PDA

View Full Version : Help with suspension choice and club shop

Sig
23-08-2015, 21:08
Hello,
So I call on your wisdom once more :agree:
Been doing a lot of reading and think I have made up my mind now on getting Koni all around suspension.
I really wanted the GAZ but look to be not as good????

So the koni ones in the shop look a great price with the discount I just wanted to make sure of something.
Koni Sport shock absorbers in the shop this is for the rear and fronts for £340? and do I need to make another account up to order with the shop as it dose not seem the discount the items down:scratch:

finally can someone tell me what springs I should get and where from? I am not to sure if i want to lower or stay standard hight. Is there anything else I should change out at the same time of doing this also.
Thanks all.

Mr Raider
23-08-2015, 22:38
The full Koni adjustable kit is for 4 shock absorbers, pair of fronts, pair of rears. You need to create a shop account to order them, they are a great bit of kit as I have some just need to fit them after having them ages! :ashamed:

Spring wise the lowest you can go is 35-40mm as if you go lower and a shock absorber develops an issue like a leak it would not be covered by warranty. Personally i ve got some red AVO front springs with a 35mm drop to go on which will look better than yellow springs on orange shocks ;).

You will need to strip your front struts out to see what is required, I would say you will probably need to rub down/paint up your top mounts (these are sided gold & black). Also chances are you will need 2 new top hats, and 2 new shock absorber rubber doughnuts, probably 2 new bearings too whilst its all out. Check condition of shock absorber dust covers as these split, however still available second hand from CGB then you're ready to re-assemble. :)

francob80
24-08-2015, 16:45
I've heard nothing but good things on the GAZ kit and will be what I buy when the times right.

Goobie
24-08-2015, 20:14
As Mr Raider said, your most likely need the other bits, but me personally I would renew those regardless as fairly cheap items, plus as its out in bits it makes sense to renew/refurb where required as will go nicely with new shocks and springs as a over hole package. :cool:

Jeff Ninebar
25-08-2015, 14:33
As has been mentioned above, replace bearings and rubber mounts and re furb top mounts while they are out, if they have been on the car a while they will be worn and rusty.

I'd also do wishbone bushes, ball joints and track rod/ends at the same time, for that new car steering feel.

I have the adjustable Gaz coilovers on the front and dampers on the rear, they are very good and very easy to adjust, you can make a car handle and feel very different to drive with just a few turns of the adjusters. You can set them nice and stiff for cornering or soften it up a bit for bumpy roads and speed bumps.

Koni shocks are very good, I have the STR.T on the front of my V70 and am currently in the process of changing all the shocks on my Audi A4 to STR.T's also.

Sig
25-08-2015, 22:35
Thanks for the help people anyone no where best place to get the springs from and what the standard spring hight is:agree:
Thanks

Mr Raider
26-08-2015, 23:04
Its a tough job finding oe height springs, if Campus springs fitted they are not correct and far too tall. Best bet is some good quality -35mm-40mm lowering springs, Spax, PI or some like those. If you fit new oe springs it will look like its on stilts unfortanately! ;)

Alex
27-08-2015, 16:10
I wouldn't fit OE height springs to be honest. Try some -35mm as suggested or even Apex -50mm like I'm using (on Koni's) :cool:

dave_gtt
28-08-2015, 21:24
I wouldn't fit OE height springs to be honest. Try some -35mm as suggested or even Apex -50mm like I'm using (on Koni's) :cool:

Any issues with fitting those springs with konis? Id like to drop mine a bit more but was afraid the apex would be too low for the konis!