PDA

View Full Version : much changed?

evogill
27-12-2014, 11:05
just going threw threads, out of interest from last Christmas to now, is there much of a difference in members numbers?..i know fews not rejoined and some left !! but I still keep noticing theres new members appearing. I paid in advance other week so ur stuck with me for another 12 months! lol

R5MJH
27-12-2014, 11:24
good man lol even though there were some that left the numbers remain around the same about 400 paid members this has been around the running number for the last 2/3 years so numbers are about the same mate

evogill
27-12-2014, 12:12
that's or8 then, all that gets thrown around is negative leavers, ...all still queit good then. herd complaint of £15, that pisses me off. £15 is half hour fun of petrol, I pay £35 membership for mlr evo club, its has a strong following with free pen,keyring, calendar and quarterly mag, but they have a good discount offerin threw most traders, if this new package of rtoc bits all arrives to everyone I personally think £15 is bog all to moan about, cant wait to get out in the new year to some meets, been to several meets, no one really knew who I was,..didn't have 5... but it will be good to get my 5 out to the meets with rest of lads.

Matty
27-12-2014, 13:09
I'm new on here, but I'm looking forward to going to some meets next year to meet some people off here and see some of their nice 5s on here for a bit of inspiration. :)

I'm taking mine to the Le Mans 24hr next year and I was going to see if any others we're going and thinking of taking their 5? :cool:

Matt Cole
27-12-2014, 13:34
Glad your happy matey. :)

Yeah we are under constant criticism and negativity from other people who run, not really a club, but a free forum. Not sure why as it's all a new committee on here now. We are really trying our best with one guy (Mick) teaching himself web development! We don't want to be in competition and having the membership fee allows us to buy stock for the shop, subsidise events and develop the new website and shop.

RTOC still has more members online everyday than other Renault turbo clubs. What we are lacking is more project threads and forum traffic as we are pretty much a site for knowledge.

Matt

Matty
27-12-2014, 14:42
£15 is a no brainer really, I've nearly saved that much in discount from the shop. :agree:

Is the new site able to host pictures? Maybe that would encourage project threads to be regularly updated?

evogill
27-12-2014, 14:53
spot on!!... I wouldn't have had a 5 if it wasn't for this site and seeing threw the forums how helpfull it was ,that's why I joined. just bit frustraiting at times when no one replys for days, ....but all have lives! I do agree about photos, I have hundreds on my rebuild but kept to a minimum as my kids post them for me,and they get very impatient, im useless with computer,

Trevhib
27-12-2014, 15:22
£15 is a no brainer really, I've nearly saved that much in discount from the shop. :agree:

Is the new site able to host pictures? Maybe that would encourage project threads to be regularly updated?

Hi Matty. The current site can host pictures. Members are able to create and populate album folders on their profiles and then link the URLs in a project thread. Like here, with the following pic from my album (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=1890&pictureid=10493):

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=1890&pictureid=10493

That said, there are limits on file size and file types. Not sure yet what the new site will allow. :agree:

R5MJH
27-12-2014, 15:33

it will already transfer the attachments and any links posted, I need to purchase a album gallery importer so we can get the current albums from here to the new site and then you will be able to add new photos etc to it mate:agree:

Matty
27-12-2014, 17:15
Ah I didn't know that! I used to use photobucket, then I exceeded my free limit and I refuse to pay £5 a month for the privilege, so I've started using images shack, which is so slow to upload. I've got Plenty of stuff going on with my build, so I'll give it a go hosting go here. :agree:

Matt Cole
27-12-2014, 17:26
It's all going to get easier with the new website. Plus we have new items planned for the shop all to help with keeping the french rust buckets on the road!:)

Thundercat
27-12-2014, 18:51
Its time Trevhib got another 5!

Slammed 66
27-12-2014, 19:41
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=1890&pictureid=10493

I would actually sell body parts for that phase 1 :cool:

Must get another silver one!

Trevhib
28-12-2014, 11:08
Its time Trevhib got another 5!

I agree. First however, it's time Trev's business, that he's been working on for five years more or less, started to return a profit such that it pays his way, before he is able to consider buying a fourth GTT with what's leftover. :(

By the time I'm in that position there will Gordini type numbers of GTTs left on the road. :sad2:

Matty
28-12-2014, 12:27
I know what you mean Trev, I've been making custom exhausts for a few years now, most of the profits go into making new tooling or buying material to make others. I've got a full time job too, so makes for a long week, and time working on my own cars is few and far between.

Trevhib
28-12-2014, 16:46
Keep at it :agree:

Once you're worked for yourself fully you never want to work for anyone else again. It's like a one-way street!

Slammed 66
28-12-2014, 17:36
I've been making custom exhausts for a few years now.

Ooh!

Let's talk downpipes and 2.5" custom exhaust systems :)

RTOC member discounts perhaps ;)

Matty
28-12-2014, 18:01
You tell me what you want and I'll tell you if I can make it. :p

I've got a downpipe on its way to make a jig up as I'm making one for mine. Although the I'm planning on using a gt series turbo with a bell mouth exhaust fitment and a separate clamp plate. Basically like this. But I can do any T series aswell. I've also just finished my collector jig to make my own stainless manifold for the c1j as I don't like to look of the ones currently available.

