PDA

View Full Version : Suspension springs recommendations?

fred rowland
08-03-2015, 19:29
I have just received my new koni sport shocks and now need some springs to go with. Can any one recommend a pair? My car has the heavier clio Williams f7r engine fitted and it's used for fast road/ track use. Unsure of what pound springs to use also.
Any help would be great.:)

beng
08-03-2015, 20:09
I'm thinking of fitting H&R to mine, not sure if that's the best idea. I've got the original engine still so it's different anyway.

Where did you get your shocks and how much if you don't mind ;)

fred rowland
10-03-2015, 19:24
Hi mate, i got them online at a place called DCperformance. forget the price but something like £370. would recomend the company as the transaction was very easy and came quickly.
where did you get the H&R springs from?

fred rowland
10-03-2015, 19:30
Oh yeah, i see you havent yet got the springs! :laugh:

1988cab
11-03-2015, 09:32
I have the koni shocks and got some HR springs but haven't had them on the road yet! I got the springs a while back from euro car parts. Hopefully test them out in a few weeks:agree:

Ian S
11-03-2015, 12:07
Do you know the open length and spring rate?

IIRC, mine were 8 1/2 inches and 250lbs per inch. Less length and they would fall out of the seats when the car is jacked up.

That lowered the front by about 25mm or so.

A couple of other people here had 300lb springs and Koni re-valved the front shocks for one of them. Should probably have softer bump and firmer rebound.

For me, that reduced the under steer quite a bit, very especially turning into 90° back doubles and was great on roundabouts. Not sure about fast sweeping bends where the back might start to come out. Apparently sometimes firmer rear springs are needed there but we can't do much about that with the 5.

My springs were custom made and it was maybe 15 years ago. Through Big Jim though someone he knew; he's lost that contact now. I don't know what company made them.

beng
11-03-2015, 12:28
I think daemon tweeks are the cheapest and about 110 quid for hr springs

Ian S
11-03-2015, 12:46
DCperformance. £370http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/koni-sport-front-dampers/renault/5.html Front and rear for £448 + post. Did you get a discount?

Ian S
11-03-2015, 12:47
I paid about £50 for the pair of custom front springs. But that was a trade price and all those years ago.

fred rowland
15-03-2015, 16:20
http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/koni-sport-front-dampers/renault/5.html Front and rear for £448 + post. Did you get a discount?

No discount just a shit memory, maybe I did pay £448+ postage.:confused:

fred rowland
15-03-2015, 16:25
I went in a raider a few years back with apex lowering springs and was quite impressed with the ride.
Does anyone have any experience or views with them on track?

Matt_S
15-03-2015, 18:21
I went in a raider a few years back with apex lowering springs and was quite impressed with the ride.

I have with the std 25 year old shocks (assuming original!)

Springs felt ok. The shocks let it down. The car changed completely once I'd done a few laps and got some heat into the shocks.

Alex
16-03-2015, 12:59

I use the -50mm Apex/KTR springs with Koni shocks. They work pretty well on track IMO.

That said I'd like to try some custom springs at some point.

Goobie
16-03-2015, 14:17
I use the -50mm Apex/KTR springs with Koni shocks. They work pretty well on track IMO.

This set up for road use. :agree:

fred rowland
23-03-2015, 20:54
I used -50mm AJ tuning springs on my konis both on track and road and they seem pretty good i must admit however koni recommend a max drop of -35, oops!
its a buggar to know what to use really.

Kieron
29-03-2015, 02:27
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I'm using Gaz adjustable coilovers, they seem really good, with the damping set to soft it's a decent drive, also they are really easy to re-adjust If needed, there about £450.