PDA

View Full Version : Petrol tank removal phase 2

1312_Tom
19-02-2017, 19:21
I fear tank needs to come out soon to access corroded fuel and brake lines.

Sure this has been covered in past, but the specific question is on the tank mounting bolts - and captive nuts (work of the devil they often are).

Do they often just spin as corroded weld holding captive nut gives way? As commonly occurs with sub-frame mounting bolts.

If so..... how have others got round this? I can't even see enough access to get above or even view how they were fixed originally by Renault.

Any advice welcome

Ian S
19-02-2017, 20:03
I don't have any answers for the spinning captive nuts, but I found this article which maybe of other help: http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?4766-Fuel-tank-removal-and-repair-(from-old-site)

1312_Tom
20-02-2017, 18:48
Thanks Ian

will read over this later tonight, appears a comprehensive article.

Alex
21-02-2017, 12:14
I've done this job years ago and followed the above guide, generally. I don't recall having any issues with the bolts/nut spinning. I recall I didn't refit one bolts though, the one on the passenger side due to it being awkward. The tank has never fallen out since!

1312_Tom
22-02-2017, 20:30
Good news by sound of it.

Was back under car last night, brake pipes don't look as bad as 1st thought... but fuel line (the return one) does. Might get it, just where it joins rubber pipe running down from top of tank - without removing tank. I hope!

Matt Cole
22-02-2017, 22:44
Pain in the arse tank removal. Avoid if you can.:agree:

Alex
28-02-2017, 10:02
Good news by sound of it.

Was back under car last night, brake pipes don't look as bad as 1st thought... but fuel line (the return one) does. Might get it, just where it joins rubber pipe running down from top of tank - without removing tank. I hope!

You can renew the fuel line without taking the tank out :agree: