PDA

View Full Version : Speed season 2017

RussellT
13-04-2017, 19:42
Just got the final regs for my first event of the new season at the Liverpool MC run event at Aintree on the 22nd.

Some good competition in the class with 3 Clios the duel boosted VW Scirocco (turbo and supercharger) a rapid Honda Integra and a 205GTi

Im still working on the throttle bodies. Im filling a lip onto the bottom to grip the silicone hose connector. At the moment they are parting company with the inlet manifold just trundling around town. The big downside of that is you loose the vacuum to the brake servo which I really don't want to happen at full chat in 4th going into Beechers at Aintree!!

Anyway I need to get through scrutineering and the noise test before I get anywhere near the circuit.

Wish her luck.

Matt Cole
14-04-2017, 10:07
Good luck Russ. Keeps us posted.:agree:

Trevhib
14-04-2017, 10:37
Go well Russ. Exciting times with Doris' latest evolution. :agree:

Alex
18-04-2017, 13:37
Good luck, keep us posted...

RussellT
22-04-2017, 08:53
The first event hasn't gone too well. I got as far as Preston on the way to Liverpool when she started to run lean. Diagnosis wasn't hard as I had the issue 2 days ago use to contamination in the fuel blocking the injectors. I got off the motorway and managed to limp all the way back to St Annes where she cried enough 3 miles from home. So AA called ETA 90 min so I locked her up and called a taxi to take me home.
I need another fuel filter just before the fuel rail.
If I can get the line cleared before lunch I could still compete but I would need to on the road by 11.30 and tthat looks doubtful. I have informed the organizers that I have broken down.

Trevhib
22-04-2017, 10:37
:(

Any updates?

RussellT
23-04-2017, 11:49
As I sat down to eat my breakfast still in my race pajamas feeling a rather deflated. My phone rang. It was Andy who had done all the work on Doris. Although it was his day off he was willing to tow Doris in and clean the injectors. So that's what we did. In addition we had a fuel filter left over from the rebuild and put that into the fuel line before the fuel rail.
Up she fired and off I went, having first checked in with the Liverpool Motor Club. I arrived just in time to sign in unpack and join the queue for the last practice run.
I did that at road settings and she ran fine setting a time of 57.85 with a speed trap of 113. I fed straight into the queue for the first competition run and this time at 16psi boost Doris managed 55.66 with a speed of 115. Father and son team Michael and Alex Thornton in the Honda Integra was the class of the field with Alex on top on 54.86 with 118 through the speed trap.
On full boost 21psi Doris absolutely flew but I was struggling. I was breaking too early not sure of which gears to use and to be frank way off my PB of 53.11.
On the last run I was tied with dad Michael on 54.78. Michael had the better 2nd best time so I was in 3rd. Michael was ahead of me and I could see his last run time. 54.45 and the commentator announced the time declaring it a new PB for Michael. So I was under pressure to respond.
I braked late for the first corner threw her at the apex and the rear started to bounce, not good, sending me wide towards the golf course. The right front was destined for the grass but I kept pushing and although the wheel was well on the grass Doris took it in her stride and I powered out of the corner.
With all that drama at the first corner I didn't get into 4th for the second corner but in 3rd I could feel the diff working pulling me around the corner to a fast exit on a good line. Up to 4th I'm flying and brake late and hard for the last corner and I lost the rear. I'm in real trouble I go through the big dip on the entry seriously sideways on full opposite lock. I have only one hope. Full power now. I bury the throttle and the front pulls me straight. I'm still on the track and heading for the finish. I hold 4th through the speed trap at well over 7K revs Doris loves it. I stop the clock at 54.41 2nd by 0.04. My best speed trap was 117mph.
I know the time is down but it's not due to the engine.

Matt Cole
23-04-2017, 22:11
So how does it feel compared with the car Russ? Do you think with more practice the difference in power delivery will be of benefit?

RussellT
24-04-2017, 08:13
The engine is amazing it just loves to rev as an example I could hold 4th through the finish before the power would ebb away and I had to change to 5th. I am very happy with the way the car drives.

Trevhib
24-04-2017, 14:16
Awesome. Really glad you got there and competed. A nice reward for your mechanic's commitment. :)

Sounds bloody hairy out there on track. Reading it I wasn't sure which way it was going to go! Looking forward to the reviews of your other meets this year :agree:

RussellT
19-05-2017, 15:38
My second event is on Sunday. It was rather doubtful the event would go ahead as the operators of the 3 Sisters track went into administration. However all is apparently sorted with the receiver and the event is on. Just 53 cars so will no doubt have plenty of runs.

Since the last event at Aintree I have had the tracking checked she was 4mm toe out not quite the desired setting and Ive fitted my last pair of AD08 Advan Neova tyres. They may not be class legal from next year so may as well use them. The nearside CV boot was ripped and chucking grease at the nearside brake rotor so thats been fixed and some new pads put into the front brakes.

Meanwhile the launch control has stopped working I havnt fiddled with it I think I will leave that to Scoff.

R

RussellT
22-05-2017, 15:11
What a day we had on Sunday at 3 Sisters dry all day and 8 runs in total 2 practice and 6 competition runs. Doris performed faultlessly but my driving was a bit off. My best time was only good enough for 4th place up against a strong class. Keith Minshull was the star performed getting to within a whisker of Fred Currell's class record. His best was a 51.64. Then came an old friend and namesake Russell "Fishy" Herring in a very tidy Fiesta ST 150 tuned by Mountune. Paull Henderson was behind me but having swapped onto Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres he loped off over a second to take a clear 3rd.

No excuses the video shows some bad habits and maybe I could be more aggressive with the kerbs. My next event is a trip to Harewood on the 4th June. Lets hope for another sunny day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi7nq-pyxzE

RT

Matt Cole
22-05-2017, 21:28
Russ what suspension setup have you got?

RussellT
23-05-2017, 08:35
Leda dampers up front with 300 lb/" springs stiffened front anti roll bar Koni dampers at the rear with a volvo ARB added.

Trevhib
23-05-2017, 11:41
After coming out of first gear it looks like there's only 2 gear changes over the whole distance!

RussellT
23-05-2017, 14:16
yep 1st to second then 2nd to 3rd for the back straight to the final corner. I was planning on trying 1st gear for the uphill hairpin on the last run but when I got there I couldn't change gear as my left foot was otherwise engaged on the brake.

Matt Cole
23-05-2017, 23:27
Leda dampers up front with 300 lb/" springs stiffened front anti roll bar Koni dampers at the rear with a volvo ARB added.

Might sound like a strange question this but what is it like on the road? I'm wanting a decent road setup with my heavier engine but don't want my fillings knocking out with every slight road imperfection.

RussellT
24-05-2017, 09:18
You can alter the settings on the dampers so just run them soft on the road. We have an issue with potholes so I have given up using her on the road. If we had decent roads she would be fine. The competition engine mounts give some vibration into the car she is quite loud so not the most relaxing drive but I still enjoy using her which tends to be running up and down to Scoff at EFI Parts Runcorn.

Alex
24-05-2017, 13:40
So Doris is no longer your daily driver Russ? :eek:

RussellT
24-05-2017, 20:21
No I can't say she is. The lack of replacement body parts really made up my mind.

