Version : 19 16v fuel... poss problem

markey b
11-09-2008, 14:32
just a quick one, my 19 16v seems to use loads of fuel, on a run to gatwick the other day, used nearly a full tank (£50) to do 240ish miles....

changed the coolant temp sensor, made it a bit better, but still seems really excessive?!?

could it be the 02 sensor, or does anyone have any other bright ideas?? i'm just fed up of putting fuel in all the time lol

Tiny Tim
11-09-2008, 14:34
Deffinately replace the Lambda. If that doesnt help, clean the ISCV out with some naughty vinegar... or carb cleaner... or brake cleaner...

markey b
11-09-2008, 14:43
awesome.. did clean out the iscv thingy.. saw it on retro renault.. but asked a similar question to this on there, and no reply... ask on here, and 5mins later i have a proper reply

RTOC... i salute you! :)

cheers btw... hopefully it'll make it a bit less harsh on my wallet when it comes to the jungle juice lol

Tiny Tim
11-09-2008, 14:44
If the coolant sensor was at fault, it would probably thik the car was 'cold' constantly thus feck in more fuel - I take it your replacement was a good know working one/new?

markey b
11-09-2008, 14:46
yeah brand spanker from renault, changed it cos it sat at about 1100rpm and used to flood itself alot, changed that and all is ok, just excessive fuel consumption still

Tiny Tim
11-09-2008, 14:49
Probably worth giving the ISVC a proper clean, but if the idling is sorted, it unlikely its down to that now.

Id deffinately look to change the lambda now. Let us know how you get on.

DaveAVT
11-09-2008, 14:51
Throttle pot could be reading high.

MAP sensor pipe could be disconnected, or have a split in it.

Best bet is to go to a garage (doesnt have to be a Renault dealer) and get a quick diagnostic check.

markey b
11-09-2008, 18:30
does anyone know what adaptor it would take to do a diag check... i can't see it being OBD1 or 2 since its a 1992... i wouldn't even know where to look for the port, i'll have to look on autodata

Mart
11-09-2008, 18:38
Might also be worth checking that it isn't something silly like the brakes partially sticking on, or your tyres being a bit flat.

Be thankful you get 240 miles to a tank...! :crap: :D

markey b
11-09-2008, 19:00
i get 240miles to a tank in my turbo... thats the only reason that i'm worried lol

found the DLC, its a 16pin... may ring about and see if anyone has one before i piss about gettin one from china, waiting 2weeks and then finding out that it doesn't work.

There is no k-light on on the car, but i guess that it could have a fault without one.

Checked me autodata, and it listed what dave said, also intake temp sensor and a couple of other bits. my map sensor pipes seem ok, looks like its a GM item... may swap it with one off a local corsa lol.

Will prob change the lambda anyway, just as a matter of course i guess?!?

DaveAVT
11-09-2008, 19:26
Any garage with a code reader can check it, we have one here at the garage. Don't know if you want to travel to Colchester tho.

DaveAVT
11-09-2008, 19:27
Rememeber it could also be physical, such as pump, filter, or fuel reg.

Schakal
11-09-2008, 19:35
foook me ,thats very low mpg :eek:
my 140k engine 19 16v recently managed 42mpg to london and back
with 3 adults and 2 pieces of luggage .
does 32mpg town driving , and i am not shy with the gas pedal either :cool:

Scoff
11-09-2008, 19:36
240 miles to £50 - if thats true thats less than 50 miles to £10, so about twice the fuel consumption it should have, which wouldn't even run - so it certainly isn't all going through the engine else you'd know about it :crap:

Id be looking for leaks, or checking that your actually getting only 240 miles to 50.00.

markey b
13-09-2008, 10:10
Any garage with a code reader can check it, we have one here at the garage. Don't know if you want to travel to Colchester tho.

scary!! i've got a motab course in colchester monday, and i'm now takin my car rather than a works car... you'r still behind world of ice right?? what would be the damage for a quick plug in and just check the perameters of my sensors etc?!?