PDA

View Full Version : Starting the 5

MR TURBO
18-10-2015, 12:37
So I decided to try start my 5 after a few years, Put a little bit of new fuel in, charged the battery, refilled water etc etc...... Turned the key and the bugger wont start. So took the carb top off dropped a little fuel in and turned the key and sure enough the 5 started briefly and then died out and will not restart on its own without a drop of fuel in the carb top. I'm starting to think it could be something else stopping my 5 from starting i.e fuel pump or need a new dizzy cap and rotor arm......Anyone got any suggestions???

P.s Please don't flood me with replies all at once :D:D:D:D:D:D

FlashbangGtt
18-10-2015, 12:40
Put the carbs fuel feed into a bottle and turn the car over to see if fuel gets to the carb... If so, clean/rebuild carb, if not keep looking😎

markg
18-10-2015, 12:41
First things first. Check that your getting fuel to the carb and also that your getting spark. Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on ?. I suspect you are getting spark as it runs briefly when you add fuel to the carb.

Markey Mark (BD)
18-10-2015, 12:48
Check the accelerator pump jet lever isn't stuck and the jets are clear inside the carb
Sounds like they are blocked up

MR TURBO
18-10-2015, 12:49
First things first. Check that your getting fuel to the carb and also that your getting spark. Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on ?. I suspect you are getting spark as it runs briefly when you add fuel to the carb.

Thanks for your reply Mark...... I'm sure I cant hear F all from the fuel pump when I first turn the key to the ignition lights...I haven't played with the 5 for years but I swear I'm supposed to hear a little whirring for the back end

MR TURBO
18-10-2015, 12:51
Put the carbs fuel feed into a bottle and turn the car over to see if fuel gets to the carb... If so, clean/rebuild carb, if not keep looking��

Thanks for the reply Flash.... Do u mean if there is fuel coming into the bottle its not that and keep looking???

MR TURBO
18-10-2015, 12:52
Check the accelerator pump jet lever isn't stuck and the jets are clear inside the carb
Sounds like they are blocked up

Thanks for the reply Markey..... I'll have to have a look at that too..... I'm thinking I've got a done in fuel pump

R5MJH
18-10-2015, 12:52
id start with fuel pump thats the first port of call boss

MR TURBO
18-10-2015, 12:53
just off to the gym lads.... Please keep the suggestions coming and again thanks to you all in advance

MR TURBO
18-10-2015, 12:54
id start with fuel pump thats the first port of call boss

Thanks for the reply R5MJH..... I've got a feeling it is that

MR TURBO
18-10-2015, 12:55
Who's got a donor fuel pump?????:innocent:

Matt_S
18-10-2015, 13:32
You won't hear the pump until you crank it. Signal is driven via TDC sensor.

R5MJH
18-10-2015, 15:27
simples take fuel pipe off and crank

no fuel = fuel pump or fuel pump relay fault then go from there no point doing other stuff if no petrols coming up id say 95% its pump as cars been standing ages ive just changed ours for a 044 as we had no fuel supply either

MR TURBO
18-10-2015, 20:34
simples take fuel pipe off and crank

no fuel = fuel pump or fuel pump relay fault then go from there no point doing other stuff if no petrols coming up id say 95% its pump as cars been standing ages ive just changed ours for a 044 as we had no fuel supply either

Anybody know if the fuel pump from a different model Renault will fit the R5?? Also R5MJH whats an 044 :scratch:

markg
18-10-2015, 21:16
044 = Bosch 044 fuel pump. Check yours first though. No point buying one if that's not the issue.

R5MJH
18-10-2015, 21:43
we got the 044 as we are running a f7r turbo and need the extra pressure they are slighty bigger but will fit with a slight mod but as mark and I said check yours first:agree:

Trevhib
19-10-2015, 10:36
If you aren't getting fuel through it could be the relay not the pump. I'd check that first as it's cheaper. Probably worth replacing anyway. Is there stock in the shop??

James5
19-10-2015, 13:05
Dude check that pump is activating, as the others have said if when you start the car you don't hear the pump remove the fuel pump relay and bridge the red and white wire's this will give the fuel pump a constant Live feed if you hear the pump start, relay is faulty if you don't check the wiring at the pump itself:agree:

Alex
19-10-2015, 14:06
If the TDC isn't sending a pulse then it won't activate the fuel pump relay and therefore you won't get any fuel. Bridge the relay first and see what happens......

MR TURBO
20-10-2015, 13:48
Thanks for all the previous responses..... Looks like I'm gonna be having a good little tinker around on the weekend or when I got a good few hours spare as I always plan to do one thing and get involved in 10 :D I need to get it started so I can bloody move it off my drive into a nice new awaiting garage