RussellT
01-06-2017, 21:27

Doris at full attack into the downhill esses.

Sunday seas the first hill climb of my season at Harewood north of Leeds.

Since the last event my pit crew have discovered a leaking waste gate actuator and 2 broken HT leads. They have hopefully fixed a leaking rocker cover that was in danger of dripping oil onto the flywheel and reattached the turbo which had managed to unscrew 2 studs.

I won't be winning any prizes on the day though as the Harewood Championship allows list 1B tyres which are road legal competition tyres where as my clubs stipulate list 1A tyres road legal tyres.

RussellT
05-06-2017, 15:25
Harewood on a sunny day with a vast expanse of Yorkshire before you is a great place to be. Yesterday was such a day. We had 2 practice and 3 timed runs on a dry track. The best I could manage was 70.52 which is pretty hopeless.

The pit crew had swapped my leaking actuator for the one that came with the new turbo but thats only good for 7.5 psi so not really strong enough to control the wastage at higher boost levels but still it worked fine I ran an indicated 18.5 psi boost at the inlet manifold and as before the engine felt very strong reved easily and broke traction if I was rough with the accelerator. So to finish with a time considerably slower that Ive done with no brakes and a misfire is baffling.

In 2009 I ran a 68.99 with sector times of 2.70, 9.82, 14.26, 14.47, 16.36 and 11.38
yesterday my best was 2.82, 9.99, 14.79, 15.00, 16.59 and 11.33

The course map is here www.harewoodhill.com/content/imgs/large/XNTJEUDBAU64200915173.jpg

Anyway a new actuator is on its way. My next event is another hillclimb at Barbon where Im the class record holder but if the day is dry that will change next weekend.

A highlight of the day was bumping into a Jeff Roberts all the way from Norfolk who has no fewer that 4 GT turbos (he later admitted it was nearer 3.5) but still thats quite a collection.

RussellT
09-06-2017, 15:27
Barbon tomorrow and Doris is pouring petrol from her new tank. There is a yellow bung thats been displaced by the tank moving against the subframe. Back in the pits having that fixed. Ive also had a new firmer sprung wastegate actuator from Turbo Technics fitted. So again I need to work out what gain level on the Blitz boost controller will give race boost.
The weather forecast is heavy rain which is never nice but at this rural event threatens weather it can go ahead the paddock is a field (literally a paddock) and turns to mud quickly.
I know Doris isnt competitive and Im pinning my hopes on Scoff being able to find something in the mapping when he returns from holiday.

Trevhib
10-06-2017, 10:47
I assume she's handling as she was and you're as confident/punchy as ever, so sounds like a lack of torque, traction, or both. :crap:

Matt Cole
11-06-2017, 11:06
Could be the increased efficiency in torque that the efi has to offer. Might be worth looking into boost by gear now if their isn't anything blindingly obvious.

RussellT
11-06-2017, 22:43
For the second year in a row Barbon was blighted by poor weather, It really is a sweet little village nestled in a valley with a spectacular hill climb up Lord Shuttleworth's drive. As I mentioned the paddock is just that a paddock and it gets very wet and boggy. The entry exit point is particularly vulnerable to acquiring bog like status akin to Glastonbury. Having seen this before I suggested that some hay was put down. The cars mix this in and it holds the surface together enough for cars to run over it. That idea was not taken up. The course is a long left then a straight to another off camber long left another straight to a tight hairpin and finally a short run to the finish. I am nervous of the braking for the hairpin having almost destroyed Doris there 2 years ago. If you brake late but then lock up you are doomed.
My class had 4 very fast cars with 5 drivers who had all beaten me at one time or another, so it was a tough class. We had a Clio Cup car a Scirocco 1390 (turbo and supercharged) A Starlet and a Honda Integra. I had managed to arrive with less petrol on board and was heartened to see that I wasn't too far off the pace in practice running 14psi. In fact I was thinking of leaving the boost down to reduce wheel spin. I also reduced the front tyre pressures and softened the front dampers to suit the wet conditions.
In the end I turned her up to a race boost setting and sure enough out of the first corner the front tyres lit up then out of the second corner in 3rd gear the same thing happened. Up to the hairpin Doris is really flying. My plan was to go from 3rd to 1st with a double de clutch but she wasn't slowing enough, so I went to 2nd then 1st. I had some room to spare but hit a nice apex and powered out in 1st then grabbed second before the finish. I stopped the clock at 33.27 which put me 4th with the Clio in the lead with a 32.54 ahead of the Scirocco and Alex in the Integra (32.90) Gordon Riley in the Starlet was having gearbox issues.
That turned out to be the end of the event. A Sylvia striker thew a con rod layering the track with oil. The marshals toiled in the persistent rain for half an hour to clean it up. We finished the first runs and as I put my helmet on for our 2nd run the clerk abandoned the meeting because of the degeneration of the paddock exit.
So a performance nearer the mark in very difficult conditions.
My next event is back at Aintree on the 24th June It would be nice if I could make it back to Scoff's before then. Im also worked about a "catch" in the drive train like something is loose in the drive train. I also need to fix the leaking petrol tank..

RussellT
11-06-2017, 22:46
Could be the increased efficiency in torque that the efi has to offer. Might be worth looking into boost by gear now if their isn't anything blindingly obvious.

There is a problem with the map "accelerate pump" function if you stamp on the throttle there is a momentary lean reading on the AFR meter.

RussellT
12-06-2017, 23:17
The engine bay of Will Roberts victorious Clio Cup 31090

By the way having posted this photo I noted that Will has removed the slam panel at the front of his car which is against the class rules. Its also a safety issue as it significantly weakens the front of the car. Ill have to mention it to him next time I see him of his father.
All very F1
(moral 3rd to Doris!)

Matt Cole
13-06-2017, 22:23
Well done doris! ;) keep us updated on the repairs.

RussellT
15-06-2017, 09:54
OK pit crew found a loose ball joint nut, broken nearside engine mount and the roll pin in the drive shaft was broken.
Re the fuel leak, the replacement tank has a yellow plug on the drivers side and the plug is like a cup and the base of the cup was cracked. I turned down a nylon plug and glued it into the cup with water weld paste.

RussellT
17-06-2017, 20:37
31094 the debris under my intank fuel pump

RussellT
24-06-2017, 14:37
Doris takes an early bath.
On the way to Aintree this morning she developed a misfire and refused to accelerate. I wasn't sure why she had plenty of fuel pressure but was registering lean on the AFR on acceleration. I had been messing with the fuel tanks so it was possibly a blocked injector again. Anyway I parked up signed on and unpacked.
First practice confirmed my worst fears as she coughed and spluttered out of the corners, however worse was to come. Turning into the last fast right hander as near side rear suspension accepted the load there was THE MOST ENORMOUS CRACK! WTF was that. I backed off and trundled around.
Inspection of the car failed to find anything broken or issue with the rear suspension.
I went for 2nd practice but it was hopeless thankfully she handled OK but I couldn't accelerate.
A new competitor at his first sprint and also in a R5 GT turbo was Shane Dyson who obviously knows his way around a car and the upshot of investigation was a weak spark from one side of the wasted spark coil pack.
Various kind and some would say foolish souls offered me a shared drive but when I drive other peoples cars it often doesn't go well so I made the decision to call it a day and I packed up and trundled home. The scenic route back from Aintree again.

RussellT
30-06-2017, 16:26
Update
It wasnt the coil pack it was a clogged injector again despite the inline filter just before the fuel rail. At least I have a spare coil pack and I took the opportunity to put some heat shielding under the coil pack.

No news yet and what caused the loud crack.

RussellT
13-07-2017, 17:36
Scammonden Dam on Sunday is my next event. Its a odd venue right by the M62 so its one place where noise is not an issue. Ive done hill climbs there before but never as part of my championship so this will be a first.
Update on Doris the pit crew couldnt find anything amiss with the rear suspension but there was a mark on the underside of the car suggesting I had run over something.

We shall see
R

RussellT
17-07-2017, 23:23
Im back!
slight issue there when my subscription ran out.

Too late to post now but in short a great day out 9 runs on offer 1 did 8 and came 3rd.... out of 4 in class.

More later

Russell

Matt Cole
18-07-2017, 00:54
Im back!
slight issue there when my subscription ran out.

Too late to post now but in short a great day out 9 runs on offer 1 did 8 and came 3rd.... out of 4 in class.

More later

Russell

We were worried that there would be no further updates!! Glad your back Russ and supporting us as ever!;)

RussellT
19-07-2017, 23:38

Doris ready to go. Just arrived a tad early to get a good spot in the "paddock"

Scammonden Dam is a little gem created by a water board engineer with a penchant for hill climbing. The pumping station at the bottom of the dam needed an access road so he crafted a tricky S bend with a final tight in and opens right hander, through in some Armco and voila Scam Dam hill climb was born. It's short but seriously steep get it wrong, have to back off and the car just stops. All it lacks is a nice parking area. The constant noise of the motorway powering across the dam drowns out the noise of the competition cars but still a few residents across the valley have been known to bulk at the ricochet of an anti lag firing.

The weather was dulll at first but then scorching hot and the track originally contaminated with clumps of mud soon cleaned up and gave impressive grip. Time Team had set up a 64foot time and a split, giving 3 sectors.

Doris had run fine on the way down but still hesitated on initial acceleration.

RussellT
22-07-2017, 14:04
31334 searching for a boost leak

Finding a boost leak at the one way valves. Over to the pit crew to fix.

RussellT
24-07-2017, 20:29
Internal damage to one of the connecting hoses from the plenum to the TB. The worm screw of the jubilee clip was overlying this area and obviously transferring too much heat.

I found the leak at the one way valves for the breather circuit and the brake servo.

RussellT
24-07-2017, 20:43
Considering the boost leak (which also didn't help my brakes) Doris did pretty well.

Nigel won the class in his Scirocco with sector times of 2.85, 14.34 and 10.94 total 28.13
John Pinder was 2nd in a Fiesta ST with sector times of 2.97, 14.59 and 10.91 total 28.47
I managed 3rd with sector times of 3.00, 15.03 and 10.67 total 28.70.

So Doris was the fastest from the split through the tight in and opens right to the finish. Roaring through 2nd gear to the rev limit and a snatched change to 3rd to get across the line.

Should go better with all the boost going into the engine.

RussellT
24-07-2017, 20:47
Here is a link to an in car of the hill

https://youtu.be/N6BKq8W-YH0

Matt Cole
24-07-2017, 22:20
Well done Russel. Pretty good going considering!!!

Hopefully all the niggles should come to an end and give you a clean break to win some events. ;)

RussellT
26-07-2017, 22:41
Update
The pit crew have found that the one way valve for the breather circuit was broken. My precious boost was leaking into the sump. Luckily I had a replacement. I asked them to check the one for the brake servo. No news on that one yet.
So that should make a difference.

RussellT
28-07-2017, 19:13
This is the track for Sunday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d3BM_CHon8

Nigel in the Scirocco is down to play, as well as The Pug 306 team of Keith Minshull and Paul Henderson always good for a cup of tea and even a burger as they compete in style with extended family in tow.

Doris feels better with boost going into the top of the engine rather than the bottom but it looks like a wet day and the fiendishly clever Scirocco is fas in the wet.

We shall see.

R

RussellT
30-07-2017, 20:59
Back from a sunny 3 Sisters after mother great days motorsport. Doris ran perfectly apart from an issue with the fuel supply. As I upped the boost in stages she started to really fly, In the end I managed a 3rd place out of 12. Keith Minshull won the class with 85.27, then came Nigel in his scirocco with 85.73 and I managed a 86.24 on my first timed run at just 16psi boost.
Upping the boost the engine response was terrific she really flew down the straights and pulled all the way to the rev limiter, and the joy of having brakes that worked. It's a under appreciated luxury.
However the 3 sisters track features a never ending right hand bend taken initially in 2nd gear then changing up to 3rd as you turn. It's all at very high revs and usually involves spinning up the front wheels. My swirl pot fills from the pipe that originally came from the small pump on the reserve tank. It finishes in the head of the sender unit. I suspect that through this long bend the fuel from the lifter pump doesn't fall into the swirl pot. Doris ran out of fuel down the straight after the bend. Not a good situation as she would have run lean.
To cap it all on my last run the turbo started to scream at me again and the really popped and banged over the line. Peak boost registered 23 when it had been 20psi on the previous run. I thought that was strange but it was only on the way home with the boost controller turned down again that I realised I had a problem. Accelerating had the boost surging to 18psi. Something was seriously wrong. It turned out that one of the pipes had come off the control valve and I had no wastegate function at all.
That could have caused a lot of damage.
So a very positive day and I need to take the sender unit out for further modification.
Next event is back to Scammoden dam on the 12th August. There are no long corners there!

Matt Cole
30-07-2017, 21:13
Do you not just lift from the main tank to the swirl pot Russel? In any case the restriction is always going to be the original fuel sender unit. Maybe a bigger swirl pot would sort it?

turbo ted
30-07-2017, 23:33
I still use the original sender and Gtt fuel pumping to fill my swirl pot and then 044 gravity fed off swirl pot to rail👍

RussellT
31-07-2017, 07:59
I wanted to use the reserve tank and the original lifter pump to "simplify" the system. :cartman:

Lucky for me the Adaptronic ECU has an overboost ignition cut you can set.

Another advantage of the swirl pot around the original sender is that when the level in the SP runs low the orange fuel warning light comes on, which is what happened, then the fuel pressure dropped.

I really should have given up and backed off but up to then the run had felt so fast I couldn't give up on it.

Matt Cole
31-07-2017, 21:25
I still use the original sender and Gtt fuel pumping to fill my swirl pot and then 044 gravity fed off swirl pot to rail👍

Rob, can you explain how you have piped up your set up? Im on changing mine now with lift pump, pot and 044

RussellT
07-08-2017, 12:51
I know why I ran out of petrol.
The lifter pump from the reserve tank pumps into the sender. Which is good as the fuel will enter the swirl pot, however there is no exit hole for the returning fuel it just seeps out of the join between the plastic base and the metal sides. So Ive drilled a couple of 5mm holes just above the base to let the fuel out.
I put it all back together started to clear up my bench and found the filter for the bottom of the sender sat on my bench staring at me so I had to take it all apart again. :sad:

RussellT
07-08-2017, 20:41
I know why I ran out of fuel II

My main fuel pump just packed in. This isn't going well.

