PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown cover

Misky
16-02-2009, 08:21
What kind of breakdown cover do you have?
And who with? A quote from AA is £74 a year, thats to take me home if the 5 dies.
Also are they actually any good?

Tiny Tim
16-02-2009, 08:25
They're all crap imo. I only have cover now incase I break down somewhere miles from home with the little'n onboard.

Had a head gasket go on one of my old 5's many years ago half way round the M25.. about 10 O'clock at night. I was with the AA at the time. Got home about 2:30 in the morning after being picked up and dropped off by 3 independant companies (AA hire local places to do some of their work).

Misky
16-02-2009, 08:36
Cheers for that tim!
Im going to have to get it as I dont really have faith in the 5 and my roadside abilities :ashamed: just unsure what package to get & which is best for value.. :scratch:

Penfold aka The Dealer
16-02-2009, 08:57
As Tim said there all poo, I am with TheAA only because my Dad pays for it lol.

I have been recovered twice this year by theAA once in the 5 once in the clio Diesel... both times sorted within 45mins of calling them.

But about 3 years ago on the way to ND 05 my car broke down at 10pm at night on the motorway, and i wasnt collected til 4am!! Luckily i had my sleeping bag and i kipped on soft verge away from my car, Kent police pulled me up and recovered my car off the motorway as legally a Recovery service is meant to recover you of a motorway within 1 hour!

rhys
16-02-2009, 10:34
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

i only £70 with the aa for me an my mum for roadside recovery an they'll tow me anywhere in the uk. but the good thing is its the person that's covered not the car.

5alldaway
16-02-2009, 11:12
im with the aa, i pay about £120 for mine per year if i remember correctly and im more than happy with them, sure sometimes it will take some time for them to get to you but its normally around an hour for me but depends on the time of day and what place im in

they try to fix whats broken and if they cant they tow you home

ive seen people from other forums moan about not getting towed etc etc, but the thing is they go for the cheapest option for £35 a year and they dont fully understand what they bought, they just think if they have a aa membership card they are covered in all areas

turbodave
16-02-2009, 11:17
i have roadside assistance breakedown cover and repair cover.
been towed many a time and also had a few problems fixed at roadside

my head gasket went last month, they towed me home within 2 hours. then picked the car up from my house 2days later took it to a garage, paid for the head gasket repair (repair cover is up to £450) so i had to pay an extra £100

all in all very happy with my cover

5alldaway
16-02-2009, 11:21
i have roadside assistance breakedown cover and repair cover.
been towed many a time and also had a few problems fixed at roadside

my head gasket went last month, they towed me home within 2 hours. then picked the car up from my house 2days later took it to a garage, paid for the head gasket repair (repair cover is up to £450) so i had to pay an extra £100

all in all very happy with my cover

there was a fella on the old website who bought a 5, broke down on the day home and was silly enough to pay over £500 to be towed home, instead of joining breakdown recovery which would of cost far less

BriC
16-02-2009, 11:24
That would be my old 5! Accelerator cable broke.

Tiny Tim
16-02-2009, 11:26

The old leccy blue?

iirc, that kid was a spanner of gigantuum propertions.

5alldaway
16-02-2009, 11:28

thats the puppy

BriC
16-02-2009, 11:30
Lol, I'm not one to hold grudges, but yes, he did try to blame me because he let it overheat and blow the headgasket. He then threatened to take further legal action. Go ahead I told him, because he had NO case whatsoever. That's the last I heard of him.

5alldaway
16-02-2009, 11:37
Lol, I'm not one to hold grudges, but yes, he did try to blame me because he let it overheat and blow the headgasket. He then threatened to take further legal action. Go ahead I told him, because he had NO case whatsoever. That's the last I heard of him.

thats why i would hate to sell my car to people who have never owned a 5 before, as soon as they see the bleedvalve thats when the trouble will start, i was lucky tho as i had guidance from the rtoc, member for 6 years now :)