PDA

View Full Version : New to site - back to 5GTT ownership after 24yrs

ayrton4ever
18-08-2017, 19:00
Hi all,

I had a G-reg tungsten grey that I sold in 1993. Got the itch and just got a seemingly never modified Ph2 with good history.

Believe it or not it needs a few things done ... any tips on garages that know these cars around Middlesex/Hertforshire would be very appreciated.

Power Engineering is listed.

Also GDI (Grey Devil industries) but website not working etc, are they still going?

Thanks in advance.

Ian S
18-08-2017, 20:37
Do you know what needs doing?

ayrton4ever
18-08-2017, 22:44
Do a good inspection under the car
Noticed a water leak as I was parking after motorway driving , no doing it when driven around the block, no overheating. It was night I need to check to see where its coming from.

Erratic idle, previous owner said probably carb tuning, I am thinking could be fuel pump or even the el. Ignition?

Needs one window motor.

Gearbox linkages adjustment

Oil indicator dead - could be a nr of things

Petrol indicator erratic

Central locking not working- no fob either

These are the main things I want to do first.

Also want to do some servicing gearbox oil, brake fluid.

markg
19-08-2017, 09:31
GDI are gone I believe. Last I heard Andy Cutler was working for Ktec. Speak to Mark Galvin (Markeymark) if he is still on here or get him via the Rtoc Facebook site. There is also Mike (gt turbo spares) who is based near Southampton. If you get stuck let me know and I will find you contact details.

Ian S
19-08-2017, 13:20
Mark Galvin: http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?79-Markey-Mark-(BD)

Erratic idle, previous owner said probably carb tuning, I am thinking could be fuel pump or even the el. Ignition? Mine was a faulty ECU; RPM going up and down every couple of seconds. There should be enough fuel in the float chamber to rule out the fuel pump. Mine also had some detritus in the idle jet a few times. And maybe an air leak into the carb under the throttle spindle.

Needs one window motor. That could be corroded spade connectors or the drive that needs cleaning.

Gearbox linkages adjustment. As I recall, there's no adjustment under the box, or in the car, just replace worn parts.

Oil indicator dead - could be a nr of things. Many of us never find the fault or get that going again, but it either corroded connectors somewhere, maybe behind the left headlight, faulty sensors.

Petrol indicator erratic. Probably corroded connectors. Sometimes the sender itself in some or other way

Central locking not working- no fob either. I don't think the original fobs are available, mostly the lock motors would be controlled by the after market alarm fob, via the original module. I seem to recall mine was stuck at the door mechanism.

Also want to do some servicing gearbox oil, brake fluid. The gearbox filler hole is at the front of the box, 22mm nut I think, and a long flexible neck funnel is the tool for that job. I used an EZBleed and car tyre to change my gearbox oil. Similar to this: http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/gunson-eezibleed

Markey Mark (BD)
19-08-2017, 18:30
Happy to help out if you need some work doing on your 5 mate, i'm in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

Matt Cole
21-08-2017, 23:41
Welcome to the club! ;)

LiamR
22-08-2017, 23:17
Welcome to RTOC!!! Get some pics of your car up 👍

ayrton4ever
26-08-2017, 12:11

Matt Cole
27-08-2017, 17:37
That looks lovely! :) body work is the biggest challenge with these now. More pics needed. ;)