PDA

View Full Version : Project reshell

tubbyG
17-09-2015, 09:58
So here we go! After being quiet on the 5 front for 2 years I finally have a new shell to replace my tungy :yeah:

A little background - Back in 2013, shortly after buying my first house with the missus my H reg tungy was unfortuanatley hit from behind. Although the damage didnt look to bad I didnt really have the time, or funds to fix it. It needed a tailgate, rear bumper then paint.
Inbetween the house renovations I began to strip the car and asses the full damage, it turned out that it needed a fair bit of welding done to get to a standard I would be happy with, and considering the car was far from original and has had about a million owners I decided that it was not worth the effort.
So the strip down began, I sold off the rollcage and various other parts to raise some funds and began to stockpile some parts while I looked out for a new shell.

Fast forward to last weekend and mising out on lots of 5's, I finally won a white GTT non runner on ebay for a very good price.

It got delivered yesterday :D

(some pics)

tubbyG
17-09-2015, 10:58
The shell itself is in very good condition, windscreen surround is mint, sills and bumper mounts have been tidied up so no rust there, the only thing that lets it down is the paint, its crying out for a mop and polish but if that doesnt bring it back I have a mate who can give it a blow over for me.

The previous owner had refurbished the front end and had the bay repainted before fitting a "running engine", he said it would turn over but wouldnt start.

I only had an hour yesterday to poke around it and immediatley seen that there were a few things missing and connected up wrong.
I put in some fresh fuel, a new tdc sensor and sorted the firing order. Finally swapping out the carb with the modded carb from my tungy - and it fired up! A little lumpy at first but running!
I was suprised to see that underneath, the running gear has been completley overhauled,- refurbed subframe,wishbones, brakes, steering rack & suspension they look almost new!

Milky
17-09-2015, 21:45
looks well tidy:agree:

looks a good buy:D

Trevhib
18-09-2015, 10:08
Great result! Looks like a very good base to start from. :agree:

tubbyG
18-09-2015, 10:34
Thanks for the comments :agree:

It seems a like a good deal so far and im looking forward to getting on with it.
Dont get me wrong though - (like most 5's) it needs alot of time and money to get it the way I want

royz
18-09-2015, 20:57
Thanks for the comments :agree:

It seems a like a good deal so far and im looking forward to getting on with it.
Dont get me wrong though - (like most 5's) it needs alot of time and money to get it the way I want

its worth it in the end

Mr Raider
18-09-2015, 21:56
Looks a great solid shell with no rust, even a straight subframe thats not seen a jack too! :agree: :)

tubbyG
18-09-2015, 22:13
its worth it in the end

Hopefully :D

tubbyG
18-09-2015, 22:21
Looks a great solid shell with no rust, even a straight subframe thats not seen a jack too! :agree: :)

Thanks, I'm sure there will be rust somewhere, I just haven't found it yet!!
I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I had a look underneath. Previous owner has done Alot of work there, just the rear calipers that are not new, they work so for now they can stay until the more pressing issues are sorted

tubbyG
18-09-2015, 22:44
After speaking to a friend this afternoon I have managed to get a loan of an engine hoist Saturday morning for the weekend.
So after work today I set about getting organised for the engine removal(s) - going to be a busy weekend!!
I uncovered the tungy, and rolled it out from the back of the drive to make some working space.
Then got onto removing a few things to make access a bit easier - I also gave the tungys dezent wheels a clean and swapped them onto whitey..... No idea what whitey's wheels were, but they were awful...

tubbyG
18-09-2015, 22:50
Some more pics

tubbyG
28-09-2015, 15:16
The last few weekends have seen some progress :D

Both cars have been stripped down, engines out and into the garage! since I have many duplicates, the parts have been sorted/arranged into boxes in an attempt to make the re-assembly easier.

tubbyG
28-09-2015, 15:29
With the engines out, I wanted spruce things up a bit and make adjustments to the cam timing.

stripped the engine down, wirewheeled, degreased, washed, primered, painted then finally laquered!!!! Coupled with some new bling brackets, water pump and a refurbed timing cover it looks miles better :smokin:

I had previously set the BP285 to 109deg, primarily to reduce lag on the T28. Now with a different setup and some advice on here I have retarded it slightly to 113deg this time round.

tubbyG
28-09-2015, 15:36
While waiting for the engine paint to cure I wired in and fitted my wideband and oil pressure gauges into the Johnny5 double pod - Looks awesome and almost factory :agree:!

