PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the engine wiring harness

Chris Hebden
02-02-2009, 20:49
I want to replace the wiring in the engine bay and put a connector onto the formidable connector block (n/s/f of the engine bay behind the headlamp), BUT i fancy making it my self :crap:! I've got the green haynes in front of me starting to get my head around the wiring diagram for it. As far as i can make out its Wiring diagram 4 block 80.

Am i right in thinking this is the only connector i need to worry about? From this it directly connects to the:
No: 21 Alternator
No: 15 Starter
No: 21 Oil Pressure Switch
No: 22 Rad Switch
No: 72 Reversing Light Switch
No: 209 Oil Lever Indicator

Off what looks to be a seperate wiring loom which holds:
No: 17 Engine Fan
No: 110 Engine Fan Relay
No: 386 Perc Fan
No:521 Perc Relay
No: 560 Perc Sensor

This seperate loom looks to be connected by the No:22 Rad Fan Switch, is this loom part of the main engine harness as well?

With just the relay box, 2x water proof connector blocks & a roll of 17amp 50m wire the cost is upto £56.53 inc VAT & delivery, is it worth it? Is there anything i have over looked? Has anyone done this before and can give some words of wisdom (positive or negative!) Many thanks

Chris Hebden
03-02-2009, 21:08
:crap: doesnt feel me with confidence if no one has done this before!

Kris M
03-02-2009, 21:11
Have you thought about buying a new engine bay wireing loom mate ??? :)

Chris Hebden
03-02-2009, 21:14

Yea thought about it bud, but wanted too look into the cost difference between making one and buying one, and how long it would take to make one! If i remember right you said they were around £125+VAT?

Spooky
03-02-2009, 21:16

ditto...thats what im gunna do :D:D

Markey Mark (BD)
03-02-2009, 21:31
I made a sort of loom once, wasn't that hard to do as there are minimal wires on the 5.
It is nice to have a new loom under the bonnet but the only reason i made one and didn't buy is i couldn't spend the money and then cut all the bits out i didn't need.

tom t
04-02-2009, 15:30
where would you by the wire for doing this? are you just going to use 1 thickness of wire? apart from maybe starter.. also are you going to use 1 colour for the wire? another question lol. how would you know how long to make the wires? or have you got the old loom out?

as im also thinking about doing this to save some pennies. cheers bud

dave j gtt
04-02-2009, 15:39
"its a job" that needs alot of time and attention to detail ;)

It can be done, I am going to do it someday and make a few while am at it.
main thing is to buy all top qulity parts and wire, so the job lasts and is nice and tidy.

best bet to buy a new one, unless your not counting pennys and want a proper decent job.

Chris Hebden
04-02-2009, 18:07
where would you by the wire for doing this? are you just going to use 1 thickness of wire? apart from maybe starter.. also are you going to use 1 colour for the wire? another question lol. how would you know how long to make the wires? or have you got the old loom out?

as im also thinking about doing this to save some pennies. cheers bud

Yea one colour, from one reel. Its a bit of a pain to trace faults that way, but if i'm careful i shouldnt have any! As for wire size something along the lines of http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/large-cable-reel-17amp-black-lcr17bk-3924-p.asp

As for the length either strip mine out, measure it then refit and make at my hearts content, OR ask on here for a lend of a complete loom (with deposit of course) and make it! This depends on if i can get a second car for a run about for a bit, then i'll strup it and make it! Hope this helps bud!

clee
04-02-2009, 18:27
These guys have all you'll need :agree:Don't use all one colour ,you'll regret it ..maybe not today ,maybe not tomorrow but one day and for the rest of your life:laugh:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

tom t
04-02-2009, 18:58
cant get that link to load chris. would def be a pain to find faults.
i need to look into the costs of it should be able to make it for alot cheaper then say buying one from k-tec etc dont you think? cheers

website looks usefull clee cheers how many colours do you think you would need?

clee
04-02-2009, 19:19
I would say 3 min ,depends what you want to identify easily .
http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d9.html

tom t
04-02-2009, 19:30
cheers m8 another good link what amp would the wire need to be rated?

