PDA

View Full Version : Strange vibrations after lowering

WZA
12-11-2016, 15:43
Right so ive fitted my coilovers today, along with new hubs and drive shafts.

Im getting a vibrating noise shaking the car a lot when driving in a straight line, turning right and in gear, out of gear the noise is pretty similar but less vibrating. For every turn left its goes away slightly but then re appears when straight Its definitely coming from the passenger side ie wet drive shaft.

Ive put camber bolts on, to put some positive camber on to pull the shaft out the gearbox slightly its has helped but the noise is still there and it does get worse the faster i go

Anyone come across this issue before or have any ideas what it could be?

WZA
14-11-2016, 17:34
well I have another description if this helps

I previously had phase 2 top mounts, My monaco is a phase one so ive replaced to phase 1, Im thinking the shaft is to far in the box?

every half a revolution the gearbox jolts??And while you're turning the hub during that half cycle the gearbox moves slowly towards the front of the car,then when there's the jolt the gearbox returns to where it was!!

Is there different sizes for drive shafts?

Ian S
14-11-2016, 18:43
I think there are three prongs on the constant velocity joints? If so, that would be every third, not half?

Did you change the hub carriers to phase from from phase two at the same time as the strut tops and springs?

Ph2 carriers with ph1 tops will add a lot of negative camber.

Are your camber bolts enough?

Or did the car already have ph1 carriers with the ph2 tops?

It's not a wheel weight rubbing on a calliper?

I don't know if the Monaco (1.7 litre?) driveshafts are different from the 5GTT. Or the wishbones a different length. Maybe something here? : http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?18436-Differences-between-5GTT-Ph1-and-Ph2

WZA
14-11-2016, 21:55
Cheers ill take a look! :cool:

Yes thats correct, the gearbox is jolting in a manner it shouldn't!!

It was previously a 1.4 auto and have now converted it to a f7p including gearbox, with Renault 5 turbo shafts

Previously I had phase 2 top mounts and coilovers, camber bolts on with negative camber and the same thing happened, took the bolts off and it was a lot better but still done the noise on some 90* corners.

Replaced them with new phase 1 coilovers phase 1 top mounts and refurbed hubs, I have lowered it slightly, and the the noise is there, put the camber bolts on and put positive camber and it made it slightly better.

Maybe machining the shaft down is an option!

Ian S
15-11-2016, 08:54
Is the subframe the same? Engine in the same place in the 5 Auto and the 5GTT?

WZA
15-11-2016, 10:05
Yeah same subframe, All 3 engine mounts replaced to new ones, so its sitting in the same place as the gt turbo I presume. I did buy new wishbones to gt turbo ones so the should be fine for the shafts. :confused: