PDA

View Full Version : Harewood Hillclimb practice day

butch
25-03-2015, 16:29
First time out since last September. Timing chain broke after this run so it's new chain, tensioner and inlet valves, thankfully nothing else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoFLHkJsdk

Andyturbo!
25-03-2015, 22:41
Looking great pal, what's your engine spec?

Trevhib
26-03-2015, 10:18
My goodness, there is some commitment there! Great vid.

The car appears to respond very well to steering wheel input; turn in looks great and the car looks very stable. More than that though lag seems almost non-existent and on full chat it looks fffast! Brilliant :agree:

Wallace
26-03-2015, 12:14
What a great video - Thanks for sharing:agree:

Good luck with fixing it all up, and keep the updates on events coming:cool:

Matt_S
26-03-2015, 12:23
Ha! I was just watching your runs from last year this week!

String work. :agree::cool:

butch
26-03-2015, 17:40
Thanks for your comments guys. In answer to andyturbo the spec is basically this
http://www.engine-dynamics.com/EngineBuilds/pid100252/cid160/5GTTurboEngineBuild28Level329.asp
with a garrett gt2650r and scoff setup.
It does handle very well although I do tend to lose it when exploring it's limits:D setup is AVO GTX's and gripper diff.
I'll be doing 23-25 events this year, I'll try not to bore you stupid with vids of all of them! Next outing first competition event is back at Harewood Sunday after Easter then Aintree, Loton Park and Olivers Mount which is first weekend in May. If any of you are interested/never been to a sprint/hillclimb well worth a visit, usually a really wide range of cars to gawp at.

francob80
02-05-2015, 10:48
I absolutely love this car, awesome. Post up more vids when you can. :agree:

butch
05-05-2015, 08:01
I absolutely love this car, awesome. Post up more vids when you can. :agree:

Currently broken:sad:

RussellT
05-05-2015, 13:21
whats the prob Ian? I hope its easy to fix. R

butch
06-05-2015, 08:09
whats the prob Ian? I hope its easy to fix. R

I left Aintree with what sounded like a top end knocking as well as the oil vapour issue. We've changed pushrods, big end and main bearings but no change. Then isolated each cylinder in turn by removing injectors and found it's coming from cylinder 4. Only option is a full rebuild with new/matched pistons/liners/con-rods to be safe, I think the stress it was put under end of last year with the overreving issue has just pushed it over the edge with one problem after another.
I'll be even angrier next season:laugh:

Hope you have a good year

RussellT
06-05-2015, 12:27
sorry to hear that, she was flying.

francob80
20-05-2015, 10:59
Hi Butch,

What series of event do you run in ? Is there a site I could check out to see what the regulations are etc ? I'm just wondering how the classing works.

Cheers

Mark

butch
20-05-2015, 21:44
Hi Butch,

What series of event do you run in ? Is there a site I could check out to see what the regulations are etc ? I'm just wondering how the classing works.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

Russell and I sprint and hillclimb, we are in the same class which is 1b, that's roadgoing up to 2 litres or in our case a lower capacity with a coefficient for being turbocharged/supercharged. There are numerous clubs around the country that offer single venue annual championships such as the one I run in, Harewood Hillclimb near Leeds or multi venue championships taking in circuits like Aintree, Anglesey, Pembrey, Croft and then dedicated sprints or hillclimb venues like ( the world famous ) Shelsley Walsh, Loton Park, Prescott etc.
I only got into this in 2007 at the age of 46, always been car mad but never gave any thought to investigating going racing until I was offered the share of an Elise. Since then it's become the main reason why I work my arse off, so I can indulge myself in developing the car and going quicker each year.
Trackdays are great for pushing your car and having some fun but you are ultimately dictated by the quality of other drivers on the day and the number of idiots that might punt you off. Same goes for circuit racing. The key diffwerence with this is it's you against the clock, if you fall off there's nobody to blame but yourself.
It's also relatively cheap to do a full season, assuming no car issues.
Start by looking on MSA.org for general guidance, Nottingham Sportscar Club who I used to run with have an informative site gosprinting I think it's called and you could do worse than watching Russell's video on how to go sprinting, gives you a real flavour of what to expect.
My job gets me out seeing different people all the time and whenever I meet someone who shows real interest in motorsport/cars I lay it on with a trowel cos I wish I'd found out about this in my 20's or 30's.
When you've been right on the edge for a minute or so on a timed run and you break the timing beam quicker than any other car has ever gone you really feel you're another Senna ( if only for a moment)
Cheap to start with, you'll need a Non Race National B licence, suit lid gloves and pixie boots and then the only other thing you need is a car. I've even seen guys in bog standard unmodified Micras just because it's better than shopping with the wife.
If you want any further guidance come back to me or Russell, we would be happy to assist.

