PDA

View Full Version : problem with my bro's car

markey b
27-01-2009, 15:04
im after some advice on my bro's phase1 gt turbo (with phase2 cooling system, AEI etc).

when driving it will often hesitate and missfire as though it is getting carb freeze and then loose all power and die on me. there is loads of unburnt fuel from the exhaust.

if you turn the engine off when it is doing this and leave it for a couple of minutes, then start it back up again it will be ok again for abit longer.

i dont think it is carb freeze because the engine isnt turned off for long enough for the ice to melt on the carb.
it almost seams like its flooding itself, and it uses a hell of a lot of fuel when it plays up.

my car has a much better IC setup but only suffered from carbfreeze when i didn't have the water pipes connected to the carb base, this one has?!?

i have replaced the carb with a known good carb and it is still suffering from the same fault. somedays it will be ok and others it will mess up.

coolant gauge doesnt go above 1/2 and there is no air locks in the sytsem.

any info would be greatly appriciated

Tiny Tim
27-01-2009, 15:17
Carb spec please.

Doesnt sound like carb freeze to me. The best way to cure carb freeze is either pull over for a minute or two with the car running or giving it a good toe'ing.

One thing he can try to eliminate carb freeze is partially/totally block the intercooler for a short run (ie, a piece of cardboard over the Intercooler).

James5
27-01-2009, 17:41
Carb base warped? I had a very similar problem after trying different carbs and cleaning new jets gaskets still the same swooped a few basis and the solved my problem I even put a bit of sealant around the plastic block gaskets.