Matt Cole
08-08-2017, 13:12
I know why I ran out of fuel II

My main fuel pump just packed in. This isn't going well.

:cry:

Russ,

Have you a separate power feed to your pumps? The original 30 year old wiring gives a lovely voltage drop and will most likely upset the fuel pump curve.

If you get ten minutes can you draw a schematic of how your fuel setup is configured? I like the idea of using the reserve tank, but need to understand the arrangement further.:agree:

RussellT
08-08-2017, 19:10
I know why I ran out of fuel III
This is really interesting and I bet no one knows this.
I have been using the lifter pump from the reserve fuel tank to fill my swirl pot around the sender unit. Well its a nice big pipe to the sender unit which has a juicy connector on the top to slide the pipe onto. Well my man tried to blow down this pipe and couldn't. The lumen of the pipe connector on top of the sender unit is just 1mm! And when I was sliding the pipes back on I had managed to block it with a stray piece of pipe rubber.
Clearing that out. Drilling out the lumen to 4mm and we should be good to go!

Ill work on the drawing. You will all be amazed at the magnificence of my genius! :cartman:

R

RussellT
08-08-2017, 23:13
rough schematic of the new fuel supply system for Doris.

The idea is I can run low levels of fuel in the main tank and excess in the swirl pot merely overflows back into the main tank. The float switch in the reserve tank lights a light on the dash when the level runs low in that tank and I have a new fuel level sensor in the main tank.

Simple really.

I didn't bank on a minute hole in the sender inlet from the reserve tank. And yes I have a dedicated power supply to the fuel pumps good thick copper wires. A top tip that one, I was told that the first job the Ford boys do on the big power Cossies.

Trevhib
09-08-2017, 11:07
Here is a link to an in car of the hill

https://youtu.be/N6BKq8W-YH0

:xbones:

Trevhib
09-08-2017, 11:13

The idea is I can run low levels of fuel in the main tank and excess in the swirl pot merely overflows back into the main tank. The float switch in the reserve tank lights a light on the dash when the level runs low in that tank and I have a new fuel level sensor in the main tank.

Simple really.

I didn't bank on a minute hole in the sender inlet from the reserve tank. And yes I have a dedicated power supply to the fuel pumps good thick copper wires. A top tip that one, I was told that the first job the Ford boys do on the big power Cossies.

Float switch looks like a cigarette! Lol :xbones::xbones::xbones:

Matt Cole
09-08-2017, 20:55

Simple really.

Thanks Russ. I hope your healing skills are better than your art skills!:laugh:

RussellT
10-08-2017, 11:48
As in dont give up the day job. :laugh:

Big WE coming up
Return to Scammonden Dam Sat The Fiesta ST that beat me into 3rd is there and Mike Thornton in the Integra who I beat by 0.04 sec to get 2nd at Aintree in my first event is also down to attend. Im car number 5 so fingers crossed for a good event.
Then on Sunday, all being well, Im booked into the rolling road at EFI Runcorn.

RussellT
12-08-2017, 22:01
Well today started full of optimism of a chance to compete and a good result and it only lasted as far as the M55. As soon as I got onto the motorway I lost fuel pressure. To compound my woes I just missed a turnoff and had to crawl all the way to the M6 and back. With a sense of deja vu I rang the venue to say I had a problem and would try and make the event.
I started the diagnostic process by extending the pipe from the lifter pump to see what the flow was like and in truth I say it was little more than a dribble. That will need investigating further. Then I took the sender out (I'm getting quite good at that) and took it completely apart. The connector for the pipe from the lifter pump appeared to go nowhere and was blocked when I blew down it. The feed to the engine just connected to the central pipe to the base of the sender and finally the return from the engine exited at the side of the sender cylinder and should feed into the swirl pot. I drilled the inlet for the lifter pump so that it exited into the sender cylinder which I had already drilled to let the fuel out at the base. There are 3 tiny holes in the base for that function but the are only around 1mm in diam. There was also a load of crud in the swirl pot which no doubt clogged the filter and was removed.
So all back together I set off again only to have the same result. :sad:

It should work.

Anyway for the trip to Scoff's RR tomorrow weight isn't an issue ill just brim her and keep her full as long as the petrol level is above the top of the swirl pot there wont be an issue. So off I toddled to the petrol station filled her up (35L) and I was stood in a rapidly expanding puddle of petrol. Now what :sad2:

It looks like the bung repair I made on the side of the tank is leaking. I cant believe it.

Anyway I'm going to try to make Runcorn.

Matty
12-08-2017, 23:54
It doesn't sound you you are having too much luck!:crap:

What about using the standard fuel pump on the heel board to fill a fabricated swirl pot that sits where the reserve tank is, and just run a campus filler neck?

Then just plumb it in like a conventional swirl pot setup. :agree:

RussellT
14-08-2017, 08:16
Strictly speaking to be compliant with my speed class regulations I have to have all standard equipment on the car. Anyway it is going to work but plan B will be to use the intank pump to fill the swirl pot directly.
Anyway the trip to Scoffs went better she was overfueling power was the same as before and he sorted out my launch control glitch.

Ian S
14-08-2017, 10:52
You have non standard wheels and tyres, bonnet, intercooler? EFI, inlet manifold. Air filter? Turbo? Boost level? Shocks and springs and bump stops? Carburettor internals? Exhaust system? Brakes? Head work? Bottom end work? Whilst it has the original block and head, it's far from standard.

So are they relaxed about just how standard the competitors equipment has to be?

RussellT
14-08-2017, 13:09
:D
They are all permitted modifications.
When I say "standard equipment has to be fitted" its the fog lights, radio, electric windows, rear wiper, all the loudspeakers, spare wheel cage (I carry mine in the car) wash wipe, all that sort of stuff. So the reserve petrol tank should remain although I could probably get away with not having it.
There is a standard car class but you can still change dampers and springs.

I made Runcorn. She was overfueling but the power was the same as before and I had no fueling issues at all. I just had to stop and top her up on the way home.

R

RussellT
15-08-2017, 15:59
I know why I ran out of fuel IV

This

Was impaled in the reserve tank outlet. 😩

I suspect I'm the culprit when I relocated the pump in the main tank. If so it migrated from the main to the reserve tank and then managed to get its end stuck down the outlet.

Anyway better out than in. Now I have to see if I can get the main tank repaired for the 27th

Matt Cole
16-08-2017, 14:11
and they say cable ties are a great invention!:crap:

RussellT
21-08-2017, 11:56
Update on the tank repair
Atlas Plastics and Fabrications Leigh have been really helpful and willing to try and fix my tank. None of the plastic they had in was a match for the plastic of the tank so they suggested getting a scrap tank to cut up into a "welding rod" Anyway Bob at CGB sent me a reserve tank which I took to the firm last Friday. Its going to be a long shot to get the tank fixed and back into Doris in time for me next event at Harewood on the 27th.

Ian S
21-08-2017, 12:44
Have you see this article?