RussellT
20-05-2015, 22:30
https://youtu.be/OirF458TsOo

butch
21-05-2015, 08:06
https://youtu.be/OirF458TsOo

You handsome devil :rolleyes:

Trevhib
21-05-2015, 10:24
After about a minute I became memerised :eek:

:D

Good vid.

francob80
21-05-2015, 11:34
Thank you so much for the reply.

It looks and sounds to be great fun and something I am definitely interested in getting involved with. My passion up until a few years ago was playing football but now due to a dodgy hip & back those days are well and truly over. :crap: I'm 35 now so this should help fill the void. :)

I'm in Cheltenham and luckily there is an event on in Prescott this weekend with quite a few 5's running in one of the classes on Sunday. I'm looking forward to checking it out live.

I'm close to finishing my GTT, phase 1. It is stripped out, 2 buckets and I have a safety devices cage to fit. Standard bottom end, 285 cam, gt2560r turbo, tubular manifold, 2.5inch downpipe, sidewinder side exit, etc etc. I'm thinking i'll need FMIC soon too plus some decent coil overs. Once fuelling on the carb is sorted I am hoping for 200hp (ish)

I guess to start with it will be more about gaining experience than going stupidly quick.

Thanks again for the info, I guess I better get reading on the suggested sites.

Mark

LeeR5GTT
21-05-2015, 15:06
Harewood isn't far from me at all wouldn't mind going this year to spectate :)

butch
21-05-2015, 17:20
Harewood isn't far from me at all wouldn't mind going this year to spectate :)

Next event Sunday 7th June. I'll be out in my recently purchased DC2, just to make up the numbers. If you are coming with others and particularly wife/girlfriend best time to tip up is around 1pm when there is the lunch break, you can wander round the paddock and then the timed runs start early afternoon. If the weathers good it's a lovely place to be, if it's wet and blowing a gale it's better avoided.

visit harewoodhill.com

Antonioconceicao
26-05-2015, 13:07
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I have been racing since 2011, also in USA you need to get a license .

I started by doing track days back in 2009 and then decided to get the license.
Its an great hobby, I have notice that different clubs here have different rules when it comes to grouping the cars. My R5 Gtt will not have a place to race in USA for that I never thought of using at the track .

I begin with a MX5 stock, great little car low HP, takes a huge skill to keep momentum and I currently have a 964 stock G class, old school but amazing at the track.

Last few years I have done racing with the Porsche club mostly because the car grouping is very similar and they have a dyno + ways to track down the cheaters :laugh:

Down the road I hope to do some vintage racing

Antonio

Hi Mark

Russell and I sprint and hillclimb, we are in the same class which is 1b, that's roadgoing up to 2 litres or in our case a lower capacity with a coefficient for being turbocharged/supercharged. There are numerous clubs around the country that offer single venue annual championships such as the one I run in, Harewood Hillclimb near Leeds or multi venue championships taking in circuits like Aintree, Anglesey, Pembrey, Croft and then dedicated sprints or hillclimb venues like ( the world famous ) Shelsley Walsh, Loton Park, Prescott etc.
I only got into this in 2007 at the age of 46, always been car mad but never gave any thought to investigating going racing until I was offered the share of an Elise. Since then it's become the main reason why I work my arse off, so I can indulge myself in developing the car and going quicker each year.
Trackdays are great for pushing your car and having some fun but you are ultimately dictated by the quality of other drivers on the day and the number of idiots that might punt you off. Same goes for circuit racing. The key diffwerence with this is it's you against the clock, if you fall off there's nobody to blame but yourself.
It's also relatively cheap to do a full season, assuming no car issues.
Start by looking on MSA.org for general guidance, Nottingham Sportscar Club who I used to run with have an informative site gosprinting I think it's called and you could do worse than watching Russell's video on how to go sprinting, gives you a real flavour of what to expect.
My job gets me out seeing different people all the time and whenever I meet someone who shows real interest in motorsport/cars I lay it on with a trowel cos I wish I'd found out about this in my 20's or 30's.
When you've been right on the edge for a minute or so on a timed run and you break the timing beam quicker than any other car has ever gone you really feel you're another Senna ( if only for a moment)
Cheap to start with, you'll need a Non Race National B licence, suit lid gloves and pixie boots and then the only other thing you need is a car. I've even seen guys in bog standard unmodified Micras just because it's better than shopping with the wife.
If you want any further guidance come back to me or Russell, we would be happy to assist.