Final pic of how it stands now! Still waiting on a few parcels to arrive this week, but all going well I hope to drop the engine and box back in next weekend

James5
28-09-2015, 16:18
Looking good buddy love the little blue line on the alternator :agree:
Keep the pic's flowing

Trevhib
28-09-2015, 16:41
Pod looks ace.

Could do with a set of dials from the shop :)

tubbyG
28-09-2015, 17:04
Looking good buddy love the little blue line on the alternator :agree:
Keep the pic's flowing

Thanks James, I seen it done on another post somewhere - may well have been johnathan smith on one of the facebook pages and i thought it looked smart.

Dont worry, i love a pic or two! :cooter:

Pod looks ace.

Could do with a set of dials from the shop :)

The pod is excellent, great work done by them. I want to keep the interior as oe as i can, and not having to butcher the dash is a bonus.

Ref the dial kit...... all in good time :D I have a wishlist of parts i want on this 5, slowly working my way through it, although typically items are being added weekly:wasntme: Trying not to go mad as it will definetley need painting once roadworthy

tubbyG
13-10-2015, 10:04
Slower than anticipated progress over the last few weekends but finally the engine is in its new home and I got a few other jobs sorted out. :D

New engine mounts, campus bottom pulley and shorter alt belt all fitted.
Radiator will be moved over a touch for better ic pipe run, so new mounting holes were drilled in the subframe, painted with new grommets. I have also chopped out the lower half of the crossmember off for intercooler fitment and while I was at it, took some meat out beside the pass headlight surround to give better airflow to the filter.

Still waiting for turbo to arrive, once thats here I will offer it up to check fitment, but its possible I need to trim part of the firewall....

few pics of progress.....

tubbyG
13-10-2015, 10:11
few more pics...

Jonny5
13-10-2015, 14:12
While waiting for the engine paint to cure I wired in and fitted my wideband and oil pressure gauges into the Johnny5 double pod - Looks awesome and almost factory :agree:!

Looking good :agree:

tubbyG
13-10-2015, 21:59
Looking good :agree:

Every 5 should have one :laugh:

LiamR
13-10-2015, 22:17
Looks like your doing a great job there :) keep it up!

And keep us updated with your progress too!

Jonny5
14-10-2015, 08:02
Every 5 should have one :laugh:

I think nearly every 5 has 😂😂

tubbyG
24-10-2015, 17:16
Slow progress on the engine side of things as I still havent got a turbo yet..........hoping to get it this week coming so i can get everything plumbed up.
In the meantime been working on my carb refurb skills. I have 3 in the garage at various stages of cleaning, and one fitted to the egine still to be done........i may have a carb fettish!
I have recently got hold of some decent second hand gaz coilovers for some tarmac scraping lows :laugh: I have been cleaning and sprucing them up a bit while i wait for new bearings and top hats coming. Wire wheeled all the surface rust off and repainted.

Currently have a 50mm drop at the front but im not happy with the amount of tyre on show so the gaz are a welcome addition.

I also removed the gutter strips as they have been painted and fitted my untouched ones from the tungy - looks much better.

Some pics ....

tubbyG
02-11-2015, 17:11
Turbo has arrived along with the external gate :smokin:

Hoping to get it on some time this week to check fitment and decide on pipework and hose layout.....

