PDA

View Full Version : Undoing brake pipes

Chris Hebden
06-02-2009, 18:04
Anyone know any tricks to undo the brake pipes from the front flexi's? I cant get it undone and really need to change the broken flexi? Any ideas would be great, cheers

MR TURBO
06-02-2009, 18:10
Tighten a touch before undoing helps crack the thread ;)

Brigsy
06-02-2009, 18:10
Small pair of stilsons or good mole grips will prob shift it, if the usual brake pipe spanner wont play ball. The brake pipe will need changing though or a new end fitting/flaring if it can be done.

markey b
06-02-2009, 18:25
use a proper brake pipe spanner, and not a **** draper value one either!

gtmatt
06-02-2009, 18:27
argree use a proper brake pipe spanner thats i used did the trick , wacth them knukles

Chris Hebden
06-02-2009, 18:36
The brake pipe will need changing though or a new end fitting/flaring if it can be done.

Unfortunately i dont think there is enough give in the existing pipe to flare it on the car. I've tried a normal spanner & mole grips. Going to try the stilsons approach tomorrow. Does heating the joint work? How hard is it to get the old pipes out from the bulk head?

Scoff
06-02-2009, 18:40
heating them helps a lot.

mr bean aka pete
06-02-2009, 19:08
have you tried cutting the brake pipe then banging a single faced socket over the end ?? or is it mullered so much now :rolleyes: but yeah heat and stilsons should do the trick :)

Chris Hebden
06-02-2009, 21:25
No luckily nothing mullered yet ;)! I can cut them all off but i'd rather not cos i havent got a flaring tool yet :crap:! I guess i'm off to the shops tomorrow

mr bean aka pete
06-02-2009, 21:29
how urgent do you need the pipes made up ?? as i have a flaring tool at work you clamp in a vice i also have all the pipe and unions here at home what brake pipe u making ?

Chris Hebden
06-02-2009, 22:06
how urgent do you need the pipes made up ?? as i have a flaring tool at work you clamp in a vice i also have all the pipe and unions here at home what brake pipe u making ?

Well my target was Monday night at the latest as i'm using my sis's car for now! She needs it back Tuesday morning, but i think i can borrow a friends car if it cant be sorted.

I need to replace the two front solid brake pipes from the master cylinder to the front flexis and the two rear solids from the rear flexis to the calipers! I wonder if we could get them made it a lunch?

mr bean aka pete
07-02-2009, 09:11
im willing to help you chris do you have any brake pipe or unions ? as if not i have a brand new roll here and unions :) all i would have todo is pop to work to get the flaring tool