If seen lots of people talking about the BMS downpipes, but I'm yet to find a picture of one to see what made them soo good? The only limitation to the downpipes size I can see, is the size of the pipe it joins too. I'm yet to look at the sizing of the joins at that point but I'm thinking of going down the v band clamp route and making a new link pipe up if the bore size reduces massively at that point. I'm sure others are more familiar with the downfalls of the standard setup than I am, but I know the cast elbow is one, but I'm up aware of others at the moment?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/905/YdLQOp.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/p5YdLQOpj)

Matty
28-12-2014, 18:02
Keep at it :agree:

Once you're worked for yourself fully you never want to work for anyone else again. It's like a one-way street!

That's the plan Trev, slowly but surely! I just don't want to be taking loans or jumping ship from my current job too soon.

LiamR
29-12-2014, 00:02
And back on subject................

If you could knock up some sort of down pipe that would fit the majority of members cars as well as a manifold, I am sure the rtoc would commit to a set amount for the club shop :)

I know new items are planned in the shop for the transgression across to the new website- it would be the perfect opportunity to offer these out. Have a think about it :agree:

Matty
29-12-2014, 09:40
Pm sent Liam, happy to help expand the shop. :agree:

Matt Cole
29-12-2014, 11:28

Excellent Matt. Always good to see what the skilled members can come up with.:agree:

Trevhib
29-12-2014, 12:17
A free board lets registered non-members see some of what's available on RTOC so they can get some idea if it's worth the membership fee.

:):agree:

Slammed 66
29-12-2014, 15:03

Are 2.5" systems something that you could produce in numbers without need a vehicle there each time for the build?

James5
29-12-2014, 15:09
Are 2.5" systems something that you could produce in numbers without need a vehicle there each time for the build?

Lol funny I pm'd him about this earlier today, I enquired about a true 2.5" system no reductions in bends no baffles in pipes and only silencer being the back box which I also enquired to use of a small box with 2.5" internal bore one the same in which the ktec Sidey uses and a 3" or 3.5" rolled out tailpipe:agree:

I am not sure on demand but I want one:D

Slammed 66
29-12-2014, 15:11
Exactly what was going through my head james. Sounds like an order for two of those systems straight away :cool:

R5MJH
29-12-2014, 15:21
mike was lucky finding his complete 2.5 system then by the sounds of it

LiamR
29-12-2014, 15:35

I'll reply in a bit and see what we can do here for the club.

Matty
29-12-2014, 16:10
Yeah I've been speaking to James about them. Should be doable, I would need a standard rear section of a system to copy the bend angles etc...then I could just make jigs up and it would be just a straight bolt on system.

I'm open to suggestions on what people want? It may be an ideal time to ditch the join on the downpipe too, as this would be the biggest restriction in the system once it is all 2.5". It could be vee band, or it could just be a slip join to the onto the downpipe with spring retainers, andy a flexi just after the bend on the heel board...

turbo ted
29-12-2014, 19:22
I've got a full stainless steel 2-1/2 system sat in my shed doing nothing at the moment sorry its not for sale for my next project.
I bought it from k-tec six years ago and was very happy with the fitment as it never hit the body or rear axle, I could loan the system if you wanted to copy it but I live in Ireland now and expensive to post.
have a full custom 3''system fitted now and that goes over the rear axle at full bore,you would need the car to fit 3''system as its so tight.
regards robbie

Ian S
29-12-2014, 20:38
If you wanted to make a few for buyers here, and the quality was good enough so RTOC was certain to have to comebacks from buyers, the club could probably buy a couple for the shop. Would you be offering a warranty direct to the buyers?

I used to do that with Big Jim Racing who made the downpipes. I would commission him to make 10 at a time and he'd 'drop ship' them so we didn't have to stock them. He would get the flanges laser cut specially for those and used 'easy bends'.

With a 2 1/2" system there is no restriction at the join at the support plate with the springs, to the pipe under the car.

IIRC, we bought about 30 of the Raceland stainless manifolds, most of which were paid for and sold before we placed the order. We bought some extra for the shop but they all sold very quickly.

Matt Cole
29-12-2014, 20:39
I've got a full stainless steel 2-1/2 system sat in my shed doing nothing at the moment sorry its not for sale for my next project.
I bought it from k-tec six years ago and was very happy with the fitment as it never hit the body or rear axle, I could loan the system if you wanted to copy it but I live in Ireland now and expensive to post.
have a full custom 3''system fitted now and that goes over the rear axle at full bore,you would need the car to fit 3''system as its so tight.
regards robbie

Robbie love what you have done with your exhaust. Wish I could do the same. For easiness I'm making my own 3" side exit.

Matty
29-12-2014, 20:46
regards robbie

Thanks for the offer Robbie, I may take you up on that if I can't get one sourced more locally. But I know some couriers are getting fussy about shipping used exhausts now (classed has hazardous) :laugh: so may work out a bit of a pain to sort out. Will let you know if I need it though, thanks.

