PDA

View Full Version : header tank relocation

tom t
12-02-2009, 20:14
im going to be moving my header tank to my scuttle area soon and am trying to figure out where abouts i need to drill the holes in the bulk head obviously it probally differs to how people have done it.

and what joiners i need to chop some of the pipes if need be.

any pics would be appreciated. also how have people held the tank in place? just rivoted the original brackt to the inner wing? cheers

Kraig
12-02-2009, 20:18
im going to be moving my header tank to my scuttle area soon and am trying to figure out where abouts i need to drill the holes in the bulk head obviously it probally differs to how people have done it.

and what joiners i need to chop some of the pipes if need be.

any pics would be appreciated. also how have people held the tank in place? just rivoted the original brackt to the inner wing? cheers

What side is your battery on?

Kris M
12-02-2009, 20:20
Looking at his profile its on the normal GTT N/S

tom t
12-02-2009, 20:29
yup normal uk 5 position

Kraig
12-02-2009, 20:48
When i got mine it was on the O/S.

When i moved my header, i just cut a square in the bulkhead, enough to take the hoses and sealed the edges so there was no chaffing.

For the heater hoses i used 6 90s & cut up some straights.

For the top of water pump ( the one with the bleed nipple), i cut the pipe just after the nipple, swivled it round so was facing the bulkhead, then a straight bit of pipe (15mm if i remember right), and teed that into the header.

You have the choice of shifting the degassing pot, i did, and i was able to cut from the existing degassing to header pipe, and plumb it that way.

tom t
12-02-2009, 20:53
where did you move the degassing pot 2? ive totally forgot about all the pipeing to that. didnt remember that would be necessary?

and do you mean you used 90 degree bends instead of the standard pipe?

didnt think it was going to be that much work.

want to do it as going to do the heater matrix while the dash is out. and hopefully get a new o.e. water bottle and new coolant. so might aswell do it in one.

have you got any pics bud? cheers

Kraig
12-02-2009, 21:02
I moved the degassing pot to the bulkead too, it isnt necessary, just another thing to get rid of in the engine bay,lol.
You could probably use the vast majority of the original hoses, i only went for new blue silicon ends and shiny pipe as that was the look i was going for.
While your doing it, if you havent already, heat wrap your downpipe, because obviously that will be another hose running behind the downpipe.

I'll go over to my garage tomorrow and get a couple of pics up, i havent been over in a couple of weeks so i'll have to go over and start her up anyway.

tom t
12-02-2009, 22:01
cheers m8 would be good, dont go outa ya way bud it ull prob be snowing or something stupid over the weekend and i probally wont be able to get me hands dirty lol. much appreciated though

do you think i could leave the degasing pot for now then, move it later on easily enough? cheers bud

Kris M
12-02-2009, 22:07
You could even get rid of the degassing pot all together should you want to. May make bleeding slightly more difficuly but ph1`s didnt have them :)

tom t
12-02-2009, 22:11
could do, not actually to sure as to what it actually does? prob leave it for now as like to be able to bleed the system properly. hopefully moving the tank to the scuttle will help this aswell.