He used a soldering iron to melt the plastic together and seal the leak: http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?4766-Fuel-tank-removal-and-repair-(from-old-site)

RussellT
22-08-2017, 15:08
Just picked up my repaired tank from Mick at Atlas Plastics and Fabrications Leigh

He charged me £40and still has the scrap tank if anyone else needs the same service

LiamR
22-08-2017, 23:18
Looks a decent job! With a decent price to match 👍 Luckily ( touch wood) none of mine have ever needed this repair.

RussellT
28-08-2017, 16:37
A huge day at Harewood yesterday.
Stunning weather, the hill was in peak condition with spectacular views down the valley.

I had no less than 19 other cars in my class and 11 cars in total were running the slower 1A tyre and therefore would be included in the result for my championship score. The top men are on List 1 B tyres which are road legal competition tyres. My mentor and Harewood instructor James Kerr had a new set of Extreme tyres with a tread wear rating of 80. Thats basically Blue Tack!.

http://extreme-tyres.com/en/

Just getting to the venue had been an achievement after my recent fuel related issues and the leaking main tank. The run over to Yorkshire hadn't been completely smooth. Doris was misfiring and I seriously contemplated turning around. However I remembered competing and getting a result with the broken gearbox 2 years and I told myself to have faith in Doris. Then I remembered that whilst cleaning the spark plugs I had decided to cable tie the lead from the cam sensor to a HT lead to give it some support. Never a great idea to hold a sensor wire against a HT source. I pulled over fished out some pliers and removed the cable tie and she ran a lot smoother but still not completely smooth and she had a inconsistent throttle response. I really hoped I hadn't founded the injectors again with all the messing around with the fuel pipes.

Anyway I was a tad late but at the venue. Unpacked signed on and scrutineered. The 2 R5's were together in the paddock and looked good in the sun.

Graham Norminton now has the Ex Ian Butcher megabot Bumble Bee R5. He has plans to make her lighter and had bought her a proper parcel shelf so showing some car sympathy. He even checked her oil. Graham is a potential top runner in the class and was on the 1B tyres.

First practice didn't go to well for me. I started OK but ran wide out of the blind left hand country corner, onto the grass and then at the next left I immediately lost the back end and did a 180 backwards into the gravel trap. I was able to remove myself and complete the run but not the start that I wanted.

Next practice saw me make the full course and I managed to break 70 seconds at 69.96. Only 4 100ths but psychologically the time looks so much better with a 6 at the front.

Doris was running fine on the track the diff was working well and I hoped I could run a decent time especially with the boost upped to race mode!

Timed run 1 was quicker but at 69.84 I was hoping for better. That came in the second run. A little more familiarity and refresh the lines in my mind a little more finesse with the right foot and I stopped the clock at 68.66. So pleased to be back in the 68's and the final run 68.95 was looking quicker still on the splits, I was 0.2 of a sec quicker to split 4 but then I was slow through Orchard. The new engine just has that tad more lag and maybe comes off the cam so is slower out of the slow corners.

If I put all my best sector times together I could have run a 68.39, so very much back in the game if not anywhere close to the top men at Harewood. Gordon Riley won with a mega last run 65.48. current Record holder Deryck Jones had to settle for second with 65.58. Then came James a second back on 66.49. Maybe the sticky tyres were slowing him down. Graham also had a spectacular last run of 66.84 almost a second off his previous best, to leapfrog 2 cars into 4th place. The 1B tyres are prob worth a second so Ill concede the win in the R5 stakes to Graham.

I ended up 7th and the fastest 1A tyre runner just ahead of a Honda S2000 who ran 69.00.

So there and back, set a better time than of late, my complicated fuel system worked flawlessly but still a niggle with possible muck in the fuel rail and a suspicious smell of petrol when you lift. On the back of the day I have booked into the remaining events I can do which if I get scores in all will give me a full set for the Longton Championship. I can't afford another missed round. All in all its been a very eventful year and I am just half way with 6 rounds left. Two next weekend, Aintree on Sat and 3 Sisters on the Sunday.

RussellT
29-08-2017, 22:17
Doris in full attack mode

RussellT
31-08-2017, 21:43
Doris heading for the gravel trap

http://www.barcyorkshire.co.uk/gallery/320

If you browse you will find more photos of Doris and Bumble Bee (more of a hornet!)

Trevhib
01-09-2017, 13:26
Quality pic in the gravel trap :wasntme:

RussellT
02-09-2017, 20:35
DORIS WINS!!!!

Not only does Doris win she destroys the opposition on the Aintree power track with (and this is a first with EFI) a NEW PB time of 52.72 Keith was best of the rest taking 2nd with his last run 54.46 from Nigel Trundle 54.81. You have to say not in the same postcode as Doris and she misfired over the line at 114 MPH when she had been at 120 on the previous run.

I have another event tomorrow at 3 Sisters so I turned the boost down for the next 4 runs and concentrated on trying different rev settings for the launch control. 4K revs worked well with a 2.77 sec 60 foot time.

Keith is likely to get his revenge on the twisty 3 Sisters circuit but we shall be trying to giving it our all to make him work for the win.

Matt Cole
03-09-2017, 09:09
Well done Doris! Top stuff certainly and sounds like the ECU is finally paying off! Whats the missfire issue do you think Russel? Anymore tuning required?

RussellT
03-09-2017, 21:07
Prophetic Matt

After the ecstasy comes the agony

My day today finished like this

I was trying hard to come a distant second to Keith Minshall. On a wet 3 Sisters track his time was faster than some of the single seaters! I was running low boost to control wheel spin. Stuck in a mid field battle I was running 15 psi when just like at Aintree down the final straight she started to run on 3 cylinders. All her fluids were in place and she still ran on 3 but there was a noise that can be best described as a death rattle coming from the engine.

Towed off the venue I came home courtesy of the AA.

Ill post an update when the pit crew have taken a look.

I have no idea how my best timed scored but it maybe game over for the season anyway.

Matt Cole
03-09-2017, 22:10
Prophetic Matt

After the ecstasy comes the agony

My day today finished like this

I was trying hard to come a distant second to Keith Minshall. On a wet 3 Sisters track his time was faster than some of the single seaters! I was running low boost to control wheel spin. Stuck in a mid field battle I was running 15 psi when just like at Aintree down the final straight she started to run on 3 cylinders. All her fluids were in place and she still ran on 3 but there was a noise that can be best described as a death rattle coming from the engine.

Towed off the venue I came home courtesy of the AA.

Ill post an update when the pit crew have taken a look.

I have no idea how my best timed scored but it maybe game over for the season anyway.

:( What a real shame!!. I guess reliability is now the key Russel. Get that pit crew working overtime and back to the top!

Alex
04-09-2017, 12:16
A really mix of cars and bikes there, I really like that blue Nova saloon :D Excellent result for you & Doris but very unfortunate what happened in the end, sounds quite terminal for the engine?

RussellT
04-09-2017, 20:45
One slightly worse for wear inlet valve

Bits went up through the throttle body into the plenum and down the other side.

Shopping list.

New head with valves , 4 pistons and liners, Rocker bar (snapped foot), gasket set, head bolts.

2 weeks to the next event. Looking rather unlikely.

Shame I loved that head.