Matty
29-12-2014, 20:59
If you wanted to make a few for buyers here, and the quality was good enough so RTOC was certain to have to comebacks from buyers, the club could probably buy a couple for the shop. Would you be offering a warranty direct to the buyers?

I used to do that with Big Jim Racing who made the downpipes. I would commission him to make 10 at a time and he'd 'drop ship' them so we didn't have to stock them. He would get the flanges laser cut specially for those and used 'easy bends'.

With a 2 1/2" system there is no restriction at the join at the support plate with the springs, to the pipe under the car.

IIRC, we bought about 30 of the Raceland stainless manifolds, most of which were paid for and sold before we placed the order. We bought some extra for the shop but they all sold very quickly.

What are the 'easy bends' are they the ones with an expanded end to sleeve over the next pipe? The ones I get done are either 1.5 or 1.2mm mandrel drawn bends, so no reduction of bore accros the bend. The 1.2 is only needed when tighter bends are required, which doesn't look the case on the 5...plenty of room.

I've got a cad drawing for the T25 downpipe flange, so that shouldn't be a problem to get lasercut, but I'll have to draw one up for a T2, but my supplier may already have that on file as it's quite common.

Have you got a picture of the raceland manifolds at all?

Ian S
29-12-2014, 21:53
Perhaps it's a brand name, but seems to be the same as you describe yours to be, pre-made bends, that he would weld together.

Not really sure now, but in the end he might have been able to do it with just one weld of two pre-made bends and then weld the the two end flanges. He also had a jig to hold all the parts in place.

I don't think I have any photos now of that or the manifolds. Maybe someone else here has?

James5
29-12-2014, 22:25
Be cool to have the Back box with a welded on plaque with Laser cut text something along the lines of "www.RTOC.org Special Edition" on it aswell :D (not the tailpipe just on the back box itself). Not sure how much something like that would cost.

Matty
29-12-2014, 22:45
I think I've found a pic now, if they are the ones I've seen they look good...better than the ones ive seen on eBay!

I've always said to people in the past, that if the manifold/downpipe cracks then it'll be repaired FOC, but I've never had one returned for cracking, so happy to sort any issues out.

I'm currently making a manifold and downpipe for mine, so I'll get that finished, post up some pictures and then run it for a couple of months on my daily and report back. If people are happy with the quality (can always arrange a meet up with local reps with the parts) then go from there?

With regards to the rest of the system, from downpipe back they are relatively stress free compared to the manifold and downpipe due to the EGTs being lower, and more room to expand and contract, so there should be no reason at all for them to crack. So i can always look into making them for the few that want them, (probably one for myself:coffee:) and get some feedback, and go from there?

Matt Cole
29-12-2014, 23:27
Excellent if this came off Matty. :agree:

Slammed 66
30-12-2014, 00:18
As above.

Would really love to see available 2.5" systems.

Matty
30-12-2014, 08:17
Ok, I'll get some parts sorted to do a 2.5" system with 3" outward rolled lip. I might be able to get the measurements I need off the exhaust on my car, but as its my daily I'll have to do it with the exhaust in place.

Ian S
30-12-2014, 12:01
I have a complete 2½" system in my cellar that I've had for 10 years and never used (as I had the 2½" side exit fitted). I bought it from 5 alive in Lewisham, London. It's a one off bespoke item I think.

The point of interest is that to get over the rear beam they took the pipe into the top of the chunky but short silencer and diagonally through it, exiting nearer the bottom of the rear.

That does mean it not so straight through as the gas flow will have to bend about 30° onto the perforated tube, then again into the tail pipe. Does that significantly hamper flow with the litres per second of gas from a 1.4 litre, or so, at 25psi boost? After all, it's already bent through 90° four times on the way to the rear box.

turbo ted
31-12-2014, 17:30
Picture of the 2 1/2 system

James5
31-12-2014, 17:42
Picture of the 2 1/2 system

:agree:

I would like a much smaller back box :laugh:

Matty
31-12-2014, 19:20
James - The backbox I was thinking of using is more like 4" OD. So quite a bit smaller than that one. :agree:

Thanks for the pic ted, From looking at that, I think I've got enough bends to mock this up in sections. I can then see about getting it copied in a single piece (well the two bends close together).

Ian - the main thing to avoid is having bends that reduce in area accross the bend, lobster backing pipes to force an angle, the sharp inner edge causes on these joins causing the gases the slow, and generally don't look nice. Lol

Matty
14-01-2015, 22:33
I received my downpipe today, so I've made a start on making a jig for it. I'm collecting a full system over the weekend, ready for taking dimensions, and I've got some T2 and T25 flanges on order. :) it's been a busy couple of weeks! ive just been offered a premises local to me that looks good, so hopefully I'll have my own fully kitted fab shop in the not too distant future. :D

Will get some photos up when I get the mock ups done. And probably start a new thread at the same time. :agree:

R5dimmaKnight
15-01-2015, 00:05
Sweet mate excellent work may I add . Like so many others once the exhaust system is complete I'll definitely be after one of those bad boys :)

Nad-5GTT
15-01-2015, 00:39
Good stuff, look forward to the pics. Would love a one piece downpipe but weather I can afford one is a different story 😕