Grants13
02-11-2015, 18:07
a lot of YES going on here! that carb is gleaming!

tubbyG
03-11-2015, 13:01
Had a bit of time while home on on my lunch break................. so thought it would be an ideal time to put on the turbo and external wastegate :satan:

Im real happy with how it will look, but As you can see, its gonna be tight with the downpipe/screamer in there!! I have a few options to mull over

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/20151103_124148_zpsw5a83poy.jpg

James5
03-11-2015, 23:05
Looking good Graeme you finally got a VNT :agree::agree:

Good tip this retard your TDC sensor as far as it will go to the front of your engine

tubbyG
04-11-2015, 08:10
Cheers James!!

Yup, Im delighed to finally get myself a vnt. Been hankering after one for ages, but they always seemed to become available when I was skint.

This one has just only just been rebuilt prior to arriving also :agree:

Thanks for the tip regarding the timing sensor - I will get that done......... want to keep this engine in one piece for as long as I can :laugh:

James5
04-11-2015, 08:59
Cheers James!!

Yup, Im delighed to finally get myself a vnt. Been hankering after one for ages, but they always seemed to become available when I was skint.

This one has just only just been rebuilt prior to arriving also :agree:

Thanks for the tip regarding the timing sensor - I will get that done......... want to keep this engine in one piece for as long as I can :laugh:

Project is looking good :-)

I would suggest your next mod is looking into mappable ignition so you can ditch the AEI and have some proper control over the ignition timing. Get the ignition mapped properly aswell. Go for a decent brand product that has a lot of help on the internet, as always Scoff and the Adaptronic is really good the Adaptronic forum's are also fantastic for help, megasquirt has a lot of help advices on the internet.

tubbyG
04-11-2015, 10:44
You have read my mind :wasntme:..Thats the ultimate aim! Mappable ign would be ideal to get the most out of it.

If I were to go EFI then I would definetley consider adaptronic, but dont really fancy a full efi setup as the costs dont seem worth it imo for the little c1j, I would much prefer to do a conversion for similar costs but 16v much more power!

So far I have only been briefly looking at mappable, there are a few varying options out there on the market but I dont know enough about any of them to really make a decision just yet. More research will be done over the winter months.

I didnt plan on having the car on the road until next year anyway so I have time on my side.

James5
04-11-2015, 17:08
You have read my mind :wasntme:..Thats the ultimate aim! Mappable ign would be ideal to get the most out of it.

If I were to go EFI then I would definetley consider adaptronic, but dont really fancy a full efi setup as the costs dont seem worth it imo for the little c1j, I would much prefer to do a conversion for similar costs but 16v much more power!

So far I have only been briefly looking at mappable, there are a few varying options out there on the market but I dont know enough about any of them to really make a decision just yet. More research will be done over the winter months.

I didnt plan on having the car on the road until next year anyway so I have time on my side.

Might be worth finding out whom your most local mapper is as to what options you have available if the drive to Scoff is to far?

With that VNT you will be living on the edge of det constantly, awesome turbo's just take your time setting it up you can get them to come on full boost pretty much anywhere within the rev range I had mine setup to have full boost like a std T2 yet was giving 24psi at this point not building it up it was there already and just kept pulling 7k rpms+:-)

You may also suffer with spiking aswell, when setting carb / afr's go no leaner than 11.9 @ WOT. You will need a bigger needle jet I found a 1.9 pretty good on my MSM setup

tubbyG
05-11-2015, 10:18
Might be worth finding out whom your most local mapper is as to what options you have available if the drive to Scoff is to far?

With that VNT you will be living on the edge of det constantly, awesome turbo's just take your time setting it up you can get them to come on full boost pretty much anywhere within the rev range I had mine setup to have full boost like a std T2 yet was giving 24psi at this point not building it up it was there already and just kept pulling 7k rpms+:-)

You may also suffer with spiking aswell, when setting carb / afr's go no leaner than 11.9 @ WOT. You will need a bigger needle jet I found a 1.9 pretty good on my MSM setup

6.5hrs drive to scoff for me :eek:

I have a 2mm needle jet in the spares but im hoping I can get away with the 1.7mm std one with upped fuel pressure so to avoid any bogging down.

The adjustment of when you achieve full boost is the whole attraction for me, it's only a hobby/weekend play thing so It will take me some time setting up but im in no rush. As long as I can get a safe tune I will be happy.

I hope the external gate will be sufficient in catching any spiking that will occur and keep pressures steady. I have a range of wastegate springs here so im going to start with low pressure like half a bar or something, then slowly bleed off a bit more to see where my carb fueling can take me to.

James5
05-11-2015, 16:26
6.5hrs drive to scoff for me :eek:

I have a 2mm needle jet in the spares but im hoping I can get away with the 1.7mm std one with upped fuel pressure so to avoid any bogging down.

The adjustment of when you achieve full boost is the whole attraction for me, it's only a hobby/weekend play thing so It will take me some time setting up but im in no rush. As long as I can get a safe tune I will be happy.

I hope the external gate will be sufficient in catching any spiking that will occur and keep pressures steady. I have a range of wastegate springs here so im going to start with low pressure like half a bar or something, then slowly bleed off a bit more to see where my carb fueling can take me to.

If you've got an adjustable FPR even better, if you need any advice on the VNT I can remember what to adjust happy to help :-)

Keep the pic's coming though builds looking good, white 5's are growing on me :-)

tubbyG
17-11-2015, 12:55
The coilovers now complete have been built up with new bearings and rubber donut.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/20151107_132537_zpszvrjx9ip.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Phase2-tungy-gtt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151107_132537_zpszvrjx9ip.jpg.html)
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0003_zpspjdsmbnr.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Phase2-tungy-gtt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0003_zpspjdsmbnr.jpg.html)
Once set to the ride height I want, it appears that I will be needing some helper springs.

trial fitting of the turbo, downpipe and external wastegate highlighted that I needed to modify the bulkhead to allow for engine movement.
I had considered chopping out a section and replacing it with a straight sheet or changing to a screamer pipe setup, but bashing it with a hammer was a much easier option :laugh:
So After reshaping and repainting the offending area I'm left with ample room for the engine to move without hitting anything.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0019_zps0j9lwekz.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Phase2-tungy-gtt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0019_zps0j9lwekz.jpg.html)

So now onto the fueling and cooling. I have got a new 50mm alloy radiator, new header tank, cap and a nice powerful slimline fan. Ordered a decent sized front mount off ebay but it's yet to arrive.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0010_zpseje3gsku.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Phase2-tungy-gtt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0010_zpseje3gsku.jpg.html)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0017_zps0eejkpjz.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Phase2-tungy-gtt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0017_zps0eejkpjz.jpg.html)

Onto the fueling, before I can get the engine fired up I wanted to drain all old fuel. God knows how old it is... Looked rather nasty and ancient
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0021_zps0xb2r6lb.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Phase2-tungy-gtt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0021_zps0xb2r6lb.jpg.html)
I have an efi fuel pump, Malpassi 009 and in-line pressure gauge to fit next. These should be enough to get the fueling right for what I'm after.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0023_zps0p8wjj4p.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Phase2-tungy-gtt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0023_zps0p8wjj4p.jpg.html)

James5
17-11-2015, 14:20
Don't forget to retard that TDC sensor,

Project is looking good, love the hammer work :D:agree:

Would have been fine on the T28 being advanced it's the way the deliverance of boost is so brutal with the VNT at the same psi you were running will feel so much more agressive.

I could run my old MSM setup on full retard all day long @ 25psi manifold and would be fine on full retard but when I put it to std position would pop a HG within minutes of driving on boost. (Only one at surrey meet to break down outside the meet :-) pull over in style big cloud of white smoke.

tubbyG
17-11-2015, 14:31
Don't forget to retard that TDC sensor,

Project is looking good, love the hammer work :D:agree:

Would have been fine on the T28 being advanced it's the way the deliverance of boost is so brutal with the VNT at the same psi you were running will feel so much more agressive..

haha cheers!! I will definetley be retarding tdc to maximum before it sees any tarmac. The T28 setup was great tbh and made the car really enjoyable, but fancied a complete change as the B roads I tended to use werent best suited to the rev hungry turbo. VNT ticks the right boxes :burnrubber:.