clee
04-02-2009, 19:57
Most of it will be sensors etc so 8 or 12amp will be fine .Things like fans, starter etc are going to need bigger .Best ref is the old loom , just look at the size of the existing wire and how many strands are there .
Amps is watts divided by volts so if you have a 240w motor and 12 volts then the wire needs to be rated 20amp min ..

tom t
04-02-2009, 20:02
thanks m8. will have to look further into this then and get cracking.

mr bean aka pete
04-02-2009, 20:22
i think its gr8 making your loom and think of doing it myself but found trying to get hold of the right block connectors was very hard to trace :( so if you had an old engine loom with all the connectors attached you could just replace the wiring and the terminals in the block connectors then giving you a new loom :D

tom t
04-02-2009, 22:51
which block connectors are you talking about? i can only remember there being one? cheers

Chris Hebden
04-02-2009, 23:57
From what i've seen and can tell most connectors are spade anyway! This all started because i noticed my connector block had been cut, at the min i am having probs sourcing a waterproof connector block big enough to house the 11wires down by the headlight!

Thanks for the link Clee, i have been trying to find that website! I hear what your saying about different colours and completely agree, but it'll be an even more pain in the arse! At most i think i would go black and red (Earth and Live) none of this switch live!

Scoff
05-02-2009, 00:39
From what i've seen and can tell most connectors are spade anyway! This all started because i noticed my connector block had been cut, at the min i am having probs sourcing a waterproof connector block big enough to house the 11wires down by the headlight!

Thanks for the link Clee, i have been trying to find that website! I hear what your saying about different colours and completely agree, but it'll be an even more pain in the arse! At most i think i would go black and red (Earth and Live) none of this switch live!

miller suggested a good one a while back, hunt the scrap yards and look for door loom connectors. you usually find a multiway plug with a water tight connector, remove the socket from the door and snip the plug out of the pillar.

i l k e r
05-02-2009, 07:30
I've just made a wiring loom for my Gtt out of Clio 16V wiring loom.

It took me just a couple of hours from start to finish.

If you find a good unmolested Clio loom the wires are pretty thick and more than upto the job, it comes with all the relays etc you'll ever need for the Gtt :agree:

phase i 16 v turbo
05-02-2009, 11:13
At some stage you have to weigh up the cost of a new against time spent making a new one or fault finding the old one.

Chris Hebden
05-02-2009, 13:48
At some stage you have to weigh up the cost of a new against time spent making a new one or fault finding the old one.

You got one going spare for a lend Mike?

phase i 16 v turbo
05-02-2009, 14:03
I have got one for sale at the moment, but I think it is already sold.

Cheers
Mike

Chris Hebden
05-02-2009, 14:25
If you come across a spare one could you let us know mate. Cheers

tom t
05-02-2009, 14:29
i wouldnt be bothered about using insultated spades aswell, and wouldnt be bothered about the time it took to make it at all. you could use a couple of say 6 terminal connectors for the connection near the headlight i wouldnt be bothered about doing that aswell.

Chris Hebden
05-02-2009, 14:33
i wouldnt be bothered about using insultated spades aswell, and wouldnt be bothered about the time it took to make it at all. you could use a couple of say 6 terminal connectors for the connection near the headlight i wouldnt be bothered about doing that aswell.

If i was just going to use spades for that block connector then i might as well leave it as it is ;)! As long as i can get my hands on a spare loom or get a cheap run around then the time it takes to knock it up doesnt matter either. Thats all thats stopping me from cracking on now :crap:

tom t
05-02-2009, 15:05
i meant like using a couple of these...

also if you do get hold of a loom would you pretty please take measurements of wires lol :agree:

and the door plug idea could be a good un. a m8 of mine has always got old clios in. might have to pop and see him.

Chris Hebden
06-02-2009, 00:17
Thats the type of plug i've got in mind to use, but 2 of them. Dont worry when i get round to sorting this out i'll be posting all the info up!