PDA

View Full Version : reserve tank pump

Ryan p
24-01-2009, 20:25
since iv been using my raider for the last month iv noticed that the reserve pump runs intermitant even with a half a tank of fuel plus the red light comes on very dim as well but not all the time when the pump runs. if i press the brake pedal it goes out which leads me to belive it may be a earlth problem but iv checked an cleaned the ones i can think of. iv tried a known good fuel pump relay an the clocks an still the same, can some shead some light on where the pump is powerd from or has any one come across this before :)

Woznaldo
24-01-2009, 20:44
Have a look at this:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa40/woznaldo/R5%20GTT%20Wiring%20Diagrams/Auxillaryfuelpump.jpg

The 'Auxiliary Pump Timer' is located behind the interior panel next to the RH rear seat.

chrisb
24-01-2009, 22:40
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

When my raider was new the reserve tank pump used to kick in regulaly when the fuel was low, you could get another 30 odd miles from the tank from the indicated empty level, however, now the car is 19 years old i prefer the guesstimation approach ie. keep it full enough for the journey in case the reserve tank pump doesen't work.
The Haynes manual is ok but you can never rely on it 100% for information or wiring diagrams so try to check the wiring as far as you can.

Nick k
25-01-2009, 10:33
since iv been using my raider for the last month iv noticed that the reserve pump runs intermitant even with a half a tank of fuel plus the red light comes on very dim as well but not all the time when the pump runs. if i press the brake pedal it goes out which leads me to belive it may be a earlth problem but iv checked an cleaned the ones i can think of. iv tried a known good fuel pump relay an the clocks an still the same, can some shead some light on where the pump is powerd from or has any one come across this before :)

Does sound like a earth issue. The earth path for the sender, pumps,rear light cluster all goes through the plug in drivers kick well on the same loom. I would give the contacts a good clean and see how you go. :) Earth point in passengers kick well too!!