View Full Version : Door hinge pins

J$£5GTT
17-10-2015, 22:49
Just a tip,today i done all four hinge pins in about one hour.

Soaked in plusgas then used a punch the same size as the door pins and smashed bottom one down so it protruded about 25mm,then basically used a huge steel masonary chisel and snapped it off,fitting the new pin pushed the rest of the old one out.

Same method for the top,now i did not use the oversize pins and there is still slight door movement but its an improvement,possibly at a later date i will get doors off and drill hinges out.

Thought this maybe helpful to others,they are easy to get out unless you have the torx ones.

How has anyone else attacked this job?

Leigh5T
18-10-2015, 10:07
Great idea.

Saves you having to remove/support the door.

How much improvement have you seen?

Matt_S
18-10-2015, 11:04
That's genius. Thanks for sharing. :)

J$£5GTT
18-10-2015, 23:14
Great idea.

Saves you having to remove/support the door.

How much improvement have you seen?

Drivers door has about 40% less play and passenger a little more 55%,not bad,it will do for now,and it has taught me how to get the pins out so maybe one sunny warmer day next year i will drill hinges out and use the 8mm pins but tbh i can live with how it is for a while! least i know my doors wont now just fall off! LOL
:D:agree:

Alex
19-10-2015, 07:41
Did you fit the brass bushes?

J$£5GTT
20-10-2015, 23:56
Did you fit the brass bushes?

Nope,are they for the torx ones? i just hit out old pins and smashed in new ones,is there another method in doing this to help?

Leigh5T
21-10-2015, 16:14
Drivers door has about 40% less play and passenger a little more 55%,not bad,it will do for now,and it has taught me how to get the pins out so maybe one sunny warmer day next year i will drill hinges out and use the 8mm pins but tbh i can live with how it is for a while! least i know my doors wont now just fall off! LOL
:D:agree:

Top work :agree:

Alex
21-10-2015, 17:27
Nope,are they for the torx ones? i just hit out old pins and smashed in new ones,is there another method in doing this to help?

Ah yeah, I think the bushes are for the torx screws rather than the pins!