A garage a few miles away has just had a dyno installed in the last few weeks so im tempted to see if I can use it to set up the carb - would be a lot easier/safer than road tuning!

tubbyG
27-07-2016, 15:49
Project is still ongoing (slowly but surely) new baby arrival/diy and family ilness have all took priority. But I have been chipping away at it a few hours at a time....

I will update once I get round to sorting out all my pics :agree:

tubbyG
08-09-2016, 22:38
some updated pics of what i've been up to

#1 new parts

tubbyG
08-09-2016, 22:41

bumper repair & paint

tubbyG
08-09-2016, 22:43
#3 Bumper repair and paint

tubbyG
08-09-2016, 22:48
#4 Intercooler & pipe-run

tubbyG
08-09-2016, 22:56
#5 New arb bushes and lowered the rear torsion bar

tubbyG
08-09-2016, 23:00
#6 new loom, fuel pump, fpr and side exit fitted

tubbyG
08-09-2016, 23:07
#7 Carb re-jet and rebuild

tubbyG
08-09-2016, 23:13
#8 header tank relocation, coolant pipes, fuel lines/pressure gauge & support for turbo

tubbyG
08-09-2016, 23:26
#9 As it stands just now

quick running vid

http://vid880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/MOV_0635_zpscn9gaojm.mp4

Alex
09-09-2016, 08:03
Looking excellent. Not long now before it hits the road hopefully :)

tubbyG
09-09-2016, 10:40
Looking excellent. Not long now before it hits the road hopefully :)
Thanks. I'm hoping to get it in for a mot in a few weeks.. I have a few small jobs to sort before then so just when time allows I will get to work on them

Trevhib
10-09-2016, 11:28
Wow, big progress! Great pics Tubby. Awesome to have it running again. :agree:

Mattw
19-09-2016, 22:21
Good work bud looks well tidy 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

tubbyG
23-11-2016, 16:01
This weekend is going to be fun :smokin:

Sig
23-11-2016, 19:40
This weekend is going to be fun :smokin:

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2424_zps72ahza2j.jpg

What are these like? I am thinking of doing a nodiz swap myself how much it set u back mate? Never used one before what is needed?
Thanks

tubbyG
23-11-2016, 21:17
What are these like? I am thinking of doing a nodiz swap myself how much it set u back mate? Never used one before what is needed?
Thanks

I purchased everything pictured from a member on here as a complete kit for a very reasonable price - loom, trigger wheel, crank vr sensor, bracket, coil pack, leads.

I will be adding in inlet air temp, coolant temp & MAP sensor when installing. Also I am new to this so dont know how well it performs, but from what I have read so far its a worthwhile mod. Its a fairly simple system to install...... and getting away from the AEI on a modified setup has to be a good thing!:)

Turbo_Tambo
26-11-2016, 09:38
It doesn't look that simple a fit! Interested in seeing how it goes though. Enjoy

tubbyG
26-11-2016, 18:13
Nodiz installed...............................and it runs :yeah:

Will get pics up later once I get to the laptop!

tubbyG
26-11-2016, 23:20
Last night I got to work on the loom and downloading the software.

Rigged it all up to test the Bluetooth connection and basemaps.

This morning I set about stripping the car - removing all associated AEI gubbins

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2438_zps7jccthrr.jpg

In an attempt to prevent the trigger wheel from slipping I welded the bottom pulley to the crank pulley hub
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2452_zps58q1exj8.jpg

Then to clamp the trigger wheel, tapped 4 m6 threads into it
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2453_zpsu1tgslbq.jpg

tubbyG
26-11-2016, 23:44
since the dizzy was no longer needed...............

