PDA

View Full Version : pressurising

markey b
11-09-2008, 00:26
as a few of you know, i managed to split a liner on the rtoc pod day... well lazy me finally fixed it... or so i thought...

the car now pressurises like mad.... i know that its a million dollar question.. but any suggestions??

replaced the liner ok, car doesn't smoke at all, runs fine, no missfires etc.

when it broke, i drove the car carefully away from the pod to the A45 services... running it for a few secs to get momentum, then coasting to try and stop any further damage.. it did get a bit hot, but not off the scale... but do you recon i've warped the head... i didn't check it before it went on - DOH!!

also car doesn't like to start on the starter... turns and turns but wont fire, but as soon as its bump started it fires straight into life... anyone else had similar experiences??

any suggestions greatly appreciated.. as i need to fix, and regain trust in it so i can use it for mallory... my scabriolet has had far too much glory this year when it comes to events lol

Scoff
11-09-2008, 00:48
If there's no other symptoms then there's probaby some air remaining somewhere.

markey b
11-09-2008, 00:56
i tried that, maybe i'm being dumb lol... bled it every time i drove it, didn't seem to loose water, but will pressurise after being ran for a few secs, and the pipes go rock solid.

would a comp test show up anything? otherwise i'll rip the head off 2mora and get it checked out

Scoff
11-09-2008, 01:02
Its nearly always just trapped air, otherwise you'd have other symptoms too.

pressurise the water system up with an ezi bleed cap on the header bottle or rig something up and get the compressor on it, via a tyre valve, see if it'll hold 2 bar, if there's a leak (into the engine) then you'll see the pressure drop off.

obviously, if water can get into the combustion chamber then the same leak will pressurise the coolant when the engine is running. (ie, the hg isn't sealing or the head is cracker or warped or something)

markey b
11-09-2008, 01:10
i'll defo have a look at that 2mora before i waste another HG!

thank you for ya help :)

markey b
11-09-2008, 01:26
does the poor starting ring any bells to anyone??

thought maybe power to the AEI being drained... but it was fine before it popped?!?

5teve L
11-09-2008, 08:54
Could be the H/g or something around there (water in the chambers), if the plugs are wet it will struggle to fire :(

Could check the plugs for leaks, see if they are damp at all ??

Also check tappet clearances & did the valves look ok....seated ok i mean..

markey b
11-09-2008, 14:34
could the fact i've gone from fancy iridium plugs to bog std genuine renault ones be a poss culprit??

tobester
11-09-2008, 14:41
could the fact i've gone from fancy iridium plugs to bog std genuine renault ones be a poss culprit??

Unlikely IMO.

markey b
13-09-2008, 11:03
any other suggestions?? i'm severly lacking the enthusiasm to even open the bonnet nowadays lol

raj
13-09-2008, 11:15
any other suggestions?? i'm severly lacking the enthusiasm to even open the bonnet nowadays lol
if thats the case...sell up.!:rolleyes: get off your bloody BEEhind:D what id do for the sake of £30 is get the head either pressure tested or skimmed. or both if you fancy spending double.

tom t
13-09-2008, 16:48
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

agree with raj bud. even mine might be running soon.............. and that takes long lol :laugh: