PDA

View Full Version : Oil change every ones advice please

redrocket29
09-12-2016, 19:22
I have a five Iv restored as Iv been posted . We're I took it for mot I asked for them to put 4
Polly bushes on and me being lazy after working flat out on it I thought I would ask them to just put the oil filter on and new oil I supplied with a copper ring I got from the club.
Now it has a lovely leak around the filter or oil cooler dripping quite bad Iv left it with them and they said they will take some bits off and look what it is.

I'm sure it's something to do with the oil change what's every ones thoughts
I so wish I did it my self but I wanted to take it away and strip it down my self but then I would be stuck and I would still have to pay.
Could it be the filter is not fitted propperly .

Mr Raider
11-12-2016, 17:35
I have a five Iv restored as Iv been posted . We're I took it for mot I asked for them to put 4
Polly bushes on and me being lazy after working flat out on it I thought I would ask them to just put the oil filter on and new oil I supplied with a copper ring I got from the club.
Now it has a lovely leak around the filter or oil cooler dripping quite bad Iv left it with them and they said they will take some bits off and look what it is.

I'm sure it's something to do with the oil change what's every ones thoughts
I so wish I did it my self but I wanted to take it away and strip it down my self but then I would be stuck and I would still have to pay.
Could it be the filter is not fitted propperly .

Oil filters dont usually leak, unless it needs another half a turn to nip it up?! more likely to be oil cooler leaking I would have thought. Have you got an aftermarket sandwich plate fitted for oil cooler? out of interest what oil filter is fitted, Purflux LS590? Fram 4546? Purflux LS218?

Alex
12-12-2016, 09:00
Have you cleaned the area to see if it comes back? Maybe they spilt the oil when they poured it in? Seems odd it would start leaking just because the oil has been changed?

tubbyG
12-12-2016, 12:29
I have never seen it myself, but do you think could it be possible for the sandwich plate/block bolt to come loose when undoing the filter?

redrocket29
12-12-2016, 20:07
Hi all my car is sat in the garage a week after the mot first for 8. Years I want to take it back but if I do I will be stuck with a stupid bill .
It's wired I don't feel I don't want any one to mess around with it.
Does any one fancy coming over I will take my car back have a look at it but I need some one that knows fives .
I could take stage pics as proof.
I was taking to a lad there that said he knows Markie b who had the ginger five from bury but can't track him down now .

Ian S
13-12-2016, 00:09
It can't cost much to get the garage to check they didn't loosen the central bolt that holds the sandwich plate on.

When I ran a 5 I was able to reach down and unscrew the oil filter by hand in a few seconds, then put a wrench on the bolt in a few seconds more. Even if they're not familiar with the 5GTT it's a very simple thing to do.

Before that, just clean the area off all oil and pay attention to where it leaks from.

It's all super easy. Even at £100 an hour, it's a five minute job to clean it and not much more to spot the leak if it's that bad, a little more if they have to get it up on a ramp.

There will be a cost if a pipe to the oil cooler has somehow cracked but one may have come a bit lose. Or a new seal behind the sandwich plate is needed.

Maybe the oil is over spill from pouring it in at the filler?

The problem with 30 year old cars is that sometimes a thing does break during normal servicing of another thing.

redrocket29
13-12-2016, 09:29
It's fixed the macanic said when he changed the filter some thing must of got loosened on the sandwich plate but its fixed and I'm happy and the guy really seems to know his stuff .going to rebuild that carb as I'm sure after 25 years will not do it any harm.
There is a slight wheep on the crank but he said not to worry prob get it done in the new year.
Thanks for the advice.

Mr Raider
17-12-2016, 17:09
Glad you got it sorted fella. :)

redrocket29
19-12-2016, 19:25
Glad you got it sorted fella. :)
Cheers mate.