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2436_zpsti6a2qn1.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2437_zps7lufqzfk.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2444_zpso7fspn69.jpg

crank pulley and trigger wheel on
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2456_zpshuvdtymx.jpg

engine set to tdc, trigger wheel set and secured
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2457_zps08djs5bm.jpg

tubbyG
27-11-2016, 00:10
Coil pack in place of old dizzy - Just placed here until I got it running and order some longer leads
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2445_zpsczlpt4cv.jpg

Crank sensor mounted and loom then fed into position
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2449_zpskdiczldu.jpg

It was now ready to run!!
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20161126_221154_zpszalitn5k.jpg

and it did...............Not quite first turn of the key - but after some coughing and spluttering she fired into life.....

First impressions are good. Engine seems to idle smoother and throttle response has greatly improved ..... Yet to drive it unfortunatley, I have a Plenty still to do:

tidy loom
wire in to rev counter
wire in launch control
wire in map sensor
wire in fuel pump to activate on rpm
mount/wire in coolant and air temp sensors
move coilpack

Waiting on some connectors arriving from ebay so I can use all of the external sensor, hopefully get them on by tuesday

Matt Cole
27-11-2016, 08:50
Great work boss! I like the adustable crank pulley.

The only thing is your not far off full efi. I bet you end up considering it once you see the benefit of tuning the ignition.

tubbyG
27-11-2016, 09:26
Cheers matt 👍

I have always thought that efi would be a great addition to the c1j, but no matter how good it would be I wouldn't go down that route due to £££'s per bhp.

If I had a grand or two spare to do the efi I would instead be sourcing an f7 or f4 lump and turboing that - maybe next year :laugh::burnrubber:

Matt Cole
27-11-2016, 09:50
Cheers matt 👍

I have always thought that efi would be a great addition to the c1j, but no matter how good it would be I wouldn't go down that route due to £££'s per bhp.

If I had a grand or two spare to do the efi I would instead be sourcing an f7 or f4 lump and turboing that - maybe next year :laugh::burnrubber:

Very true matey. ;) I would love to do another efi cij but using as many easy bolt on parts as possible. :agree:

Turbo_Tambo
02-12-2016, 09:50
Hey. How's the Nodiz ignition going? Would you say this was a worthwhile mod as i'm looking into doing this myself. Any more info would be great. Thanks

tubbyG
02-12-2016, 12:57
Hey. How's the Nodiz ignition going? Would you say this was a worthwhile mod as i'm looking into doing this myself. Any more info would be great. Thanks

Cant really give any more feedback on the product im afraid I have just working on the loom/sensors this week. I will be keeping the thread updated on the progress.

There are a few others running mappable ignition: 2x nodiz and 2x megasquirt that I know of on the forum and likley more - I have only read positive things about them.

Is it just the ignition side you are considering or is efi an option?

I have never intended to go efi(£$£$), but I wanted to ge the most out of my carb setup as I have drifted quite far from the standard engine spec where the renix was designed for...

tubbyG
02-12-2016, 13:47
Few deliveries this week:
3Bar map sensor, coolant & Inlet air temp probes

Their loom connectors and some diodes for the rev counter pickup

spliced into the coil a/b wires, diodes in parrallel joining finally at a zener diode which is then soldered onto the rev counter wire from the original aei.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2482_zpsa8q0wp1i.jpg

Coil pack moved over slightly from std dizzy position to rocker cover as it would have fouled intercooler piping.

Map sensor and stainless bracket for the ecu mounted in the scuttle

Sorting the loom in the dark :ashamed:

tubbyG
02-12-2016, 14:32
Nice new bracket for header tank mounted32023

Since minimalising the coolant pipes - removing the degass pot and subsequently the top hose with the bleed nipple, It had been a right pain to bleed the coolant system properly. So a few chops later a new bleed nipple was added in

Drilled/tapped the carb top for the air temp sensor

I had planned to mount the coolant sensor on the side of the head, but the first bolt I attempted to remove sheared off.... so I have put that on hold for the moment as I have enough jobs to do for the time being.. Where else have people mounted their coolant sensors?

In other news - The other week I sold my bare tungsten grey shell to a lad who plans to store it for a few years while he goes travelling before giving it a full resto on his return (crappy pics)
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2352_zpsbt9xdcro.jpg
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_2354_zpsfhrgsu4y.jpg

Glad to see it going to a good home and will free up some much needed room on the drive

James5
02-12-2016, 19:34
Looking good nice progress, you almost have that dream setup you have been after for a while :-)

Likeing the header tank bracket might copy that for mine as I need to raise the header tank so it's higher than my rad bleed nipple :-)

Trevhib
03-12-2016, 11:13
Fantastic. :agree:

tubbyG
03-12-2016, 20:03
Got a few hours in this morning to finish tidying the wiring
Barely noticeable with the Scuttle cover fitted

Starts and runs well, although needing to get hold of a timing gun to properly set up the Base timing properly.
Pleased to add that the o.e rev counter works :D

Also I still need to connect up a coolant sensor. Can someone with the sensor mounted in the head blanking plate take some measurements for me??

Turbo_Tambo
03-12-2016, 22:29
Cant really give any more feedback on the product im afraid I have just working on the loom/sensors this week. I will be keeping the thread updated on the progress.

There are a few others running mappable ignition: 2x nodiz and 2x megasquirt that I know of on the forum and likley more - I have only read positive things about them.

Is it just the ignition side you are considering or is efi an option?

I have never intended to go efi(£$£$), but I wanted to ge the most out of my carb setup as I have drifted quite far from the standard engine spec where the renix was designed for...

Only the ignition side for me. I want to keep the carb. That's what a 5 is😀

tubbyG
03-12-2016, 22:36
Only the ignition side for me. I want to keep the carb. That's what a 5 is😀

:agree: :D

Are you planning on mapping it yourself or getting a tuner to do it?

Just seen that you are in Oz.... Another member woznaldo is in over there too, he also has mappable ignition fitted to his yellow 5. Worth dropped him a Pm perhaps :agree:

Turbo_Tambo
05-12-2016, 11:38
:agree: :D

Are you planning on mapping it yourself or getting a tuner to do it?

Just seen that you are in Oz.... Another member woznaldo is in over there too, he also has mappable ignition fitted to his yellow 5. Worth dropped him a Pm perhaps :agree:

Hey. Yeah, i was looking at doing it myself if possible. I'm sure i can work it out with help from all the guys on here ;-)

Woznaldo lives over the other side of OZ, about a 5 hour flight from me!!! But i'll get in touch if he has a mappable ignition, all advise would be great.

Your project is going well, i'll interested in seeing what she can do.

Cheers

tubbyG
15-02-2018, 21:07
It seems 2017 went by in a flash! crazy! I cant believe I went the whole year without an update.

Well the 5 got itself an mot eventually and running on the nodiz, unfortunatley only used for a few outings but went well.

I had a intermittant oil leak throughout the year, resulting in the sump being off 3 times changing seals ....... I eventually gave in and took the engine out before christmas for a strip down. Turns out the crankseal gbox end wasnt seated correctly :crap: Im mid re-build at the moment.

I need to get my photobucket sorted out to fix the missing links on this thread then I will get a few pics uploaded of what ive been up to..

tubbyG
28-02-2018, 10:31
Took me a while to see what pics were missing and re-upload them. I still have a few missing so need to go through my photobucket account to finish off.

So I am just going to add some pics of the changes over 2017 as I go through it all.

I decided to make an airbox/heat shield for the intake that still allows decent airflow to the filter.

tubbyG
28-02-2018, 10:45
A few trips around the local area resulted in the start of (a long saga) oil leak which I would chase all year :laugh:
a replacement oil return was fitted

and the sump came off to replace the half moon seals.

doing all these jobs in winter wasnt much fun so the 5 was left untill the better weather returned along with my enthusiasm.

tubbyG
28-02-2018, 11:02
Once the good weather returned I got the mot Booked, only 5 miles away but this would be the longest journey I had taken in the 5 since building and running on the mappable ignition.

So a quick clean, refuel and off I went..3203632037

Upon arriving at the mot station, I could smell fuel - Uh oh...... maybe I shouldnt have put in half a tank on my way :dearme:. A quick look underneath showed the dreaded fual tank bung had failed. I put it in for test anyway.....

