PDA

View Full Version : F4R Conversion Steps?

Woznaldo
11-11-2018, 00:04
Ok, it looks like I’ve picked up an F4R from a Clio III 200 Cup. In fact I’ve got most of the mechanicals for the car. So what I’d like to do is confirm a few points and let people pick holes in my plan or correct me if I’ve made the wrong assumptions for fitting an F4R to an R5 GTT.

Mounting

There are two pieces to this puzzle depending what direction you go in. So I’ll list each mount and talk to that.

Front Right - R5 GTX will bolt straight up, but rarer than rocking horse shit. Make your own or modify the original.

Front Left (Gearbox) - this will depend on what transmission is used. JB/C can utilise std mount. Clio 6spd won’t fit without chassis rail mods (substantial).

Rear - again transmission related. JB/C will bolt straight up, Clio 6 spd? Not sure?

So first question. If the chassis was modified, would the stdmounts work?

Driveshafts

Again, very transmission dependent (obviously) and to a certain extent dependent on what hub/upright combo you plan on using.

JB3 - std shafts ok?
JC5 - std shafts ok?
6spd - ? No idea.

I plan on running Clio 172 wide track, so I’m going to have to figure out lengths, but might be ok with hub splines (23?).

Gearshift Linkage - JB/C use std setup. 6spd??

Exhaust

I guess this will come down to manifold/bulkhead clearance? The rest is fairly std exhaust fab stuff. Do I need to run a CAT if using std ECU?

Electrical

I’ve got the whole loom, so I should be able to give it power. I’ll probably run it’s fusebox too?

ECU - I want to keep it simple for now, so OEM. Will the std ECU work as is, or will it need an unlock to turn off the imobilizer/security?

What are my options if if does need an unlock?

Engine Ancillaries

Alternator - just a rewire
Power Steering - maybe a delete, maybe keep and use a 172/182 rack?...
Air Con - Normally just delete, but it gets freakin hot here (40+ deg C).

There’s probably some gaping holes but hopefully none that haven’t been overcome before. I should also add that I have access to welding equipment, a lathe and a mill, so I can make quite a lot if it comes to it.

Woz

Matt Cole
11-11-2018, 23:14
Woz, are you just running it n/a or going turbo? Leaving it n/a will be easier.

I guess the clio 3 uses the larger bell housing /bolt pattern mated to the pk gearbox. The box in the 197 was dreadful, I'm not sure if the 200 has the same one, either way I would stay clear of it. If you want a 6 speed, go for the ndo is out of the megane.

The easiest route is fit the j series box. If chosen you can drill the block and fit it that way or better still find a 172/182 block and swap all the innards over. The 200 has a better balanced crank than the 172, but it should fit right in.

So, using the j series, and a GTX mount (or modified gt one) it should all fit right in. The engine will lean back a bit, but that's not a problem unless you want to use the upper engine mount and cradle welded into the gt inner wing. You may need to pack up the rear mount to sit the engine slightly upright to fit the mount. You could however, fabricate up an alternative.......

Using the 6 speed

I have not measured the pk boxes, they may just fit between the gt rails. If not, then the passenger side rail will require cutting and modifying to clear and a gearbox mount fabricating. You may need the engine cradle as above to allow the engine to "hang" off the mounts. If done correctly, any other mounts to be made should be man enough to stabilise the rotational forces.

Drive shafts, j series fit right in, anything else will need to be made. The 6 speed uses splines input into the gearbox, the long side with a bearing carrier and in two pieces. The outer Cvs will need fabricating to the shafts dependant on the hubs you choose to use.

The alternator chance to only use one wire, yellow I seem to remember. The f4r mount is bulky but can be used/modified.

Not sure if the aircon can be used, it gets tight down there, the a/c pump and auxiliaries probably won't fit.

Gear linkage is as you said. The 6 speed will need the gear stick box and cables routed effectively in the engine bay.

Woznaldo
12-11-2018, 02:12
Thanks Matt, I'd plan to run it NA t start with. I'll have the whole front end from the RS200, suspension and all, so if I decide on the 6 spd I should probably swap to the full PerfoHub setup?

Do I need to do anything to the OEM ECU? Or is it a case of give it power and it'll work?

Thanks for all the info so far. I should have you on speed dial!

Woz

francob80
12-11-2018, 13:02
Not sure if 200 F4R and 172/182 F4R have the same engine mounting points on the block itself ? but if they do I can put you in touch with a chap called Daz who makes engine mount and alternator mount which are a perfect fit for GTT set up. They cost as little as £65 for both too so not breaking the bank.

Woznaldo
15-11-2018, 09:23
Thanks Franco, that would be awesome. I'm not how compatible they are, but I'm currently pulling the engine from the Clio and will have a good look. GBP65.00 seems pretty reasonable. I'd like to see a picture of these mount though.

Woz

francob80
20-11-2018, 15:30
I'll be honest, I struggle to upload pictures on this site but if you send me a PM with your email address I will send you pictures of the mounts via email.