Trevhib
04-09-2017, 20:49
Ouch. :(

RussellT
04-09-2017, 21:46
Interesting to postulate the sequence of the failure. I think something definitely happened at Aintree. As I approached the line in 5th she started to misfire. But then ran fine at lower boost levels got me home and back to the next event no issues. Practice and first times runs at the wet 3 Sisters no issues. It was only after I raised the boost a bit to 15psi and went a bit harder at the track so higher revs but low load on the engine as the wheels were spinning that the valve hit the piston and snapped the head off.

I wonder if the original failure was the foot of the rocker bar letting the bar twist away from the head and losing valve lift. Hence the misfire at full attack mode but OK at lower energy levels in the engine then it finally wobbled about and let the piston hit the valve. The cylinder stoped firing when the spark plug cathode was smashed into the anode and no spark.

All academic.

Ian S
05-09-2017, 11:35
The valve only drops if the collets come off, the valve stem snaps, the cap breaks off, the spring shears apart.

The valves don't drop into the chambers if you remove the rocker assembly.

You maybe find the turbine blades are bent if bits of engine went though the turbo.

And if bits went down the oil return to the sump, the chain, sprockets and oil seal might be damaged.

All that happened to one of my engines.

Matt Cole
05-09-2017, 21:24
:( oh dear! But as Ian has eleduded to, full engine rebuild from sump upwards.

Alex
07-09-2017, 17:33
Well thats all quite depressing :(

RussellT
08-09-2017, 08:14
The collet cap and spring of the broken valve

The snapped off stem

Valve head clipped off like dead heading a rose

Ian S
08-09-2017, 21:11
Both of my C1J engines had what appeared to be valve failure.

First one, the collect seems to come out.

Second one, similar to yours, valve stem snapped, but mine at the top, at the lower collet groove. Couldn't be sure if that was the cause or the result of if the valve had somehow jammed, then the rocker snapped the top off, but then unjammed and fell into the chamber.

Both at full power at about 7000rpm or so.

If I'd had the funds I'd have bought brand new valves. Possibly with better collets with more retaining grooves. The OE valves are 30 years old and 100,000 miles. Then we fit a tall cam and race them.

I did have the valve seats cut lower and longer firmer springs fitted. The idea being that they don't compress so much with a taller camshaft and so the spring pressure remains more linear than with the standard equipment going nearly coil bound.

francob80
08-09-2017, 22:11
My advice is to buy these next time.

http://ruanovaperformance.com/gb/engine/112-forged-oversize-valves-r5-gtt-ni-cr-373-and-313mm.html

Matt Cole
08-09-2017, 22:23
Bargain them and in the sale!

Ian S
08-09-2017, 23:57
That says will fit OE, but don't half of the OE valves have only only collect groove.

Probably just a stock photo. But might be better if they do use two grooves.

Once upon a time there were some waisted stem valves. Paul Ivey or something like that.

For the mini:
https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=page&id=207&chapter=20

Paul Ivey waisted stem valves:
£25.50 each inc vat, 36.6mm: https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=328&products_id=14986

Paul Ivey valves:
£19 each, Inlet 37.2mm: https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=328&products_id=14973
Similar for exhaust.

If I read it all right, above made by:
http://www.gsvalves.co.uk/race-engine-components.html
Company founded by Paul Ivey.

So, £200 for Mini waisted stem race valves.

Maybe they do some that would fit the C1J head, or get the head modified.

francob80
09-09-2017, 12:10
That says will fit OE, but don't half of the OE valves have only only collect groove.

Probably just a stock photo. But might be better if they do use two grooves.

What says fits OE ? The larger Ruanova valves ?

Ian S
09-09-2017, 14:24
What says fits OE ? The larger Ruanova valves ?Yes, "NOTE: For installation you need to change the original valve seats for largers. By the rest, plug and play without any adaptation. Valid for OEM guides, retainers, springs and seals."

RussellT
10-09-2017, 10:50
Thanks for the advice. Those inlet valves do look meaty however the wall between the inlet and exhaust looks very skinny. My head from Prima Racing did have oversized valves see http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=30434&d=1463519123

Anyway earlier on in the process of fitting the twin throttle bodies to a siameesed inlet port there was some debate on whether the inner and outer cylinders would be fed with the same fuel air mixture. One benefit of the engine breaking is an opportunity to inspect the internals for signs of detonation and inconsistent fueling.

Check this photo out and I await comments

Ian S
10-09-2017, 13:15
On past C1J's I don't immediately recall observing such a stark difference between the clean area and the sooted area.

There's a pattern of clean area for the left pair of cylinders and for the right pair.

I don't know what that means though. Hot areas and colder areas of the piston crown? Does it mean the swirl and mix are not all that effective or it would be an even deposition?

Could it be that the fuel has not mixed enough and is 'wet cleaning' the clean areas, then not burning well enough and leaving a lot of soot? Could that be why the power was down from with the carb?

We can see many small indentations or gouges in two of the other piston tops, showing that metal did travel and probably has damaged the turbine blades.

If you look at the tops of the liners, you can see on the left two that there is no clean line or ring or area from the gaskets fire rings. The one next to the damaged one has the clearer area. Ideally they should all be more like that. Was the some gasket creep or leakage. As you're after a race engine, you could consider getting the block top and liner skimmed so they are actually flat. That might help the gasket stay in place and maybe hold the liners in place better. Either way, increased reliability I would think. Big Jim Racing use to do it to C1J's as some, at least, were so badly out there seemed no point in skimming the head and putting it on such a non flat block and liners!

Miller
11-09-2017, 18:52
Are you going to change the inlet manifold to one of the fusion motorsport ones when you are having it all rebuilt?

Matt Cole
11-09-2017, 19:48
Hello Miller. Welcome back!;)

RussellT
11-09-2017, 22:00
I am really happy with the way she breaths so I plan to stick with the same set up but please post me a link.

One thing I haven't done and should consider is changing the OE turbo elbow for a larger radiused pipe. I have huge respect for the original Renault designers and cant help feel they put that acute 90 deg angle in there for a purpose.

francob80
12-09-2017, 09:31
http://www.fusionfabs.co.uk/

Contact is Matt Rowley, I am currently fitting [one of his] to mine.

Miller
12-09-2017, 12:46
http://www.fusionfabs.co.uk/products

I would recommend the one piece downpipe as you will definitely see an improvement with it.

This company does the downpipe, tubular exhaust manifold and custom inlet manifold.

Chris

Ian S
12-09-2017, 15:10
Hi Miller,

We've already been all over this with Russell, pictures of Mattys inlet, everything.

Ian S
12-09-2017, 15:21
the original Renault designers and cant help feel they put that acute 90 deg angle in there for a purpose.Possibly to save money, possibly they only aimed for 120BHP, possibly they re-used existing parts, possibly they wanted to suppress exhaust noise, possibly they didn't know what they were doing. For at least 15 years we've all know better and been fitting something that works a lot better. We're not all deluded half wits who are imagining this stuff.