No surprise that it failed........ Fuel leak, another oil leak and rear brakes doing nothing....

tubbyG
28-02-2018, 11:26
I started with the fuel tank...

Then onto the oil leak - this time it was the crank seal at the timing cover at fault. I must have nicked it with the removing/installing the trigger wheel

Chesney84
16-03-2018, 13:27
Hello matey, how are you getting on with the No-Diz conversion? How is it compared to the AEI unit in terms of performance and how the car runs? I, like yourself, want to retain the carb but it is becoming more and more evident the limiting factor will be the ignition system. As I'm doing this engine build from scratch it makes sense to scheme this in now and do away with the factory AEI unit. Hopefully this will allow me to advance the ignition a bit and have the facility to retard on boost. Any advice you can offer?

Ian S
16-03-2018, 21:10
The AEI already does retard on boost, but it needs more and less here and there. I used to have the +4° advance from swapping around the wires, also slid the TDC sensor back or forth a bit. But that all was just not adequate.

Chesney84
16-03-2018, 21:35
The AEI already does retard on boost, but it needs more and less here and there. I used to have the +4° advance from swapping around the wires, also slid the TDC sensor back or forth a bit. But that all was just not adequate.

That’s pretty much what I’m hearing more and more, so thinking that the No-Diz conversion would be the better route as is a lot more flexible/ adaptable

tubbyG
17-03-2018, 21:09
Hello matey, how are you getting on with the No-Diz conversion? How is it compared to the AEI unit in terms of performance and how the car runs? I, like yourself, want to retain the carb but it is becoming more and more evident the limiting factor will be the ignition system. As I'm doing this engine build from scratch it makes sense to scheme this in now and do away with the factory AEI unit. Hopefully this will allow me to advance the ignition a bit and have the facility to retard on boost. Any advice you can offer?

I can honestly say that I am really pleased with the nodiz system. Not just the product but the customer service that is on offer is second to none.
I contacted them (motorsports electronics) for an issue I was having and the fella was happy to chat about my setup and question everything about my installation. He was also more than happy for me to contact him once rectified to let him know what the fault was.
A big pull for me was that they are a UK based Company who are actively improving their products and continuing to work on new systems.

Anyway, in my opinion.... Installation is easy, inexpensive, :ashamed:compatible parts (sensors etc) are easy and cheap to acquire, UK staff, and despite working on other products to release they are improving the nodiz system as time goes on.

The only issue I have was a communication failure between the ecu and laptop - on my version the only way to edit the map is via Bluetooth. Unfortunately this happened while on the dyno attempting to tune. :cry:

But in the newer versions a cable connection is possible. I have considered upgrading my unit for the latest version just so I have this backup.

Realistically the AEI ignition curve was based on leaded fuel to cover all sorts of conditions all over europe on a standard engine while being safe. I think that having the ability to adapt ignition to modifications and conditions used in is hugely beneficial

Chesney84
18-03-2018, 21:25
Seems like theres no drawback at all (apart from the additional cost of upgrading from the AEI in the first place), will definitely go down this route with mine! Thanks for the feedback/ reply :)

Chesney84
25-04-2018, 06:48
Does the NoDiz system or anything else on the car still utilise the teeth on the flywheel in addition to the trigger wheel on the bottom pulley? Going the same way, with the trigger wheel kit available from efi-parts and buy a no-diz unit, but wondering whether I still need the trigger teeth and crank sensor on the flywheel as well? I’m guessing no, but just double checking...

tubbyG
25-04-2018, 22:46
You are correct, Original Crank sensor is no longer needed :)
The o.e speedo is operated by intercepting the coil pulses through some diodes.
I have my wiring notes somewhere so if you ever need anything I can dig them out - although the nodiz system is a fairly straightforward install

Chesney84
26-04-2018, 08:15
That's great, thank you. Wanted to make sure before I machined the trigger wheel off my spare flywheel! :)