PDA

View Full Version : Renault 5 GT Turbo Inlet manifold core plugs.

phase i 16 v turbo
10-02-2009, 10:07
Has anyone replaced the core plugs either ends of the inlet manifold? Mine has started leaking. Do you know where I can source them from? Part numbers etc.

Many thanks
Mike

MR TURBO
10-02-2009, 11:01
Has anyone replaced the core plugs either ends of the inlet manifold? Mine has started leaking. Do you know where I can source them from? Part numbers etc.

Many thanks
Mike

Get yourself a second hand inlet manifold.....Never heard of them selling just the plugs..It happened to me once when it was very cold and something froze up in there and forced my plug out....I got another manifold then when i moved the car there it was on the floor...I do have that manifold still knocking about somewhere i'll have a look and see if they prise out if so it's yours ;)

Mart
10-02-2009, 11:07
Alternative solution is to bypass (as in the coolant circuit) the manifold altogether. In fairness, even in this cold weather, it's not so important to have the manifold plumbed in.

Trevhib
10-02-2009, 12:01
Alternative solution is to bypass (as in the coolant circuit) the manifold altogether. In fairness, even in this cold weather, it's not so important to have the manifold plumbed in.

Fail.

The throttle spindle in the carb is made from a different metal to the carb body and without the coolant going through the manifold it allows the two metals to expand at different rates. This results (for many protagonists, maybe not all), in a horrid sticking throttle that stays open everytime you press it. This can last fifteen bloody minutes. :mad: Personal experience :D This issue was fixed as soon as I replumbed the manifold coolant circuit.

Could this be the first Mart fail? :laugh:

P.S. I only know the technical points contained herein when I mentioned it to Paul B a few years ago.

Tiny Tim
10-02-2009, 12:05
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/TinyTim21/Mart.jpg

Mart
10-02-2009, 12:08
Fail.

The throttle spindle in the carb is made from a different metal to the carb body and without the coolant going through the manifold it allows the two metals to expand at different rates. This results (for many protagonists, maybe not all), in a horrid sticking throttle that stays open everytime you press it. This can last fifteen bloody minutes. :mad: Personal experience :D This issue was fixed as soon as I replumbed the manifold coolant circuit.

Could this be the first Mart fail? :laugh:

P.S. I only know the technical points contained herein when I mentioned it to Paul B a few years ago.

Fail!!!!1!one!

You're forgetting the water pipes also go through the carb base, and heats it thus so. I didn't say to remove those ones, I said to bypass the manifold.

JRP
10-02-2009, 12:09
hmm

Mart
10-02-2009, 12:09

:laugh::laugh:

Brigsy
10-02-2009, 12:13
Ph1 11 turbo inlet manifold doesn't have the water jacket on it ;) Bypass it & be done.

BriC
10-02-2009, 12:25

Epic :laugh:

Trevhib
10-02-2009, 13:08
Fail!!!!1!one!

You're forgetting the water pipes also go through the carb base, and heats it thus so. I didn't say to remove those ones, I said to bypass the manifold.

Boooooo, contentious! :laugh: I can't argue with what's written but IIRC, the pipes are all part and parcel of the same piece of the circuit. Pump to manifold, manifold to carb, carb to pump, or something similar. Remove one and you've removed both thus mods are required to remove just the manifold section. :cooter:

Is what we're saying therefore, that the advice given may have a been a tad shy of complete? Can I at least have that, please? :D

Btw, loving your work Tim :D

Trevhib
10-02-2009, 13:09
Ph1 11 turbo inlet manifold doesn't have the water jacket on it ;) Bypass it & be done.

Does it have the carb run? If so, getting the relevant 11 Turbo OE carb pipes could be a good little mod for the GTT to shorten the coolant circuit (and negate core plug issues). Or does the 11T run differ it other ways that would mean further messing?

Brigsy
10-02-2009, 13:26
It has the hoses to the carb base Trev. To be fair i cant even remember what the 11t pipework was like, all i remember were bodged on hoses. Cup mod as standard too:cool:

Here's a pic of the inlet, i joined the water pump hose that usually goes to the inlet to the carb base, job done.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm453/Brigsygtt/DSCF0504.jpg

Trevhib
10-02-2009, 13:33
Cool :agree:

Mart
10-02-2009, 15:11
Boooooo, contentious! :laugh: I can't argue with what's written but IIRC, the pipes are all part and parcel of the same piece of the circuit. Pump to manifold, manifold to carb, carb to pump, or something similar. Remove one and you've removed both thus mods are required to remove just the manifold section. :cooter:

Is what we're saying therefore, that the advice given may have a been a tad shy of complete? Can I at least have that, please? :D

Btw, loving your work Tim :D

What are you waffling on about?! :D

All you have to do is either bridge the manifold water pipes together, or re-plumb the circuit a la Brigsy's picture. I've never mentioned removing pipes once. The keyword is 'bypass'...like the blood around your brain ;) :D

Trevhib
10-02-2009, 15:51
What are you waffling on about?! :D

All you have to do is either bridge the manifold water pipes together, or re-plumb the circuit a la Brigsy's picture. I've never mentioned removing pipes once. The keyword is 'bypass'...like the blood around your brain ;) :D

:mart:

:cry: i'll get you yet.

Mart
10-02-2009, 15:54
:D :)

Tiny Tim
10-02-2009, 15:55
You'll make a mistake one day Mart... you'll misunderstand... or you'll forget to proof read and we'll be there... waiting... silently... ready to pounce...

phase i 16 v turbo
10-02-2009, 17:20
Thanks for the replies, I am being lazy. It looks alot easier to replace the core plug in situ then swap the inlets over. The car is factory standard so keen to keep the pipes runs OE. I was hoping someone might know where to buy a core plug. Looks like I will have to brave the cold and swap inlets!

Many thanks

Big Steve - Raider
10-02-2009, 17:34

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Fantastic!!

This needs to be added as a Smilie :mart2: :D

Trevhib
10-02-2009, 18:36
By the way. I couldn't see the engine bay pic earlier as I was at work. I see it now, cool. Those 11T OE pipes are as I imagined. Quite a cool little mod for a GTT if you were trying to minimise pipe work.

michael tierney
10-02-2009, 20:38
i got 28mm core plugs and completely refurbished a few manifolds last year.sold 3 on ebay and managed to get £23 tops the others going for about £18!!.:(very few bidders,people just did'nt believe the "coreplugs on all these manifolds WILL be rotton speel"!!:crap:your better off buying one from gsf for about 50 quid.if u really want to though,you can order the core plugs through your local motor factors but be really carefull taking them out.

Matt Cole
10-02-2009, 22:01
God (aka Reno) put the heated water pipes through the inlet manifold for a reason. Reno havent really been wrong on much of the oe set up have they?:D

phase i 16 v turbo
10-02-2009, 22:10
i got 28mm core plugs and completely refurbished a few manifolds last year.sold 3 on ebay and managed to get £23 tops the others going for about £18!!.:(very few bidders,people just did'nt believe the "coreplugs on all these manifolds WILL be rotton speel"!!:crap:your better off buying one from gsf for about 50 quid.if u really want to though,you can order the core plugs through your local motor factors but be really carefull taking them out.
Thanks I am keen to have a go at replacing them as is a job I haven't done.

Many thanks!