PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Starter Motor Heatshields

Lowiepete
09-12-2015, 03:15
Hello Folks,

Found myself on this site looking at a heatshield (http://ruanovaperformance.com/gb/products/23-chapa-anticalorica-motor-de-arranque-acero-inox.html) for the starter motor.
Not too bad a price, but the killer is they want another £22 for postage,
and they call it "Economy Shipping"??

Would this be either a group buy candidate or even something for the shop,
where the postage for several could bring that aspect of the cost down?
Either way, I could be in...

Regards,
Steve

Bigfoot
09-12-2015, 09:24
This one has been discussed a while back as somebody was going to look at replicating this. Not sure how good the material would be plus with the space behind there would it work as well as the current material used.

Lowiepete
09-12-2015, 11:06
This one has been discussed a while back as somebody was going to look at replicating this. Not sure how good the material would be plus with the space behind there would it work as well as the current material used.
I did spend some time looking for that thread, but couldn't find it...
As for the material, well stainless steel should last the remaining life
of the car, so it should be fit and forget. Thermal conductivity is good (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html).
The price of an OE item is now just eye-watering and will probably not
last as long as the 1980s originals.

Regards,
Steve

jockr5gt
09-12-2015, 11:30
hi for what its worth i just made mine out of the aluminium heat shield you find under cars for the exhaust bmw is good to use as there,s is thicker than most other makes of car and being made off alli it dissipates heat very quickly the first one i made has lasted 10 years it has now brock through vibration so i shall make another as it worked well easy to cut and shape also heat rapping down pipe and manifold is a must to protect starter motor

Ian S
09-12-2015, 14:22
Thermal conductivity is goodwhich is why it terrible for this purpose.

Heat blocking is the job needed. Keeping the heat away from the starter, not conducting it there as fast as possible.

That's why the OE is a non thermally conductive fibre. The metal top layer reflects away radiated infra red energy.

Wrapping the OE manifold can cause it to distort and leak, requiring a refacing or a replacement manifold and new gasket.

Apparently wrapping some stainless tubular manifolds can cause them to crack.

Mr Raider
14-12-2015, 21:59
Starter heatshields are a good idea, protects starter from downpipe heat and helps it last longer. Renault made them with the heatshield for a reason... ;)

Matt Cole
15-12-2015, 13:04
Starter heatshields are a good idea, protects starter from downpipe heat and helps it last longer. Renault made them with the heatshield for a reason... ;)

:agree:

People that run with out and have had no issues have been lucky!:crap:

James5
15-12-2015, 13:06
:agree:

People that run with out and have had no issues have been lucky!:crap:

I ditched the std starter heatshield ages ago, but I do use that gold heat reflective heat stick on stuff covered my starter motor