The odd patterning on your piston tops might be suggesting your bodge of an inlet is not working as well as properly designed items and proven equipment. Showing that photo to some who knows about this stuff might help you achieve quite a lot more torque and power from your engine; maybe another 60bhp or so that, eg, Andrew Cooke was achieving from his EFI with decent gas flowing manifolds, etc.. And many C1Js were over 230BHP through the tiny little carb., 247 in one case with that car doing 11.9 sec 1/4 mile, so not make believe BHP. You're making less power with the EFI! The Big Jim EFI conversion to that red 5GTT, measured up at Scoffs, without NOS, made over 310BHP. Do you see the difference? Your missing as much as 120BHP.

francob80
12-09-2017, 16:46
Really struggle to post pictures on RTOC? Constantly get errors whether it be choosing the picture icon and uploading from phone or entering an IMG from somewhere like Photobucket, what am I doing wrong ?

I'd like to show Russell the manifolds that Fusion Fab have made for me.

Miller
12-09-2017, 17:31
Hi mark it was your car that I seen the new manifolds and they look great. Looking forward to see the difference between the new parts and the old mt inlet.

RussellT
12-09-2017, 17:37
Really struggle to post pictures on RTOC? Constantly get errors whether it be choosing the picture icon and uploading from phone or entering an IMG from somewhere like Photobucket, what am I doing wrong ?

I'd like to show Russell the manifolds that Fusion Fab have made for me.

They maybe just too large a file size. I find you have to use a photo editor to reduce them down to around 2K x1K pixels.

Ian
Thanks for the advice I did go back and look again at the links you kindly posted on the EFI thread so dont feel that I havent taken any notice of your input.

francob80
12-09-2017, 18:39
That needs fixing.

Feels like I'm using a site from the dial up era. 😂

Matt Cole
12-09-2017, 20:49
If from a phone set it to take pics at the lowest quality. 31612

Oosh

So, for a android, click the picture in the menu, from computer choose file or take pic. Hit attach. The from computer bit you just select the image from your phone's folder.

RussellT
12-09-2017, 21:43
Which is your bowl Matt?

Matt Cole
12-09-2017, 22:51
Which is your bowl Matt?

:laugh:

Ian S
12-09-2017, 23:54
Feels like I'm using a site from the dial up era. 😂We agree. And Mick had a good go at fixing it, even hired a vB specialist programmer as well, but it's hard coded into vBulletin and can't be changed.

It a similar issue with the avatar photos. If you move your cursor to one, it shows a large pop up version. I specified that and Mick got the programmer to do it. Alas, vB won't allow a higher resolution photo there either, so it's blurred.

RussellT
10-10-2017, 22:45
This weekend is the climax to the season and Doris is still in bits. The last parcel of parts from Prima Racing arrived today, so its going to be tight to be ready in time. I wont be able to get her mapped so it will be a “running in” mode if it happens (for the second year in a row)
Watch this space.

RussellT
15-10-2017, 23:12
The final weekend was upon me and the replacement parts for Doris was one collet short of a full set. Prima sent them recorded delivery, but to my home address. With both of us at work and the package requiring a signature they were retained by the post office.

So I had to ring and scratch from the event. I did consider a requesting a double drive and one of my club mates was down to drive a standard Ford Focus with no one else in his class. Unfortunately when I rang the club for his contact details I was told that the entry list was inaccurate and he was sharing another car.

That was it I was out....then quite out of the blue the entry sec text me that Keith Minshull had offered me a drive in his mega 306.

Driving other peoples cars hasn't gone well for me in the past and I could not afford to wreck another race engine, however on the other hand I was well short of a full set of events and Trac Mon is a special place and its a long off season. With significant trepidation I accepted the offer. The only problem was my race licence was in Doris locked in the garage. Andy kindly retrieved it for me and the WE was back on!

I took some of my usual tackle which was just as well for at 6.00 am in the dark a ran over something hard on the M56. All seemed well for 2 miles but then the near side rear tyre deflated. I had to change over to the space saver and with that and a trip to the next services to check the pressures, I arrived just after 8.00am rather hot and bothered.

Sitting in Keiths car I needed a pillow to fully depress the clutch. First impressions were dominated by the brakes. If you went near the pedal it was like the car had hit a brick wall! He has Carbon Loraine pads and I want some. Then the diff its a gripper like mine but its very aggressive, which I suspect is down to the gear oil he is using.

So propped up in a strange car on a wet track I set off in first practice and the car felt really solid. It pulled in all gears 3rd was a low gear and the brakes coupled with ABS were nothing short of a revelation. The only issue was it was rather American and didn't really want to turn right.....

Matt Cole
16-10-2017, 09:42
Ha. Brilliant!:D did it end up in a ditch............:D

RussellT
16-10-2017, 15:22
Thank fully not. Matt.
My first practice was a 81.64 v Keiths 70.86 so rather conservative. I then improved each run getting down to a 66.63 on my 3rd timed run and I stopped there. Keith won with a new record of 63.83. I was 4th.
The next day was dry from the outset and I set myself the task of pushing the cars handling. In a front wheel drive car you want to get the back moving around a bit. I thought I should at least get a little slide on corner entry.
At Trac Mon International circuit there are some fantastic corners and the 3rd gear left hander off the pit straight is one of my favourites. It tightens on the exit and it has plenty of run off.
That was where I would lean on the car.
Well first I had a rather scary incident in the second practice. Pushing on a bit and enjoying the luxury of the anti lock brakes. I hammered down the long curving “straight” up the hill into the heavy braking for the blind tight left of Rocket. I stood on the brakes but rather than the comforting vibration under my foot of the ABS doing its thing I got a cloud of tyre smoke and the rear trying to get to the apex first. No anti lock brakes I shouted for the benefit of the dash cam (and the coroner) I lifted braked again recovered the car and made it around the corner. The next right induced understeer, prob from the overheated tyres and I had a similar issue at the final hairpin but this time I half expected it and had braked early.
“Your ABS isn’t working Keith it nearly killed me” Keith had a look. “That because you’ve turned it off with your knee when you got in” He had a override switch on the dash just to the right and below the ignition. The in car will prob look pathetic but Ill post it if I can.
Any way 1st timed run. I come off the start into the tricky off camber left onto the pit straight in second accelerate up to 3rd and I’m flying at my designated make the rear slide corner. The entry is uphill and blind but I just dab the brakes and throw the car at it. Nothing no hint of a protest, its like the car is saying is that the best you can do? OK lets see how you cope with full throttle I think. Ive not reached the apex but I mash the gas and she just takes it and me to a perfect exit kissing the rumble strip. Not really in the seat on my pillow, I’m hanging on to the steering wheel for dear life against the G force. What a car.
I stop the clock at 107.85 which is just behind Keith’s brother in law Paul. Now Keith is up to win the Liverpool championship and takes his score off who comes second so I needed to be a bit canny on my second run. In the event I messed a gear change and hit a higher gear so was well slower.
I stopped there Keith went on to win with a 106.25 and Paul was second with 107.63 and I was 3rd piping Dom Wilson in his Clio on a 107.93.
So a great WE (and season) salvaged due to the huge generosity and faith of Keith Minshull. I know my car handles like a barge in comparison and I have more work to do on the brakes.

What a year I think its been the best ever. I started not knowing if Doris would even run let alone compete. She did that and even took a stunning class win only for the engine to fail. I had all the fuel issues to sort, which taught me more about the standard system and the great work by Atlas fabrications to weld my fuel tank in time for Harewood. Talk about high and lows.

Trevhib
18-10-2017, 14:15
Ace. I never get bored of these write-ups :cool:

Thundercat
18-10-2017, 18:05
Actually is one of the write ups i look forward to reading on RTOC

RussellT
18-10-2017, 22:30
Thanks lads
Looks like I have come 7th in the Longton and District Championship not sure about the Liverpool Motor Club Championship

PS Doris was started this afternoon. The first revs on a rebuilt engine, the promise of more power and torque and the probable reality of much the same, if not worse.

RussellT
18-10-2017, 22:48
This is a link to an in car video of James Kerr setting the present 1B class record over 4 seconds quicker than I went on Sunday

https://youtu.be/JaMDQXfzvBM

RussellT
19-10-2017, 16:15
I spoke to Tony Hart at Prima Racing about my relatively weak handling and on his race 5 the front spring rates are double mine. He is sending me some details of torsion bars he supplies with costs.
The off season development program starts now!

Ian S
19-10-2017, 19:40
I had 250 lb / inch springs on my 5GTT on the road.

With standard Koni turned up to their firmest rebound resistance.

Reduced the understeer quite a bit, especially on tight corners and roundabouts. And increased the turn in bite.

A couple of people have / had 300 lb/in with re-valved Koni.

Matt Cole
19-10-2017, 23:33
I spoke to Tony Hart at Prima Racing about my relatively weak handling and on his race 5 the front spring rates are double mine. He is sending me some details of torsion bars he supplies with costs.
The off season development program starts now!

What sort of spring rates does he recommend Russel?

RussellT
20-10-2017, 10:17
600 lb/" :eek:

He can supply replacement torsion bars.

Having driven the 306 I need to spend some serious money. Power is nothing without control

http://www.primaracing.com/images/primaracing/homepage/slider1.jpg?1508494507764

Jimmy_GTT
20-10-2017, 11:44
Can someone tell me what is the spring rate of an oem spring?

Alex
20-10-2017, 12:52
600lb :eek: I dread to think what they'd be like to use on a road car. This is an area I want to improve upon. I have Koni Sports shocks and Apex -50mm springs. I'd like to invest in coilover so I can start experimenting with spring rates.

Matt Cole
20-10-2017, 13:00
Can someone tell me what is the spring rate of an oem spring?

I need to know this too as a benchmark

Russel, you will have to keep us updated with suspension mods, as im looking into all of this now. Nearly hitting the button on a set of Gaz and 350lb springs. This is for road use and heavier engine/gearbox. :agree:

RussellT
20-10-2017, 19:24
The 306 had 450 lb/“ front springs . You must have to stiffen the rear torsion bars to keep the car neutral. There are so many “experts” out there finding a real one isn’t easy.

Ian S
20-10-2017, 23:04
Just think about it. If you have very hard front springs and soft rears what will happen?

As the mass is transferred sideways when turning into the entry to a corner, the outer rear spring compresses, the outer front doesn't, and the car squats more at the rear and picks up the inside front wheel.

My personal experience is that the rear seems to, maybe does, move out a bit, then after the diagonal roll sets in, the front loses grip and slides out too catching up with the rear. The rear then goes a bit more, then the front a bit more. That's how the 5GTT was when I got it.

That was eventually put right by very very hard, but working, rear shocks from Bilstein from a tarmac rally car. Shame I wasn't not able to get the fronts as well. The 5GTT circuit racer binned them for Leda (Gaz), but regretted it. Those rear shock completely stopped the rear lolling over and so the whole car gripped. But they also would yield well over bumps at 70mph so didn't do the bad jolt through the spine, and punt the rear of the car off the road, that the cars dropped onto their rear bump stops do.

With those shocks on, when really pushed into a corner so it was was sliding a bit, the rear would come out after the apex and slow the exit a bit. I think my car needed either even harder front springs or the rear lowered as it may have been picking up a rear wheel a bit by that part of the corner and losing some rear grip. Or both.

When I fitted them, the shocks lifted the rear of the car and the shocks stayed at their maximum extension. The car would rock on two wheels if I parked with any of the four over a dip in the road surface or gutter. I was told that the way was to wind down the rear torsion bars and then use a jack to press them open enough to fit the shock on. That then would lower the rear and allow a rear wheel to drop into a hollow or to drop when cornering and give more grip.

Ian S
20-10-2017, 23:12
600 lb/"That is about the weight over each front wheel.

Would you need 300lb/" rear springs to go with them?

Are they supplying custom made torsion bars?

Ian S
20-10-2017, 23:19
Can someone tell me what is the spring rate of an oem spring?I think it might be about 120 pounds per inch. I seem to recall that, a long time ago, I measured one.

I first changed to 180 lb/" and they were a lot harder and a lot better. Then 250lb/" for a similar order of improvement, but a harder ride.

I drove a 5GTT with 300lb/" and it was a bit bouncy. I think it's shocks had not been re-valved. And by then, in a light weight car, the moving mass is squashing the springs less and you're getting more bouncing on the undamped pneumatics of the tyres.

Matt Cole
21-10-2017, 17:25
I won't hijack Russels thread but good info for the C1J in place. I would imagine Russel could go for 400lbs and a van torsion bar. Lower it also.

RussellT
23-10-2017, 16:59
Looks like I have come 7th in the Longton and District Motor Club Northern Speed Championship (I was one event down from a full set of counting events) and 4th in the Liverpool Motor Club Speed Championship (although only 8 completed a full set of counting events) Im down as the class 1B winner.

Keith won the LMCSC Sprint series where just 6 events count. The last 2 events at Angelsey were dropped scores as he had already done his 6 events.

My brake bias valve with various connectors has arrived so the winter preparation for Speed Season 2018 starts now.

RussellT
08-12-2017, 16:17
Keith gave me a USB with the data from his dash cam and this is what I've come up with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYT4cWX_lnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3pgq0WpIFk

Tomorrow Im back at EFI Runcorn to check out the rebuilt engine. I will let you know how that goes as the start of Speed Season 2018 :cartman:

RussellT
09-12-2017, 14:18
Sorry didn’t get there. Overfueling on cold start below 8 deg

Matt Cole
09-12-2017, 22:38
Thats a shame!:crap:

RussellT
16-01-2018, 22:10
I finaly made it to EFI Parts. Chris verdict on the new head is that he found it flowed well but the car needed a lot more advance to make the same power. He felt it wasn’t as high a compression ratio as the old one. Chris favours high compression and less ignition advance. The new engine did have a usefully quiicker spool up and better mid range, also he had to put a lot more fuel in at the top end and as he says fuel in means your flowing more air. That’s good and would suggest the new turbo elbow from Fusion has been a worthwhile addition but having said that why was the top power figure almost exactly the same?. Ill scan the plots and post them.

Next on the shopping list are a set of 1b tyres. Tony Hart pointed me in the direction of a wee wise man of tyres who has a unit just into Blackpool. An old speed eventer himself he knows some of the old hands around when I started.

RussellT
16-01-2018, 22:52

2018 engine in black 2017 engine in red

More fuel.... same power I can't help feeling that I am missing something

Matt Cole
22-04-2018, 18:20
Did you look further into the power level Russel?