PDA

View Full Version : Speedo issues

bigdavec1974
17-01-2016, 08:52
Hi all,
Having some speedo issues, I have tried 2 sets of clocks and the same problem on both .
The speedo works but seems very inaccurate , reads about half of my actual speed then doesn't move above about 40mph.

Any clues,

Thx

Matt Cole
17-01-2016, 09:43
3 things:

1. Clean the sensor that sits in the gearbox. It gets caked in crap.
2. Check the connector mounted in the engine bay. Follow the grey speedo cable. Clean the connector or remove and solder the wires together.
3. Make sure the connector at the clocks is sound. ;)

J$£5GTT
29-01-2016, 19:15
just fit and use a sat nav.

Its what i have been using the past few years.

hassle free...
:D

Mr Raider
31-01-2016, 21:42
Hi all,
Having some speedo issues, I have tried 2 sets of clocks and the same problem on both .
The speedo works but seems very inaccurate , reads about half of my actual speed then doesn't move above about 40mph.

Any clues,

Thx

Take it you have tried the 3 usual things as above, just wondering if someone has fitted coloured dials and the speedo maybe out of calibration? either that or its getting a bad signal along the speedo cable itself. I would check the speedo pickup/sensor in the gearbox is cleab, should have a little clamp and 10mm bolt holding it in, is it pushed all the way in? Also check the 3 pin black connector near passenger suspension turret, may need a spray of contact cleaner. Finally the plug on the back of the speedo itself maybe corroded or insecure. I did find an issue with mine where the motor was stuck on rear of clocks which didnt help matters and just needed carefully removing, working backwards and forwards a few times then re-fitting. Might be worth trying another speedo that you know definitely works from another 5. ;)